Totalwar: Warhammer, who's preordering?

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
While I love the Totalwar series I never buy one on release because they're always bug ridden due to how ambitious the games are, but this time I'm really having a hard time resisting as 2 of my favorite franchises are combining into one! What r u guys thinking? Are u gonna preorder & risk the bugfest, or do u think Creative Assembly learned their lesson from the Totalwar: Rome 2 debacle? They have extended the release date by a month to add more polish....so that's a good sign. It's out May 24th & preordering gets u the first DLC free (so much controversy on that alone). What's ur 2 cents?

Reactions: shortylickens

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I may preorder shortly before release. But make no mistake, its not delayed as good will and its certainly not a good sign.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
stop preordering games. These companies need incentive to make a good product.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The answer should be no one. All the pre-orders do is allow them to release crap product and if they don't hit sales figures in a certain time, they don't even put the programmer hours needed to fix the release... (Can we say Batman anyone?)...

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
There are few things I love more than Games Workshop's Warhammer stuff. I just really prefer the 40k though. I may pick this up down the road, but I can't see myself paying that much for a Warhammer skin. From what I've seen, and I haven't been paying close attention to it, it looks like it's the same Total War games with a Warhammer skin.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The answer should be no one. All the pre-orders do is allow them to release crap product and if they don't hit sales figures in a certain time, they don't even put the programmer hours needed to fix the release... (Can we say Batman anyone?)...

The latest trick to fool people is with hitman. Episodical releases for a game far from being finished.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I'll buy it when Skaven are added, until then it gets a resounding thumbs down from me. I love Warhammer and have been a fan for 24 years but no Skaven is a deal breaker in Warhammer as the Eldar are in 40K/Epic.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I'll buy it when Skaven are added, until then it gets a resounding thumbs down from me. I love Warhammer and have been a fan for 24 years but no Skaven is a deal breaker in Warhammer as the Eldar are in 40K/Epic.

Uhm, how do the skaven compare to Eldar? They're 2 completely different play style.

I prefer 40k way more myself. I'd preorder Dawn of War 3 on the spot....so I guess I'll just wait for early reviews to decide.

At least CA have always shown that they DO fix games after release & always follow up with content. They've patched games for atleast 2 years after release.

Feb 4, 2009
It's rather nice that people are starting to realize this.

Yup its extremely rare I preorder anything now because its digital there won't be a shortage. I have done early access / green light to play something early but this is pretty rare too if it costs more than $25

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope. I'm gonna wait until it gets at least 1000 reviews.

Atilla did not go over so well. I gotta be careful.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Uhm, how do the skaven compare to Eldar? They're 2 completely different play style.

I prefer 40k way more myself. I'd preorder Dawn of War 3 on the spot....so I guess I'll just wait for early reviews to decide.

At least CA have always shown that they DO fix games after release & always follow up with content. They've patched games for atleast 2 years after release.

I wasn't comparing their styles, I just happen to collect both those races and any Warhammer or Warhammer 40K title doesn't get a cent from me without them respectively. Skaven are a possibility for DLC or a expansion but not for the release version.

OT: DoW3 would have to return to RTS (ie DoW1) before I purchased it.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
no matter what the incentive.

Meh pre-ordering Dark Souls III saved me like $10 over retail. It's a game I was going to buy regardless as I own every other souls game, demon souls, dark souls, dark souls 2, bloodborne, and now dark souls 3.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I wasn't comparing their styles, I just happen to collect both those races and any Warhammer or Warhammer 40K title doesn't get a cent from me without them respectively. Skaven are a possibility for DLC or a expansion but not for the release version.

OT: DoW3 would have to return to RTS (ie DoW1) before I purchased it.

IMHO, DoW2 is the epitome of RTS! it's actually my favorite RTS because the focus is all on the strategy of your units instead of basebuilding (all upgrades are on the units). It's so much better that upgrades are on the squad instead of base building because it makes the game more fluid. I find base building RTS games such a waste of time, its not RTBB (Real time basebuilding) its RTS! Gimme the strategy! Ive had the most intensive moments ever in DoW2 over any other game.

Or did u mean u want the squads bigger? Personally, in a 3v3, u do get a sense of how big the armies are cause u have 6 players...and it feels manageable & epic.

