Total Annihilation+Core Contingency Expansion now on Impulse

Apr 17, 2005
Wow does it look dated.

not really, the art design works so it doesn't look too bad even now and it natively supports any resolution you can throw at it.

edit: looks like they're gonna get the MP working!

Originally developed by Cavedog back in 1997, the rights eventually came into the hands of Atari who has given us permission to re-release it.

Stardock is handling the support for Total Annihilation directly and includes a new launcher that helps automatically configure the game for modern systems, streamlines getting multiplayer games going and includes easy access to tips and tricks for getting the most out of it.

As part of Stardock's support for the game, it will be releasing subsequent updates (with Atari's permission) to further streamline multiplayer, incorporate Impulse Reactor and work with fan sites to incorporate new content into the "official" release. It will also be further enhancing the release to prepare it for eventual availability on other digital distributors.

In other words, we’re treating Total Annihilation similarly to a newly released title with ongoing updates wherever possible.

The package includes Total Annihilation + Core Contingency as a single integrated package.

What makes Total Annihilation particularly special is that (depending on your modern setup and trouble shooting skills) you can get the game playing at crazy high resolutions and the game runs fine.

hopefully it'll come to steam

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
FUCK YEAH!!!

I can't help but think that this is a calculated response to the fact that many TA/SupCom fans are feeling disenfranchised by SupCom2.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think supreme commander 1 blew TA out of the water.

Well minus all the mods you can find for TA.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
why?

i bet there are tons of people who will pay to have this. i've lost 2 copies of the game already. people still buy starcraft1, an inferior game, so why not this?

Well starcraft 1 being the best game ever made deserves to still have a price tag still attached to it.

Redshirt 24

Jan 30, 2006
I still have my TA Commander's Pack in my archives, dusty case and all, but this is an interesting development. Especially if Stardock can resurrect support for it...and, hell, $10 is nothing (or close enough, anyway--Diablo II is still twice as much in retail channels!).

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Well starcraft 1 being the best game ever made deserves to still have a price tag still attached to it.

TA > Starcraft in every way. And don't pull that "its not as popular" crap because then Halo is the best FPS ever made.

TA is the best RTS ever made. Period. It should not be free by any means.

Also TA has great graphics for its time, certainly better than other games in that year.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Insta buy for me. Both to support Stardock and because TA is one of my favorite games ever.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
No battle tactics?
:hmm:

I have my commander's pack too, got it from relatives in the gaming industry back then and man was TA my favorite game of all time.

Nothing like TA back in the day on LAN.

Still is an amazing game.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I had a $7 credit with Staock anyway, so I used it on this game. It came out around the time I graduated High School, and I never got to play it. I remember everyone saying it was awesome, but I was too poor to buy it, so I will try it now. I just wish I didn't miss the Mount and Blade $5 deal on Impulse, as I would really like to have that game. I should have just pulled the trigger. I don't want it on Steam, and am tired of having to settle for buying games there when Impulse is better in every way.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have some fond memories of TA. But it is so dated now. Things that you expect from your RTS are not there. Some grouping option as an example. I leave it with the fond memories. Too bad SC2 turned out so poor! :(

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
not really, the art design works so it doesn't look too bad even now and it natively supports any resolution you can throw at it.
Except that's where it actually fails. TA/Supcom has terrible art design. StarCraft looks 10x better as an older game than TA does. Its incredibly cool that games like TA and Supcom supported features like expanding to whatever resolution and extremely clever multimonitor support, but that doesn't change the fact that the individual units and the worlds they occupy look like ass.

why?

i bet there are tons of people who will pay to have this. i've lost 2 copies of the game already. people still buy starcraft1, an inferior game, so why not this?

so why doesn't a better game deserve a price tag?

TA > Starcraft in every way. And don't pull that "its not as popular" crap because then Halo is the best FPS ever made.

Except StarCraft is not an inferior game, its a different game. Thats like saying Warhammer is a superior strategy board game to chess in every way possible. StarCraft is easily the most balanced yet diverse RTS game ever, and that's why it remains as popular as it is.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Also TA has great graphics for its time, certainly better than other games in that year.

Not by a long shot, starcraft has amazing custom maps, great balance, sides that arent basically copies of eachother. Its leaps and bounds ahead of TA in every area.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Not by a long shot, starcraft has amazing custom maps, great balance, sides that arent basically copies of eachother. Its leaps and bounds ahead of TA in every area.

I was a fan of both games, but I thought TA was much more "Fun". My friends and I played TA much longer than SC.

Coke and Pepsi argument, but I'm glad there are still some people willing to speak up for TA! :)

Apr 17, 2005

technically, if the two sides are copies of each other, it would be the most balanced game ever :p

also, TA has custom everything, SC doesn't even compare in terms of community made shit. the only thing SC did better was the campaign story.