Toshiba XG6 NVMe Anandtech review up (first 3D 96 layer NAND SSD)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13254/the-toshiba-xg6-1tb-ssd-review-first-96l-3d-nand

Pretty interesting read. The energy efficiency is definitely there, and the other companies who will use this NAND for their own products should be able to deliver better performance with different controllers / firmware.

As an aside, I'm strongly considering putting the XG6 into my personal laptop for a while. It's an older machine that only has a PCIe 2.0 link to the SSD so none of the XG6's performance deficiencies relative to the fastest drives on the market will make much difference, and the XG6 will probably offer the best battery life of any drive I have on hand.

pm-idle.png

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It should probably be noted that this is not a retail drive.

True. When Toshiba launched their first 64-layer NAND drive (XG5), it was also released as an OEM drive (just like the XG6).

Most people, outside of some prebuilt PC buyers, will not get their hands on this drive. However, the 96-layer NAND should show up in future NVMe drives from companies like Western Digital. If WD can repeat the performance of their latest "black" NVMe drive with the higher performing 96-layer NAND, it should be a great product.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Reminds me why I'm glad that I didn't get one of those Patriot Hellfires.

Truth in advertising.