Question TP-Link TL-SX105 *fanless* consumer 5-port 10GbE/multi-gig switch (IN STOCK @ Amazon, $329)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Finally the bigger consumer brands, are giving us 10G/multi-gig devices, fanless, at reasonable cost.

Edit: Anyone currently looking at the above, that would prefer a managed switch with almost as many ports, for a similar price, check this one out:

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Still pricing is insane. That is a dumb unmanaged layer 2 switch, and they want $330-350 for it. I get that is "cheaper" than others for 10gigabit capable NBase-T ports, but that is still $70 a port for unmanaged ports.

If I was going to spend that much money, I would much rather pickup a used/refurb Brocade ICX6450 off ebay for around $150 and buy 4xSFP+ NGbase-T transceivers for another $200 (that is assuming I need the ports to all be RJ45 ports, and don't have or can't buy SFP+ based network card for one or more systems and use cheap twinax cables to connect to it, saving the cost of needing the transceiver and probably another $30-50 on the network card). For approx the same cost, I would have a layer 4 managed switch, with 48x1gb ports, and 4x10gb capable ports, with support for VLANs, ACLs, and port aggregation/bonding. Sure, I give up 1 10gigabit port, but at least with this switch you can setup proper network segregation for a guest VLAN, or one for IoT devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
NO that switch looks no where near capable of fanless with it being sealed.

Larry you and i both have first hand experience with the mikrotik one, and you know how HOT that thing runs.
Its not just mikrotik, its every other 10GBe switch including the ASUS one that runs hotter then hell.

The only passive 10gbe switch i will trust without a fan is the mikrotik crs308, but that doesn't have RJ-45 ports and instead SFP+ which even draws less power to help it stay cool.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
NO that switch looks no where near capable of fanless with it being sealed.

Larry you and i both have first hand experience with the mikrotik one, and you know how HOT that thing runs.
Its not just mikrotik, its every other 10GBe switch including the ASUS one that runs hotter then hell.

The only passive 10gbe switch i will trust without a fan is the mikrotik crs308, but that doesn't have RJ-45 ports and instead SFP+ which even draws less power to help it stay cool.
Well... hmm. Now I want to try one out.

It's not that I don't want to defer to your extensive experience, I do.

But by the same token, this is a new product, with 10G/multi-gig, and probably uses a chipset with smaller lithography, so it likely runs cooler.

Or maybe, it is an inferior design, since 10G-baseT does take more power to run over the cables than 2.5Gbase-T, and maybe their engineers were lazy, and re-used their 2.5GbE-T design for the chassis, figuring that it was a drop-in, and most importantly, that an ordinary consumer WOULD NOT have all of the ports blasting away at full line-speed. But it does claim to support that level of switching capacity, so IDK.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Do you think, in light of consumer 10Gbe/multi-gig switches, that the 2.5 gbe switch crowd completely missed the boat on making them "affordable", and thus triggering a 2.5 gbe "upgrade wave" among consumers, and that, given a choice between an expensive 2.5gbe switch, and a slightly more expensive 10gbe/multi, most consumers would only want to upgrade and deploy once, so eventually, 10gbe/multi for consumer switches will reach volume, and thus lower prices than the 2.5gbe switches.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
They've been saying we're right around the corner to mass availability and affordability for 5+ years now. That Trendnet 8port is $175. Toss in $25 2.5gb cards and you've got 4 systems at 2.5gb for the price of the 10gb 5 port switch.

If you need 10gb that bad, you should probably look at the other options out there and then use converters if you need to swap to rj45 jacks.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
When I heard about this earlier this summer I was excited for a "cheap" desktop 10Gbe switch, but at > $300 I have no interest. I will have to stick with the two 10Gb switched I have in the basement where the fan noise doesn't matter.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
Fallen Kell keeps bring up the Brocade, however its too big for my needs. However since its a Tier 1 manf., I thought I'd see what I could find on eBay.

While this won't give you more than 2 10G ports, its a smaller 1U size, and surprisingly Amazon came up listing this for even less:

Funny, pricing on the normal used market for this L3 switch w/2x10g module is $7K.

I'm seriously thinking of dumping my Cisco, again....