[TPU] 1080 TI specs leaks

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
I wonder if the 1080ti will have the same 2.15GHz frequency wall as the 1080 and Titan XP, if so the card will not be very interesting.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
2.15ghz is still pretty good though. A nice waterblock will keep it solid. I kind of feel like this whole generation amounts to a Maxwell refresh though. Ima skip the whole thing.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
2.15ghz is still pretty good though. A nice waterblock will keep it solid. I kind of feel like this whole generation amounts to a Maxwell refresh though. Ima skip the whole thing.

So your waiting till 2019 to upgrade to Volta? or do you actually think Vega will deliver next summer? Next year will be a Pascal refresh. If you think Pascal is a Maxwell refresh then a Pascal refresh is the same thing.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
If nvidia releases a card called the 1080 TI, then Vega will be utter crap.

What's my logic in that, you say? If Vega is truly competitive, the best response for Nvidia (either just before or after Vega launches) would be to refresh the entire pascal lineup with "new" cards at different prices INSTEAD of just price cuts. Of course new product launches have upfront costs, but new products with better prices and slightly higher performance is ALWAYS a better sell and attention grabber than price cuts on old existing products.

So with all that said, if Nvidia were to release a 1080 TI in January to slot in along side their would-be 8 month old lineup, Nvidia will have come to the conclusion that refreshing the lineup to take on upcoming AMD cards is not worth it, which in my book would be a big omen tacked onto all the existing warning signs for Vega.

I still believe this 1080 TI will be called the GeForce GTX 1180, and Nvidia will eventually release a full functional GP102 consumer/prosumer card as the GTX 1180 TI or Titan X (the third).

If anything, its gonna be called GTX 2080, not 1180.

Reactions: tviceman

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
So your waiting till 2019 to upgrade to Volta? or do you actually think Vega will deliver next summer? Next year will be a Pascal refresh. If you think Pascal is a Maxwell refresh then a Pascal refresh is the same thing.

That's the big question; how will Vega perform? Also isn't nVidia due to release Volta like next year and not 2019? Been a bit obsessed with college football past month so maybe I'm out of the loop on the Volta release timeframe..

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
If anything, its gonna be called GTX 2080, not 1180.

Then what will the successor generation to GTX 9080 be?

They finally have a chance to keep a consistent name scheme indefinitely. 10 generations of GTX 1080 through 1980, and then GTX 2080. 100 generations ready to go!

You're probably right, since the first number is always the one to change. But for the sake of stability and order it'd be nice to see the same naming forever.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010

They finally have a chance to keep a consistent name scheme indefinitely. 10 generations of GTX 1080 through 1980, and then GTX 2080. 100 generations ready to go!

You're probably right, since the first number is always the one to change. But for the sake of stability and order it'd be nice to see the same naming forever.

Yeah I dont understand the constant insane renaming that both companies do. Skipping random generations and adding/deleting digits pretty much every 2 or 3 generations.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Yeah I don't know about all that. All I know is I'm not buying a 1080ti (I don't think). I'm done with SLI and even a Titan X isn't enough of an upgrade from what I got. I need a single card to be at least as fast as two 980ti's. Maybe closer to 2018 depending on what comes out then. I'm more interested in a platform upgrade since its been for ever with this sandy bridge. Also, I won't buy anything AMD. I just bought an expensive Gsync display.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Meh. Who cares how the guy chooses to spend/save his money?
I am certainly not seeing a compelling reason to move beyond my 980ti at this point.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Meh. Who cares how the guy chooses to spend/save his money?
I am certainly not seeing a compelling reason to move beyond my 980ti at this point.

Agreed, I'm not seeing anything compelling for 980ti owners this generation outside of getting a Titan XP. Mine at 1500 MHz is still chugging along just fine at 1440p 60 Hz.

