town trying to regulate what color you can paint your house.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Nothing new here. Home Owner's Associations have been doing this for years thru written covenants.

yeah. you have a choice to live in a HOA or not.

this is the town trying to pass regulations. so they have no choice in the matter.

but you have a choice to not live in that town/county/state/country. If you don't like it why don't you go live with the terrorists?

sure. but its not as easy as you think to just pack up and move. many can not afford it.

the state/county should not be makeing laws that restrict personal freedom with there property.

Maybe true but you seem to missing what everyone else in this thread is missing....this is the town of Farmer's Branch. The same town that has been in the news lately for all the laws they are passing to combat the illegal alien population run amok.

Since the Federal Government will not enforce the laws of the nation and protect it's citizens I guess states and towns are going to eventually step up to the plate, Farmer's Branch is just ahead of the curve. The obvious target here are Hispanics since they often lack taste that is in line with traditional taste when it comes to these types of things and they will eventually ruin a neighborhood's property values. Just another battle in the long war ahead is all.

Thanks for putting the story into perspective... horrible, racist, authoritarian perspective.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
"What's that? My property value will be lower if I paint my house purple? WooHooo! I'm going to paint it purple. Please adjust my taxes accordingly. I'll repaint it when I'm ready to sell."

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ironwing
So they're passing zoning laws based on their own racist ideas about what Hispanics like? That's kind of dumb.

Nothing to do with racism here..

Originally posted by: DrPizza
"What's that? My property value will be lower if I paint my house purple? WooHooo! I'm going to paint it purple. Please adjust my taxes accordingly. I'll repaint it when I'm ready to sell."

:thumbsup::D

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Nothing new here. Home Owner's Associations have been doing this for years thru written covenants.

this is the town trying to pass regulations. so they have no choice in the matter.

but you have a choice to not live in that town/county/state/country. If you don't like it why don't you go live with the terrorists?

sure. but its not as easy as you think to just pack up and move. many can not afford it.

the state/county should not be makeing laws that restrict personal freedom with there property.

Maybe true but you seem to missing what everyone else in this thread is missing....this is the town of Farmer's Branch. The same town that has been in the news lately for all the laws they are passing to combat the illegal alien population run amok.

Since the Federal Government will not enforce the laws of the nation and protect it's citizens I guess states and towns are going to eventually step up to the plate, Farmer's Branch is just ahead of the curve. The obvious target here are Hispanics since they often lack taste that is in line with traditional taste when it comes to these types of things and they will eventually ruin a neighborhood's property values. Just another battle in the long war ahead is all.

Thanks for putting the story into perspective... horrible, racist, authoritarian perspective.

This is what I love about knee-jerks. This is not really a race issue, it is about taste and what is acceptable in the neighborhood to maintain property values. It just so happens that because in this case the majority of offenders would be Hispanic you, and your kind, will simply reduce it to a race issue so you don't have to face the bigger picture. This wouldn't even be an issue if the damn government would enforce the laws and keep the illegals where they belong on the other side of the river.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Stuff like this is one of the biggest signs that our population just has too much time on its hands. Don't they have anything else to worry about? Government corruption, wasteful spending, or I don't know, maybe they could go down to the pound and teach the animals to bark and meow the theme to Star Wars.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

This is what I love about knee-jerks. This is not really a race issue, it is about taste and what is acceptable in the neighborhood to maintain property values. It just so happens that because in this case the majority of offenders would be Hispanic you, and your kind, will simply reduce it to a race issue so you don't have to face the bigger picture. This wouldn't even be an issue if the damn government would enforce the laws and keep the illegals where they belong on the other side of the river.

Nice Squiggy!

Illegals can afford houses in affluent suburbs? Wow, America is great!

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

ZOMG, WHITE ANGLO SAXON PROTESTANTS BEING THREATENED BY HISPANICS WITH VIBRANT COLORS, BRING IN THE ARMY! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This is the same as the HOA discussion we had a while back. There was a pretty huge divide in that group.

I think it's a GOOD thing, for some neighborhoods. I had a home in a 1900-1920s historic district a few years ago, and the neighborhood was beautiful. There were also city restrictions that made an effort to keep it that way. The last thing you want is a bunch of developers buying up a block and putting up cheap townhomes, people painting their house bright blue, etc.

So, I think it's more about preserving the integrity of a neighborhood than it is anything else. I've been through a lot of Hispanic neighborhoods, and I actually like the style of the homes, colors, etc. That's their culture. I wouldn't want to impose my style of home in their neighborhood anymore than I would want a bright blue house next to mine. It just doesn't fit. The same applies for the people that build McMansions in old neighborhoods, people that build extremely modern homes in old neighborhoods, people that let their house blight to the point of almost falling down, etc. It's not a racial issue.

Like everyone said in the HOA thread, it's usually the few that ruin everything for the many.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yup property values.
if you want neon, buy enough land so other people can't see your bad taste.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Phokus

ZOMG, WHITE ANGLO SAXON PROTESTANTS BEING THREATENED BY HISPANICS WITH VIBRANT COLORS, BRING IN THE ARMY! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sigh, you're yet another politically motivated quack who always sides against whites and those in positions of power.

