Touching cable disconnects internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by moonbogg, Nov 21, 2012.

1. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

So I have time warner cable, and if I as much as touch the cable going to my computer or move the modem the internet disconnects for a minute then comes back on. Why is it so sensitive? The TV doesn't stop working and they both run off the same cable.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Touching cable disconnects Forum Date
    Cable modem with hardware switch for wireless Networking Feb 3, 2017
    Airborne free mouse. touch mouse or any ios or android app not working on laptop ? Networking Aug 2, 2012
    Looking at new set up to use ipod touch remote Networking Jul 21, 2008
    iPod Touch Wifi Issues Networking Dec 28, 2007
    Connecting Ipod touch to internet through computer bridge Networking Nov 14, 2007

3. Railgun

Railgun Golden Member

As much as I hate this excuse, ESD.

Unless you're touching the jacket, then no idea.

4. pcgeek11

pcgeek11 Diamond Member

They both run off the same cable however they are different signals.

Are you talking about the ethernet cable between the modem and computer or the coax between the wall outlet and modem?

Either way it sounds like a crappy cable or connector. Get a new ethernet or coax cable.

5. Cabletek

Cabletek Member

You either have a them loose at a connection point and are breaking the connection/causing bad noise [reflections or just opening]as it causes an impedance mismatch, or you have a broken fitting, generally it would be a common point so if you have a 2 way splitter, I would suspects the jumper going to the wall from it.

the third and less likley situation is you broke the center conductor inside a cable and the movement is separating the pieces and reconnecting them back and foirth.

Safest fix get a new cable from a Time Warner tech, and tighten it with a pair of pliers or 7/16 wrench lightly do not try to break the fitting as they do break rather easily, weight of your arm is enough to tighten it, no muscle needed.

Simplest fix [somewhat risky without a meter to see whats going on], tighten the old wires with a pair of pliers or 7/16 open ended wrench. Most people cannot finger tighten cables, unles they do it for a living. Got to build up that torque over years. You can use one hand and gently move/shake the cable while twisting with the other and usually get further as the threads unbind and rebind back and forth but the wrench and weight of your arm works much better, IMHO.

6. MtnMan

MtnMan Golden Member

crappy cable, crappy connectors, crappy splitter, or all of the above.

7. moonbogg

moonbogg Diamond Member

OK I got a clue now. When I bend the ethernet cable going to the PC, the connection cuts out. The cable is sensitive it appears. I may try another, but i'm moving soon and will have Verizon fios and maybe i'll grab a new cable at that time. BTW, thanks for replies.

8. nusyo

nusyo Member

The ethernet cables are so cheap, and you'll be able to use it at the new location as well (I am not sure if they still supply you with Ethernet cable when you get a new modem)

I bet if you are to monitor your connection you get a bunch of retransmition requests