I'm waiting for DP 1.4 HDR 1440p at 120+ Hz before next GPU upgrade anyway. Unless Vega blows us away and convinces me to go for a FreeSync monitor I'll be running the 980ti for another year it seems.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010

They'll pull an ATI:

GTX X180 followed by GTX X280. Easier, sounds nicer, and everyone sort of likes X's no?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
AMD coming with Fury X didn't stop from Nvidia having a Titan at $1100 or 980ti $100+ more than Fury X, wasn't it? As someone said, Nvidia's pricing is like the Apple model. People pay whatever Nvidia asks, and as a consumer, complaining is fair imho. Whether or not it is to your liking is a different issue, but milking is what it is. Oracle squeezed people at one point in time, Apple does all the time, now it's Nvidia. They're indeed counting on repeat business from locked in customers, that is indeed seeming to be their business model. again, one's free to do what they think is best. i wouldn't begrudge you for buying whatever you can afford. then again, i wouldn't begrudge other people voicing their opinion on pricing, double dipping with x04 & x00 chips.

Because Fury X was outperformed by the GTX 980 Ti in several metrics, including:

1) Overall performance

2) Performance per watt

3) Framebuffer size

4) Overclocking headroom

5) AiB variety

For AMD to succeed, it must compete with NVidia on all of these metrics if they want to win the mindshare race..

Number 3 in and of itself doomed Fury X. A 4GB framebuffer is usually not enough to enjoy the highest quality textures in many modern titles. So if you spent hundreds of dollars on AMD's flagship GPU, you're stuck using either the console equivalent, or perhaps one grade better..

on topic:
Vega's supposed to have about 12TF single precision... Fury was already at 8, wasn't it? 10 isn't that high a number to achieve.

Yes, it should be easily achieved, as even aftermarket 1080s are at 10 TFlops. That's not why I don't believe it however. I think NVidia will likely wait until Vega to see how fast it is, then adjust accordingly..

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Agreed, I'm not seeing anything compelling for 980ti owners this generation outside of getting a Titan XP. Mine at 1500 MHz is still chugging along just fine at 1440p 60 Hz.

I'm waiting for DP 1.4 HDR 1440p at 120+ Hz before next GPU upgrade anyway. Unless Vega blows us away and convinces me to go for a FreeSync monitor I'll be running the 980ti for another year it seems.

Hear, hear. I'm in the same position. I'm looking at the 1080 Ti, simply because it would offer a signifcant performance upgrade(60% or more) at 1440p. I'm using a 1440p 144Hz display, so I can use the extra juice.

OTOH, Volta might as well be released within 12 months of a 1080 Ti. Either way, I'm excited that we're going to see significant GPU releases within the summer 2016 to summer 2018 timeframe. At this stage, a GPU upgrade would in most cases also require a monitor upgrade(better resolution, HDR etc) as we are reaching quite high performance levels, even for 1440p.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Even if Volta comes in March/April of 2018, that puts the GTX 1000 series on a 22-23 month product shelf. Fermi V1 lasted 8 months...
Fermi was a special case as it launched with significant chip level issues which were solved with a new spin. Pascal has no such issues and the Volta architecture on a mature 16FF+ could launch as early as Q3 2017 for Tesla and late Q4 2017 for GeForce.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Fermi was a special case as it launched with significant chip level issues which were solved with a new spin. Pascal has no such issues and the Volta architecture on a mature 16FF+ could launch as early as Q3 2017 for Tesla and late Q4 2017 for GeForce.

You're right about Fermi, but I still doubt Pascal will last >20 months without a refresh, especially in the face of brand new GPU launches from AMD. I also highly doubt there will be a consumer Volta card in 2017.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

garagisti

Aug 7, 2007
Fury X launched at the same MSRP as the 980 Ti. And the Titan X (Maxwell) had an MSRP of $1000.
I could have sworn that the 980ti were selling at higher price in US & India by a fair bit, & the water cooled ones were selling easily for $100 more.

My bad on price of Titan X.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

I dont think they want to keep consistent name scheme for 100 generations :)
But i totally understand you, such thing would help to keep my OCD in check.