(And before you attempt to form a witty reply about me being some racist conservative, I'd like to point out that I'm not a conservative and I don't agree with this proposed law. I'm all for personal freedom and think that the side effect of lowering neighboring property values does not override a person's right to paint their house whatever color they like.)

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm surprised no one has brought up historic districts. Many historic districts across the country have specific guidelines (read laws) governing paint colors, improvements, garages and building materials. If you buy a house in one of these districts, you are extremely limited in your choices which must be signed off on by the governing board.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: MagnusTheBrewer
I'm surprised no one has brought up historic districts. Many historic districts across the country have specific guidelines (read laws) governing paint colors, improvements, garages and building materials. If you buy a house in one of these districts, you are extremely limited in your choices which must be signed off on by the governing board.

I was just going to mention this. I live in a township with a historic district. All of the historic houses are governed by the township. You are only allowed to paint these historic houses certain colors, and additions/improvements are extremely limited.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
http://www.dallasnews.com/shar...etfbpaint.3641f66.html

whoa! i can understand HOA's but the town trying to force what colors?

Im not sure on the race issue. but i would be pissed off if they tried to say what color i can or couldnt have.

not to mention i think the law would get struck down.

please dont paint your house puke orange. It WOULD suck if you bought a house for $X and then everyone around you painted their homes different shades of barf. I think it would definately decrease the value of the home.

Tough crap. A home is a place to live and grow up in, raise a family in. If you want an investment go play the stock market. I have every right to actually LIVE in my home without being browbeaten about YOUR investment.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Im not sure on the race issue. but i would be pissed off if they tried to say what color i can or couldnt have.

please dont paint your house puke orange. It WOULD suck if you bought a house for $X and then everyone around you painted their homes different shades of barf. I think it would definately decrease the value of the home.

Tough crap. A home is a place to live and grow up in, raise a family in. If you want an investment go play the stock market. I have every right to actually LIVE in my home without being browbeaten about YOUR investment.

What kind of silliness is that? A house is a very important investment for almost all people. Buying a house only to have it depreciate for any reason is unfortunate, and people are going to be upset about that.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes

What kind of silliness is that? A house is a very important investment for almost all people. Buying a house only to have it depreciate for any reason is unfortunate, and people are going to be upset about that.

I would MUCH rather it depreciate seriously, so that I can pay lower taxes. This home has been in my family for many many decades and will not leave my family, so long as I am alive at least.

Again, for me (and many other people, ie nearly everyone I know) a house is a home, not an investment. That's mostly because I don't hang with money-hungry people however, that try and turn all of reality into some kind of economic competition. If you plan on living in a house forever, there's no reason to want it to increase in value...except possibly for sale posthumously with proceeds to be divided amongst your family. *shrug*

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
[. If you plan on living in a house forever, there's no reason to want it to increase in value...except possibly for sale posthumously with proceeds to be divided amongst your family. *shrug*

I DON'T plan to live in my house forever, and since we have Prop. 13 in effect here, I WANT my house to increase in value, so that when I sell it, I can make a profit. (at least on paper, since I've made payments, and done many improvements to the house since we've owned it...)

Isn't that what capitalism is about...making a profit on your investment? YES, buying a home IS an investment...otherwise, why not rent and reduce your capital outlays for things such as maintenance and repair?

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
[. If you plan on living in a house forever, there's no reason to want it to increase in value...except possibly for sale posthumously with proceeds to be divided amongst your family. *shrug*

I DON'T plan to live in my house forever, and since we have Prop. 13 in effect here, I WANT my house to increase in value, so that when I sell it, I can make a profit. (at least on paper, since I've made payments, and done many improvements to the house since we've owned it...)

Isn't that what capitalism is about...making a profit on your investment? YES, buying a home IS an investment...otherwise, why not rent and reduce your capital outlays for things such as maintenance and repair?

Probably, but capitalism is ass. Life is better.

Because you don't own what you rent, it isn't yours...you don't make the big decisions on it, can't change it (usually), and you can't stop paying for it nor pass it on to your kids. I'm 35 and will never owe a house payment again. I can stop working for years on end and not have to stress about where to live as long as I have a little saved up for incidentals and taxes...which would be lower if the property was worth less.

If you aren't smart enough to own a place outright to experience the same security and peace it's not my fault. In my opinion my right to HOME is more important than your right to invest. You can invest in other ways, other places, etc. HOME is only one place, one time.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

many towns have done just this...it forces places like Checkers and other colorful businesses to retone their color schemes to an approved palette.

Most of South Florida has rules like this.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
There should be a limit as to what color/pattern you can paint you house. Most often people will practice common sense in their choice, but there are those who lack this reasoning ability and need to be informed "change it before someone burns your house down for it being a sin against all that is holy".

I'm talking about extreme cases such as neon green with purple stripes going across at a 30 degree angle from the ground. I'd have to see this town and the houses that got the locals panties in a bunch to tell if the law is warranted, but I'd guess there is a problem but not bad enough to start banning colors.

no there should not be a limit. ITS MY FUCKING HOUSE. i pay the mortgage i pay the taxes i have to keep up the property.

if i want to paint it neon green with purple stripes that is my right.

the only person who has a right to say what i do with it (long as its within safety codes anyway) i smy wife.

not you. not anyone.

its really sad that crap like this is happening. i have to agree with kranky, its fucking disgusting.

Unfortunately you are only sharing space with others in a town...they can vote (as you can against it). You want to live outside the rules be able to afford to live where no one can see your home from the road or be willing to move to places that do not care.

It only takes one asshole HOA or not to destroy property values in a whole neighborhood. Once you think ahead and realize the potential to simply buy a property to deface the area and pick up additional property cheaper you see why.

Even with rules in place prior to someone moving into an area they still try to do what they want. My parent's neighborhood had some lottery winners move in and had their house of pastel colors changed to bright red with gold trim and did flamingos and all sorts of crap in the yard. They also put a big ass monogram on their garage door.

The worst part is the roof color totally clashed with it (even if it matched though the colors were horrendous).

They tried to fight it and ended up paying a huge ass fine and their house was repainted for them (at least that is the rumor now). They have a pastel house again that blends with the others.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Because you don't own what you rent, it isn't yours...you don't make the big decisions on it, can't change it (usually), and you can't stop paying for it nor pass it on to your kids. I'm 35 and will never owe a house payment again. I can stop working for years on end and not have to stress about where to live as long as I have a little saved up for incidentals and taxes...which would be lower if the property was worth less.

If you aren't smart enough to own a place outright to experience the same security and peace it's not my fault. In my opinion my right to HOME is more important than your right to invest. You can invest in other ways, other places, etc. HOME is only one place, one time.

Well, your view is in the minority. For the majority, the home is the biggest investment they will ever make. I bought my first house for $180k (20% down). My monthly expenses totaled $1.2k less than if I rented a 3 bedroom place. I sold it five years later for $325k. The best investment I've made.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
If they tried to tell me what color to paint my house, I'd paint the word "FUCK" in huge, tastefully color-appropriate letters on my biggest wall.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Well, your view is in the minority. For the majority, the home is the biggest investment they will ever make. I bought my first house for $180k (20% down). My monthly expenses totaled $1.2k less than if I rented a 3 bedroom place. I sold it five years later for $325k. The best investment I've made.

I sincerely hope that view is NOT in the minority, even while I hope just like everyone else that my home increases in value. There is no justification for the government telling people what colors they can paint their houses! None at all. ESPECIALLY if the only reason is that some people feel that it might hurt the value of their own properties. Do people not see how ridiculous that is? It's not a question of public health or safety.

This is the kind of thing that sounds so easy to be in favor of until the next inevitable step. Maybe you want to cut a tree down because it's leaning towards your house, but the town council said no tree cutting because they like things to be green. Feel free to fill out some application for a waiver and watch the tree fall on your house before your hearing even gets scheduled.

Maybe you'd like to put up a privacy fence so your young child can roam freely in the yard but not be able to escape it. . But the town council decided fences hurt property values, and tell you you're not allowed.

Maybe you'd like to dry your clothes on a clothesline to avoid having to use fossil fuels to dry them in a clothes dryer. Same deal.

People better wake up and see why this is fundamentally wrong on the most basic level. Property rights trump what a neighbor feels might hurt his home value. That's freedom, for good or ill.

People who like that stuff have plenty of HOA communities to live in where they can make rules all day long if they like. All the people in that community have voluntarily agreed to live by them, so everyone should be happy. People who don't live in HOAs have the right to enjoy their property as they see fit, as long as they aren't a health or safety risk, regardless of house color.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

I sincerely hope that view is NOT in the minority, even while I hope just like everyone else that my home increases in value. There is no justification for the government telling people what colors they can paint their houses! None at all. ESPECIALLY if the only reason is that some people feel that it might hurt the value of their own properties. Do people not see how ridiculous that is? It's not a question of public health or safety.

This is the kind of thing that sounds so easy to be in favor of until the next inevitable step. Maybe you want to cut a tree down because it's leaning towards your house, but the town council said no tree cutting because they like things to be green. Feel free to fill out some application for a waiver and watch the tree fall on your house before your hearing even gets scheduled.

Maybe you'd like to put up a privacy fence so your young child can roam freely in the yard but not be able to escape it. . But the town council decided fences hurt property values, and tell you your not allowed.

Maybe you'd like to dry your clothes on a clothesline to avoid having to use fossil fuels to dry them in a clothes dryer. Same deal.

People better wake up and see why this is fundamentally wrong on the most basic level. Property rights trump what a neighbor feels might hurt his home value. That's freedom, for good or ill.

People who like that stuff have plenty of HOA communities to live in where they can make rules all day long if they like. All the people in that community have voluntarily agreed to live by them, so everyone should be happy. People who don't live in HOAs have the right to enjoy their property as they see fit, as long as they aren't a health or safety risk, regardless of house color.

:thumbsup:
Very well said.
/thread