[TPU] Dystopian nightmare for gaming(!)

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
"An artificial intelligence (AI) will deliberately tamper with your online gameplay as you scramble for more in-game items to win. The same AI will manipulate your state of mind at every step of your game to guide you towards more micro-transactions. Nothing in-game is truly fixed-rate. The game maps out your home, and cross-references it with your online footprint, to have a socio-economic picture of you, so the best possible revenue model, and anti buyer's remorse strategy can be implemented on you. It also proposes using an AI to consistently "alter" the player's gameplay, such that the player's actions don't have the desired result leading toward beating the game, but towards an "unfair" consequence that motivates more in-game spending."

As one of the comments below the article observed, this is simply the natural result of "telemetry + pay2win". Sounds like a perfect match for this:-
"Game publisher Activision has already patented a way to drive in-game purchases by manipulating "matchmaking,". This week, eagle-eyed YouTuber YongYea deserves credit for discovering a similar, though not identical, matchmaking-manipulation scheme being researched and promoted by researchers at game publisher EA. Current matchmaking systems pair similarly skilled players on the assumption that a fair game is best player experience [sic]," the paper begins. "We will demonstrate, however, that this intuitive assumption sometimes fails and that matchmaking based on fairness is not optimal for [monetization] engagement."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-algorithms-to-favor-engagement-not-fairness/

^ I used to get angry over this stuff before eventually realising you can either choose to fuel it with "well I don't like it but I'll make an exception THIS TIME because it's my favorite franchise" excuses, or you can choose to step outside of its "matrix" completely and refocus on what you like not what you don't like. Last year was the first year in +35 years of gaming (going back to MS-DOS 2.0 & Commodore 64), that I didn't buy a single "premium" hyped-to-the-hills AAA title and have completely lost all interest in modern online multi-player games.

What's Battlefield 2018 or Anthem going to be like? Don't know, don't care. EA, etc, are already completely dead to me (and it's pretty obvious they're researching this 2017-early 2018 in order to put it into late +2018, 2019, 2020, etc, future titles). My money now goes to the smaller Indie & middleweight (Larian, CDPR, etc) studios still capable of making proper whole completed (and actually new & different) games without insulting your intelligence. Looking forward to decent future single-player titles like Pillars of Eternity 2, Metro: Exodus, The Talos Principle 2, etc.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
This is inevitable and not just in games but for our entire life in the not too distant future. Sometimes I wonder how these systems will deal with people like me who never participate in micro transactions because you know there is a suit somewhere demanding the system finds a way to get us to buy.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I have a policy of never buying in game things. So they lose spending money on this.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Is there an example where micro transactions were successful in a big name game? Most recent examples actually had so much backlash they got pulled or the game did poorly. This model seems to work in mobile gaming where people have short attention spans and need their quick fix. For traditional gamers I doin't think the same strategy of monetizing everything and anything will really work. People simply won't buy the game or in the case of a free game will decide it's not worth playing.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
The emergence and apparent popularity of the "gaming lifestyle" industry has me thinking there are enough chumps for EA and Activision to ride this train for a long time.

If we're lucky, either indie devs or some pet project at one of the big guys will come out without this crap like a breath of fresh air and upend the industry.