total war shogun 2 (slow?)

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I finally gotten around to trying out shogun 2 but I'm running into a bit of a perf issue. vaguely i remember the game was very slow starting up because it loads a large number of texture; but when I started playing the tutorial (it's been a while since I played total war rome) it seemed extermely sluggish between loading screens (actual play once something is loaded is ok).

My system is not too old (2500k, 6950, windows 7 64bit); is there some sort of trick to reduce load time; or does it get better after the tutorial? I guess I can deal with an incredibly slow tutorial if the main game is a bit better but I can't really see playing the full game at this pace.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I use an ssd as the boot disk; but steam games are an a fuji 1tb drive. I don't think there is an easy way to move a single steam game to the ssd :(

Nope there isn't, except of making one folder link to a different drive. This is main reason why I dual boot, so I keep my most played Steam games on single SSD partition.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
What is the DOS command to make a link? Also will this resolve the issue with shogun if I move the single shogun folder under steamapps ?
-
Hum. I hope the format of the 1tb drive is ntfs.
-

Looks like I wnt something like mklink /D shogun2 c:/steamstuff/shogun2

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Just use SteamMover - its a simple tool that executes the right Dos commands for you. It really is the simpler way to do this, no install no pain just zero frills moving of the data with a link, if there is space.

Shogun runs considerably better on an SSD than HDD, more than twice as quick at least.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Just use SteamMover - its a simple tool that executes the right Dos commands for you. It really is the simpler way to do this, no install no pain just zero frills moving of the data with a link, if there is space.

Shogun runs considerably better on an SSD than HDD, more than twice as quick at least.

--
re: steammover I don't feel comfortable running a random binary on my computer :(