Last edited:

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
IMHO, DoW2 is the epitome of RTS! it's actually my favorite RTS because the focus is all on the strategy of your units instead of basebuilding (all upgrades are on the units). It's so much better that upgrades are on the squad instead of base building because it makes the game more fluid. I find base building RTS games such a waste of time, its not RTBB (Real time basebuilding) its RTS! Gimme the strategy! Ive had the most intensive moments ever in DoW2 over any other game.

Or did u mean u want the squads bigger? Personally, in a 3v3, u do get a sense of how big the armies are cause u have 6 players...and it feels manageable & epic.

You haven't played many RTS games, have you?

As for this, I am excited, but Total War games have gone downhill as of late. Medieval 2 is still my favorite of all time and Empire Total War told me never to pre-order or buy on release ANY TW game ever again. Shogun 2 felt poorly done and while Rome 2 was a step in the right direction, it was nowhere near as good as the first Rome. As for Atilla, I think we all know how that turned out.

So... I'm going to leave this on my wishlist for now and wait for the next Fall/Winter Sale.

As for me, I still regard Dark Crusade as the best DoW to date. Soulstorm could have been so much better, but it was rushed, laughably written, and just shoddy all-around. Although, I can't really blame them considering the constraints they were under.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003

As for this, I am excited, but Total War games have gone downhill as of late. Medieval 2 is still my favorite of all time and Empire Total War told me never to pre-order or buy on release ANY TW game ever again. Shogun 2 felt poorly done and while Rome 2 was a step in the right direction, it was nowhere near as good as the first Rome. As for Atilla, I think we all know how that turned out.

So... I'm going to leave this on my wishlist for now and wait for the next Fall/Winter Sale.

As for me, I still regard Dark Crusade as the best DoW to date. Soulstorm could have been so much better, but it was rushed, laughably written, and just shoddy all-around. Although, I can't really blame them considering the constraints they were under.

I have played plenty. I hate basebuilding in multiplayer as it's a waste of time. I'm referring to multiplayer btw.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
stop preordering games. These companies need incentive to make a good product.

No one should be pre-ordering anything, no matter what the incentive.

^ This. Every time you pre-order, you both remove the incentive for devs to make sure the game works properly on release day and also further reward & encourage sh*tty industry practises like review embargoes. It's not like it's still 1997 where you had to call the local store and ask for a physical boxed copy to be set aside before it sells out...

Reactions: shortylickens

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005

When I worked for Games Workshop (storefront grunt) pretty much nobody wanted to play a game of Warhammer/40K on our tables with a hero & 3-5 squads/armor. They all wanted to play with 2K+ point armies and sharing control of the army wasn't an option. DoW2 is not a true RTS in my book, it is a RTRPTS (Real Time Role Playing Tactical Strategy) with the emphasis on Role Playing & Tactics.

I know everyone has their own view on RTS but that is mine.

End OT.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
When I worked for Games Workshop (storefront grunt) pretty much nobody wanted to play a game of Warhammer/40K on our tables with a hero & 3-5 squads/armor. They all wanted to play with 2K+ point armies and sharing control of the army wasn't an option. DoW2 is not a true RTS in my book, it is a RTRPTS (Real Time Role Playing Tactical Strategy) with the emphasis on Role Playing & Tactics.

I know everyone has their own view on RTS but that is mine.

End OT.

Well I was talking about PC multi player. If u have 2k+ armies in MP with the Graphics fidelity of DoW2, u wouldn't be able to play it 2 years from now. So compromises had to be made, and frankly for the best. Squad based RTS in miltiplayer with no basebuilding turned out to be absolutely awesome & action packed!

Feb 19, 2009
I don't pre-order. Wait to see because the release can be bug ridden or crash prone.

But if its good and feedback from early adopters are good, I'm in.

Shogun 2 was the last good TW for me, despite being my fav RTS series, the latter TW are awful. So very looking forward to this one, the Warhammer theme is just icing on the cake.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

I think you have that reversed: Shogun 2 was widely regarded as one of the smoother, least troubled TW releases of the last several, and Rome 2 was easily one of the most panned, problem filed game launches of that year, not just TW games. It was an absolute mess. That's where the "Emperor Edition" free upgrade "Mea Culpa" edition came from.

I've been with the series since the original Shogun. I love it. I've purchased them all at or around release up to Empire, and decided enough is enough. I still buy them and enjoy them (even Rome 2), but wait for the obligatory mountain of patches, community content, and STEAM sales now.