[ TPU ] AMD FSR 2.0

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

Comparable IQ and performance to DLSS 2.3, proving you never needed Tensor cores for this sort of thing. DLSS is nothing more than vendor lock-in.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Its one game folks, along with a handful of reviewer's subjective opinion on how things look. FSR 2.0's list of upcoming games is pretty underwhelming as well.

Let's wait for a more comprehensive review before popping the Champaign corks here.

Also this "better than native" language needs to go die in a fire. Better than Native + crappy TAA maybe, but not better than native with an actual functional AA solution associated with it.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Also this "better than native" language needs to go die in a fire. Better than Native + crappy TAA maybe, but not better than native with an actual functional AA solution associated with it.

Hear, hear! It could potentially be "indistinguishable" from native, but better than native makes no sense.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

'Native' is still just a bag of tricks to mimic what you would see in reality, at an acceptable rendering cost. It's not actually what you would get if you'd film reality with a camera that has the same resolution as your screen. Anti-aliasing is just another trick, but one that is very expensive if you do it well.

Temporal upscaling actually does something similar to MSAA, in that both use multi-sampling of higher quality source material to produce better detail. However, MSAA is more like FSR 1 as it doesn't use previous frames. If you use DLSS/FSR 2 without any upscaling, it effectively becomes a relatively cheap anti-aliasing method.

Ultimately, you can of course do better if you give the PC 10 minutes to render each frame, rendering at 16k and then supersampling that to get top-tier anti-aliasing, but you don't get a playable game that way. Ultimately, it's all about doing as much as possible with a certain rendering time budget. My impression is that at least Nvidia thinks that people are going to prefer upscaled raytracing over having a rasterized 'native' image in the future, at the same FPS (and thus rendering budget).

Whether that is true remains to be seen. It's always hard to know what people prefer, especially since we don't necessarily prefer the most realistic image.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Dribble

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Its one game folks, along with a handful of reviewer's subjective opinion on how things look. FSR 2.0's list of upcoming games is pretty underwhelming as well.

Let's wait for a more comprehensive review before popping the Champaign corks here.

After reading this reply, your avatar checks out. That face embodies what I read. :D

I think negativity towards FSR is misplaced. I popped the champaign the moment FSR arrived. Why? It's free. It is inclusive of competing hardware. It is attempting to offer better performance without the traditional sacrifice of visuals. And while it appears to scale better on hardware that doesn't need its help quite as much, any performance increase is welcomed IMO.

I have a strong distaste for the narrative some reviewers have chosen. They come off more like they are pimping DLSS than doing a compare and contrast of technical approaches. Maybe spend the minute it takes, to CLEARLY point out, that DLSS is a solution reserved for Nvidia's most expensive product line. And then CLEARLY point out, that even some budget gamers' almost seven and a half year old GTX 960 can get a little boost from FSR. They kinda sorta give the information. But it is done in a greasy used car salesperson way, for lack of a better description coming to mind.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
APU Wars - Hybrid Cross Fire
APU Wars - Ongoing APU Review by AtenRa
Core i3 4330 vs Kaveri in dGPU 1080p Gaming
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 Gaming upgrade path CPU or GPU ?
Core i3 6300 mini Review
60 Minutes CPU performance and Energy consumption in Gaming
Hey brah, your sig links need updating they are in the deprecated/older Anandtech forum URLs that no longer resolve.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Digital Foundry:

Not bad for first attempt. Sharpening filter set to max can make comparison a bit hard but anyway. In static scenes quality is good (that being said, that's not hard to achieve with any temporal aa solution). It's not quite on DLSS level which is to be excepted, since FSR 2.0 is new.

In motion it has issues though.
Screenshot (4).png
Here you can also see how DLSS handles the signal tower thingy much better. Also the default sharpness in that game is too high for FSR 2.0 in my opinion. It causes sharpening artifacts (but you can adjust it with slider, which is nice).

Interesting to see how Intel's XeSS compares. Dolmen comes out next week and supports all three. Sadly FSR 1.0 out of the box though. Also it looks like XeSS will not need DP4a or XMX instructions support but instead will benefit from those.

Reactions: psolord

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
There's quite a long thread at beyond3d.
Summary:
1) It's a lot better then FSR 1.
2) It does motion a lot better, better than DLSS perhaps.
3) It oversharpens.
4) It still can't quite match DLSS (e.g. while FSR is very sharp text generally clearer on DLSS).
5) particles are missing (the choice of game with lots of static assets hides this a bit).
6) there is a performance hit and the older the card the bigger the hit so it can be 10-15%.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Anyone done more testing of FSR2.0's sharpening? To me a lot of these issues look like they are sharpening artifacts with the default sharpening setting.

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Citing Nvidia's marketing department.
How mature of you. You have any idea how your actions actually make you look like? Some kind of team red guerilla marketing guy. DF did a good job showcasing its strengths and weaknesses.

Can you objectively say that FSR 2.0 is at this point on par with DLSS? All is good, stop the development? It's a new tech and has room for improvements. Currently it has some issues but that doesn't make it crap.

I'm pretty sure they already know what to improve next and I'm looking forward to next iteration. If they manage to improve it, then everyone wins. I also look forward to what Intel can achieve and how NVIDIA responds since now things are starting to heat up. This is good for us.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Sharpening is configurable and ideally, games should offer a slider for it (same for DLSS). Some people prefer more sharpening than others.

DLSS made a major improvement to particles about 6 months ago, which is too late for AMD to figure out how they do that and implement something similar. I expect AMD to focus on that for the next significant update to FSR 2.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
How mature of you. You have any idea how your actions actually make you look like?
Someone vaguely paying attention?

DF's video's on the topic have been full of what can only be described as either sabotage or mind numbingly stupid technical errors. All of which conventiently harm AMD.

And they have been doing things like that for a long time:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/48wzz4/and_here_we_have_another_biased_digital_foundry/

You cite a source known for spreading misinformation for over a decade. You discredited whatever you are trying to say.

It is not just AMD either. Look up their game reviews. Everyone knows DF is for sale to the highest bidder.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Someone vaguely paying attention?

DF's video's on the topic have been full of what can only be described as either sabotage or mind numbingly stupid technical errors. All of which conventiently harm AMD.

And they have been doing things like that for a long time:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/48wzz4/and_here_we_have_another_biased_digital_foundry/

You cite a source known for spreading misinformation for over a decade. You discredited whatever you are trying to say.

It is not just AMD either. Look up their game reviews. Everyone knows DF is for sale to the highest bidder.
This kind of stuff is why its important to not just blindy follow reviews like I see so many enthusiast do. Everyone's review and numbers should be double checked even by the biggest and oldest sites.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
What's the relative performance hit of DLSS on these older cards?
Older cards typically do not do DLSS ...

I think what your asking is what is the performance hit of FSR2.0 on older cards?

Hardware unboxed did a video:
Basically, rather then gaining 30%-50% like new cards, old cards gain 10%-35%.

Better then nothing, but not spectacular. Seems like it will be situational based on the card and the game.

Last edited: