Totally lacking motivation.. What the hell can I do about it?!

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
This semester, I started off with a bang (computer engineering major - sophomore at UF).. Now I'm really lacking motivation.. I don't know what happened.. but I'm tired all the time and EVERYTHING distracts me.. I can't even take a test without thinking about something else. This is starting to hurt my grades - considering I can't make myself finish an assignment. The same thing happens over and over - I start it, get distracted, then give up on it.

I think it can be summed up to this: Learning something new - grasping a new concept is what I find I always want to put off most.

Is there anything I can do about this? Self help books on motivation that you'd recommend? How else do I get over being tired a lot? I eat healthly. (Coffee doesn't help - it just makes me more distracted and unnecessarily nervous.)

Why does everything get boring after 10 minutes?!!!

hoomza444

Aug 21, 2000
sigh....man i can't help you but keep me updated if u find a cure...i will pay you :) my problem is even worse.....i get bored of being distracted :(

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I get that too. Just try your best to concentrate, get plenty of sleep, and take breaks often. I find that if I do something active in the morning it helps get me going the rest of the day as well. Go run in the morning or something to get the blood flowing (plus good excersice)

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hey, pass the cure my way if you find it, that sounds like my life. There are only 2 or 3 things I can do that I can focus my entire attention to, for extended periods of time. And let me tell you, school is not one of those things, but I have been in school for a long time, so I think it's boredom.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
hehe. Once again I pat myself on the back for choosing not to be a computer engineer at UF.

Find friends in your year & major and have a good time with them (assuming people in your major have free time). That way, you'll subconciously strive to stay at their academic level and ask for help without hesitation.

edit: Another idea that has worked for me: Scare yourself. Tell yourself that if you dont' get an B in the class, you won't keep a ___ GPA, and if you don't keep your ____ GPA, you won't keep your ______ scholarship, and if you don't keep your ______ scholarship, you take hefty loans/jobs, and if you take a hefty loan/job you won't be truly happy and so on. Do that until you wake up in cold sweats with an undying urge to get everything done (or else) - its not healthy but fear is the one universal motivator

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
You're burned out on all the formal educational BS. You need to get away for a year or two.

Sell everything you own and get an airline ticket for somewhere in Europe. Buy a Euro pass and spend the next year or two seeing part of the world. Education isn't only in the classroom.

Think about it. What are you doing right now? You're trying to get an education so that you can work for the rest of your life. No wonder you aren't enthused.

See the world. Enjoy life. Once you get into the ratrace after college you're gonna get married, have kids, buy a house with a mortgage, try to support multiple cars plus all the other garbage you're expected to have. It never ends. Enjoy yourself now. You can always go to school later. Don't be trapped by the hype and pap about education and career.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Sex in the morning is the best not only wakes you up but gets rid of 90% of those distractions.

BigNeko

Jun 16, 2001
The Christmas break killed my night class. The instructor said it happens every year.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001

<< ....get an airline ticket for somewhere in Europe. Buy a Euro pass and spend the next year or two seeing part of the world. Education isn't only in the classroom. >>

I wish I could do that but scholarships require that you do classes every term and UF's tracking classes virtually force you to take classes nonstop and get out in 4 to 5 years. :(

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000

<< You're burned out on all the formal educational BS. You need to get away for a year or two.

Sell everything you own and get an airline ticket for somewhere in Europe. Buy a Euro pass and spend the next year or two seeing part of the world. Education isn't only in the classroom.

Think about it. What are you doing right now? You're trying to get an education so that you can work for the rest of your life. No wonder you aren't enthused.

See the world. Enjoy life. Once you get into the ratrace after college you're gonna get married, have kids, buy a house with a mortgage, try to support multiple cars plus all the other garbage you're expected to have. It never ends. Enjoy yourself now. You can always go to school later. Don't be trapped by the hype and pap about education and career.
>>

Wow. Thats inspirational enough right there!

Really, that is what I plan to do.. how could you not? It will change you as a person.. people don't understand the power that can be gained/seen by being exposed to other cultures, climates...

I can't wait!

Nosferatu

Oct 9, 1999
Well my friends favorite answer is weed. he says it exposes you to possibilities you normally dont see. It is also supposed to make everything interesting.
So far I only have his word and that of his dog. But they seem to believe it....;)

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Drink some more beer and set your motivation to get more beer when you finish the beer you're drinking. :)

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999

<< Well my friends favorite answer is weed. he says it exposes you to possibilities you normally dont see. It is also supposed to make everything interesting.
So far I only have his word and that of his dog. But they seem to believe it....;)
>>

Gaaahh- dont listen to that =)
At least for me, weed does the exact opposite, I cant even think about me not thinking about my work, or somthin like that. There is no way I can get any type of work done...Not that I have ever smoked though...