Track and Fields record breaking

rip22

Oct 29, 2001
I was just watching an ol tape from the 88 Soul olympics and i was thinking that if the sensational Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson hadn't got caught for steriods he would propably have gone close to 9 seconds flat! :D I mean his trainer said that he had been clocked for 9.60 something during training.

What do you thing are the limits in track and fields will we just see one record after another get beaten by evry new generation? Are there any limits to the human body for what it can achive in terms of high performance?

I think that eventually it will not be the physical part that will determine the best performance but technology. Better material shoes and clothes etc. But in terms of pure physical ability i wonder if the athlets of today are more well trained/fit/stronger then those of the 80's.

Your thoughts....

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
You're forgetting another VERY important aspect of speed sports as well and that is technique. New techniques are being integrated to achieve greater effects. Remember a long long time ago when high jumpers used to try and hurdle the bar? Now, we find you can clear a much higher bar by twisting yourself when you jump so that you're facing up.

But I do think people are getting stronger, taller, faster and, combined with improved technology, we will continue to break records.

Edit: BTW, 9.6 seconds is nowhere near "9 seconds flat". 6/10ths of a second is an eternity for a race that's measured in thousandths of a second.

rip22

Oct 29, 2001
You're forgetting another VERY important aspect of speed sports as well and that is technique. New techniques are being integrated to achieve greater effects. Remember a long long time ago when high jumpers used to try and hurdle the bar? Now, we find you can clear a much higher bar by twisting yourself when you jump so that you're facing up.

You are right Technique is very important. I agree.

Edit: BTW, 9.6 seconds is nowhere near "9 seconds flat". 6/10ths of a second is an eternity for a race that's measured in thousandths of a second.

Considering the jumps in 10/ths that Johnson made during his carrier i wouldnt have been suprised if he had gona as fast as 9 second flat :D Just look at his jump start and almost relaxing finish from 80m to the end. Looked like a sunday picnic for him :D

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Considering the jumps in 10/ths that Johnson made during his carrier i wouldnt have been suprised if he had gona as fast as 9 second flat :D Just look at his jump start and almost relaxing finish from 80m to the end. Looked like a sunday picnic for him :D

Just because he looks like he's not even trying, it doesnt mean that he can go faster. Also, sprinters have it easy.....the 100 is one of the easiest races. I don't mean that it's easy to be good at, I mean that when theyre done their race, they dont look tired, and they recover within secounds. Try running the 300 or 400 hurdles, and youll feel a hard race:)

<======== Doesnt like 100 sprinters:D

rip22

Oct 29, 2001
..hehe i remember the 400m hurdle from school you are right damn it was tough....running full speed for 100 vs 400 is two diffrent things...thats why i admire Michael Johnson 200 and 400 meter world record holder! But still the one that is fastest in 100 is considered to be the fastest man on earth! What i like with 100m is the speed and power the athlets demonstrate...you can almost feel the adrenalin when they line up and prepare themselves, its completely silent in the stadium for a moment and evryone is excited and when the signal comes there is no looking back or tactics its your race. :)

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
<<when the signal comes there is no looking back or tactics its your race.>>

There sure is a tactic... run like hell :)

Also, athletes are being discovered much earlier now and are training harder for longer periods of their lives. I bet the original olympians didn't train for their event very much, but they just picked the fastest guy from each city to go and race.