trackball or mouse?

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Until last night I had a working serial trackball. I had a spare ps/2 mouse that I thought I could convert to a trackball. Basically I wanted a ps/2 trackball. Stayed up until 5AM soldering the pieces together and eventually came out with two trashed mouse and trackball. For a split second I thought the mouse on screen moved, but it wasn't to be.

Now I'm planning on getting a new trackball if possible, but ones designed for gaming are hard to find. I want one of those rectangular-shaped ones; the pro look.

Which input device do you use for gaming or other computer related activities? I see Microsoft has a new mouse, capable of 6000 captures/s, and then there's Logitech's dual optical; both are close to $50.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
wow, you can seriously use a trackball for gaming?

*once* i met someone who did that...it was incredible...he was actually pretty decent too

but the truth is that i'd say well over 90% of gamers use a regular mouse.

sometimes, people have both. just sit the trackball aside when gaming, and use it when surfing, etc..

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I've had this trackball for about a year. The design is perfect for my fps games(UT and Q3). I've tried going back to mouse but my precision was thrown off. In UT, when faced with a shock- rifle one-on-one, you have to keep the mouse steady when performing the 2nd-mode shock-rifle shot; with a trackball I can lift my fingers off the ball while pressing the buttons, but with a mouse you can easily move it when tapping at the bottons and you end up receiving a shock blast for your clumsiness.

I also like the fact that my entire hand does not have to move; just my fingers.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
erwin1978, I have always used a mouse instead of a trackball, just my personal preference. I've tired the two trackballs you mention and have to say that if I was forced to re-learn cursor movement, I'd go w/ the MS one, seemed more comfortable to me, but then again, personaly preference. WOW, that was one long run-on sentence :)

Bahelion

Nov 27, 2001
Personally, I like standard mice, the trackball takes more skill than I have. I play quake II and III, heavy gear II and mech warrior II and III. I guess it boils down to preference and skill.

Dewey

Mar 17, 2001
I tried a trackball and hated it. It just wasn't comfortable for me and I wasn't able to operate the ball smoothly.