TR status update... Seti News...

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, I've got back into Crunching for the team...S@H...

I wanted to get a good base line with TR 1950X at stock levels (3400 Mhz). It was kinda hard, because of outages and slow network problems ... Left us all with no work for days.

But, they seem to be doing good and giving stable work now...

Anyway, at stock speeds and looking at my average (I guess it's daily???) it says 13,500...

Seemed to level off for a few days...

Just gave the TR a bump, from stock 3.4 Ghz to 3.6Ghz... Temps have climbed as well as I notice now they were at 60's, now they are 63 64 C. Still in the very conservative safe zone. Want to stay in the low 70's. Even if it means going stock base clocks.

I am just testing the CPU for now....

Maybe after a few more bumps and running for a few days... I want to make sure the system is stable...and what a better way to test it while running seti 24/7! :D

So far I am really liking the performance of this CPU. Runs cool with full 32 threads running full tilt...

Noticed when I run the 1080ti, the CPU temps also jump...I have a few more fans coming in, and I'm hoping it will help with this, as I have 6 case fans already. I'm thinking a few more at the top may help pull out more cooler air in across both GPU/CPU. We'll see. If I can't get decent temps on air with the 1080ti, I might consider a custom loop for both CPU and GPU. Even tho the CPU is on an AIO closed loop enermax for now to keep the temps down for 24/7 applications.

So, this thread will be a running log of mine.

Base clock: 3400Mhz --- Host Avg: 13,500 Temp Avg: 60C Watts Avg: 250 Cinebench: 2990
2/11/18
Overclock: 3600Mhz --- Host Avg: 17,500 Temp Avg: 64C Watts Avg: ~300 Cinebench: 3090
---------------------------
Update
2/16/18 --- Notes Received and installed two more 140mm case fans.
OC: 3600Mhz --- Host Avg: TBD Tmp Avg: 61C / Geforce 1080ti Avg 61C Watts ~495

even tho the view 31 states that only 2 140mm fans will fit up front, I hacked it!

27913179_10211995143940018_2315150769543218869_o.jpg

The fans are doing so good, that I've decided to let it rip with the GPU and CPU running full time. But later will do a test for the GPU by itself, just to see how much more faster it is over the a thread ripper... I am pretty impressed now, that these fans I have mounted 3 140mm fans stacked in the front, the case manufacture said it wouldn't work but I figure out a way to cram all 3 in there. I added one more on the bottom, room for another 140mm if needed. I may do some more testing later on for overclocking but for me, I think it's running stable at 3.6 Ghz and Ram clocked to 3000 running stable for 100% 24/7 for 5 days straight should be fine. No crashes, no issues so far.

---------

Now for some Seti News...

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/nasa-should-start-funding-seti-again/

An interesting read... from the "giggle" factor... to "erroneous perception that, since radio SETI has been active for decades, its failure to date means there is nothing to find. "

I think the research is worth investing in... We can only hope that NASA will pump in a few dollars to this amazing research that we in DC land are all apart of... Been crunching and supporting seti for well over 20 years now (off and on).

Happy reading and crunch on space fans!

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Noticed when I run the 1080ti, the CPU temps also jump...I have a few more fans coming in, and I'm hoping it will help with this, as I have 6 case fans already. I'm thinking a few more at the top may help pull out more cooler air in across both GPU/CPU. We'll see.
Depending on the available inlets and outlets of the case, maybe you can add an internal divider, e.g. made from cardboard, which keeps the air streams through CPU cooler and GPU cooler separate from each other.

Though I read that leaving off the side panel is the DCer's patent solution to this problem.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Depending on the available inlets and outlets of the case, maybe you can add an internal divider, e.g. made from cardboard, which keeps the air streams through CPU cooler and GPU cooler separate from each other.

Though I read that leaving off the side panel is the DCer's patent solution to this problem.
My solution.....

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Ha! How about just toss the motherboard on boxes with the antistatic bags underneath! Who needs cases? :D Been there done that!

Problem, is... I'm not in a basement or have a dedicated room, this is my office, and it's suppose to look like an office, not some sort of science experiment! LOL. That's why I went with just one computer, not two AMD 1700's.

I think I fixed my problem tho! Two 140mm case fans seemed to have solved my problem! I think I just needed one more pushing air over the CPU/Video Card area, and another one intaking cool air from the bottom. Now with both running full speed they remain in the low 60's temps. I can deal with that, and am pretty happy about the outcome. I thought I was gonna have to buy a custom water block for the TR and 1080...