Toyota Corolla

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Thinking i might be needing a new car pretty soon.....kinda looked around a bit and decided i really liked it......opinions from owners/test drivers? i might go tomorrow and drive a few see how the paper compares to the product

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Lithium381
Thinking i might be needing a new car pretty soon.....kinda looked around a bit and decided i really liked it......opinions from owners/test drivers? i might go tomorrow and drive a few see how the paper compares to the product

Reliable, cheap, great mileage...also boring and lacking soul.

Plus, new model comes out soon.

If you just need A-B need transportation, itll be great. If you actually like driving, look elsewhere.

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
drove a 1991 corolla when i was in highschool. sold it in 2003 with over 270k on it.

driving a 2003 corolla now. reliable, saves gas, got nothing bad to say about it. if you want, you can call up nummi in fremont,ca and get a birth certificate for your corolla.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Diving a 94 Geo Prizm (stealth Corolla) right now. Third Corolla or variant Ive owned. If your looking for a great car, you cant go wrong with it.

Thorny

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
My wife had a new '04, it was an excellent car. Great mileage and not tooo boring to drive. The fit and finish was great for a car that price.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
civic>corolla
corolla is bland unexceptional... its reliable i guess but its not cheap compared to its competitors:p korean makes are catching up on quality and reliability, so toyota better start stepping up on the looks department.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
When you say new, do you mean new to you or actually new? If you're going with genuinely new, the new Civic is a much better car.

TygGer

Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Strk
When you say new, do you mean new to you or actually new? If you're going with genuinely new, the new Civic is a much better car.

exactly!

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
got a 99 corolla and have driven a 2005 corolla S. as others have said, they are very reliable, fuel efficient and the new ones look/drive quite nicely. the civic is also awesome. you won't go wrong with either choice.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I've owned a 97 Corolla for the past 5 years and haven't have to take it in for major repairs yet. I've only had to change the distributor cap & the breaks. I get 30+ mpg.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
civic>corolla
corolla is bland unexceptional... its reliable i guess but its not cheap compared to its competitors:p korean makes are catching up on quality and reliability, so toyota better start stepping up on the looks department.

Nothing wrong with the car itself, but to state civic>corolla is a sign of a dumb fanboism.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
why is the civic superior?

pepsi shut up wtf is not yay or nay?

better gas mileage, better automatic tranny, more power, plus 2003+ the corolla got crappy dead beam nonindependent rear suspension.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: AnyMal
civic>corolla

Nothing wrong with the car itself, but to state civic>corolla is a sign of a dumb fanboism.

I don't think it's dumb fanboism if he is mentioning the korean cars as well.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OS

better gas mileage, better automatic tranny, more power, plus 2003+ the corolla got crappy dead beam nonindependent rear suspension.

Better styling, handling, and acceleration, too. :p

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: AnyMal
civic>corolla

Also the civic has standard ABS and side airbags, both of which are only extra cost option across all the corolla trims. You can't even get either on the base corolla.

Standard power windows on civic also, which is option/package/trim on corolla.

Civic also offers available mp3 playback on LX and up, which is completely not available on the corolla.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It's actually a real decent choice, if you're looking for a Point A to Point B vehicle. Corollas last forever.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
To continue beating a dead horse....

If you are buying new, go for the Civic. Newer technology and a lot better looking IMO.

The Mazda3 is a worth a look too, although not as fuel efficient as either the Corolla or the Civic.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: OS

Doesn't EPA rate the corolla at 32/41 with the manual and 30/38 with an automatic? The civic sedan is 30/38 with the manual and 30/40 with the auto. Kind of a crapshoot with the MPG. Corolla still wins with the manual with the civic having a better 5 over the corolla 4.

The GF has a 2006 corolla and its a very nice car. Yea, the new civic is a lot better but then it'll probably cost you more too as dealers are less likely to haggle. If you can wait, maybe see what Toyota brings next year and you might like that even more. That, or get an awesome deal on an 06 corolla.

Aside from that, go drive the cars yourself and see what you like. Take a look at the Matrix too for functionality. Then you have the Fit, Versa, and the Yaris.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
as with most toyotas, if you don't like to drive, you will love it.

otherwise i highly suggest you look into the civic.