Toshiba SD-H802A 2.4X HD-DVD Drive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
So we get a drive for like $30 and then have to spend another $150 for software (PowerDVD HD and AnyDVD HD) to be able to watch movies in hi-def? Ouch.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Denithor
So we get a drive for like $30 and then have to spend another $150 for software (PowerDVD HD and AnyDVD HD) to be able to watch movies in hi-def? Ouch.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

nicepun

Nov 11, 2005
Got mine yesterday. Put it in an empty firewire enclosure I had laying around and worked like champ.

Not if you do enough searching.....:eek:

kki000

Jun 6, 2001
This component is for an htpc. htpc's are expensive and not meant to be a replacement of standalone boxes. There are better and cheaper standalone alternatives that are easier to use.
This is only useful if you plan on archiving your hddvd collection.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Rage187
Originally posted by: kki000
Tested anydvd backups, working perfectly.
created files wil anydvd, then made iso files with imgburn, mounted image and played back with pdvd.

Shows still in stock!

Does this bypass the security handshake to see if the display you are using and the graphics card are HDCP compliant?

I have a truckload of HD DVD's but would like to be able to watch them on an older shuttle with XP.

Yes, AnyDVD HD gets around the need for HDCP compliant devices. However, I'm unaware of any HD DVD disc that actually has enabled the image constraint token portion of the AACS DRM scheme.

You're safe from needing HDCP compliant hardware until 2010 or 2012 at the latest for all HD content apparently.

Hollywood delays use of IC token.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: carbont
I actually tried that as well but didnt have much luck.
1. Previously had PowerDVD 7.2 Deluxe installed.
2. Received the 0103 error. Installed some "fix" from Cyberlink and then received the 0107 error.
3. Installed AnyDVD - This seemed to break everything. Not only did the HD player not work, I was then unable to play ripped HD and Blu-Ray media that was stored on my HD whereas I was able to before installing AnyDVD
4. Formatted
5. Installed PowerDVD 8 - Which I then found out supports Blu-Ray but not HD-DVD :boggle:
6. Uninstalled PowerDVD 8 / Installed WinDVD. Found out that WinDVD Plus will not play HD/BR and that you need WinDVD Plus Blu-Ray
7. Uninstalled that. Reinstalled PowerDVD 7.2 - Back at square one.
8. I will try AnyDVD again at some point this week.

AnyDVD HD is blacklisted by the PowerDVD software in later v7 builds and all v8 builds of the software. You don't need AnyDVD HD for playback unless the disc has the IC token enabled and you have non-HDCP hardware (ie monitor or graphics card).

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Golgatha
AnyDVD HD is blacklisted by the PowerDVD software in later v7 builds and all v8 builds of the software. You don't need AnyDVD HD for playback unless the disc has the IC token enabled and you have non-HDCP hardware (ie monitor or graphics card).

But I heard (may be wrong) that HDCP wouldn't work over DVI (even with an adapter to HDMI), only over direct HDMI output to HDMI input on HDCP-compliant monitor. Now, my 9600GT has an HDMI port built in (thank you, Palit!) but my monitor does not feature HDCP (older Samsung 204B). So am I stuck buying either a software workaround (AnyDVD HD) or else an HDCP monitor (with HDMI input) to make this drive work?

Better yet, what are the other options you refered to for a standalone box ("There are better and cheaper standalone alternatives that are easier to use.")?

Any advice is appreciated!

kki000

Jun 6, 2001
It should work, even with your non hdcp monitor.

For cheaper alternatives, check ebay for hd a2 players, should be had for less than 50 bucks, a little more with shipping.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Golgatha

But I heard (may be wrong) that HDCP wouldn't work over DVI (even with an adapter to HDMI), only over direct HDMI output to HDMI input on HDCP-compliant monitor. Now, my 9600GT has an HDMI port built in (thank you, Palit!) but my monitor does not feature HDCP (older Samsung 204B). So am I stuck buying either a software workaround (AnyDVD HD) or else an HDCP monitor (with HDMI input) to make this drive work?

Better yet, what are the other options you refered to for a standalone box ("There are better and cheaper standalone alternatives that are easier to use.")?

Any advice is appreciated!

HDCP can be implemented over DVI just fine. HDMI does not equal HDCP as many people seem to think.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In for one ... hope it works but for $26 shipped its certainly worth taking the chance!

Anybody want to post a link to some cheap software that'll play HD-DVD's? :D

nguyendot1

Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: zetachi
will this upconvert regular dvd's? to HD?

No.

Upconverting happens on the video card/computer not the drive itself. This is just a data device.

You can use any dvd-rom drive to upconvert on a pc.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Rage187
I ordered mine weeks ago and have't seen hide nor hair of it.

Might want to contact them ... I ordered mine last night & it shipped out today via Fedex ground.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I got mine in, all hooked up in XP. I thought Nero 7 Ultra provided HD playback, but NOOOOOOOOOO..you gotta buy a plugin. What's the cheapest way to play HD with this player?
Thanks...

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
i couldnt get PowerDVD 7 Ultra with the latest patch to work under XP at all... It opens, and tries to read the disc, but it freezes at a black screen and crashes powerDVD

carbont

Mar 28, 2008
These problems have already been covered in this thread. I was having the same problem (see page 2).

The fix is to use PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra: version is 7.3730d or around there. This and AnyDVD fixed my playback problems.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
Great, thanks. I see he mentions PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra with patch 7.3730d. I can buy powerdvd 7.3 ultra on ebay pretty cheap. If I go to Powerdvd and download an update, will that work? or do I have to find the exact patch 7.3730d?

EDIT: I found the powerdvd update page, looks like their current update is the 3730a

Spurst

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2000
i already tried that exact patch - and looked all through this thread - nothing seemed to work. the only thing i havent tried is anyDVD. Is it mandatory to use AnyDVD? I'm going from my 7900GS > DVI > Olevia 37" LCD TV. I also have the Nvidia Pure Decoder installed.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I would think you would not have to have anydvd since it is a ripper. You just need a software player. Is all of your gear HDCP ready?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Spurst
i already tried that exact patch - and looked all through this thread - nothing seemed to work. the only thing i havent tried is anyDVD. Is it mandatory to use AnyDVD? I'm going from my 7900GS > DVI > Olevia 37" LCD TV. I also have the Nvidia Pure Decoder installed.

AnyDVD eliminates the requirement for HDCP compliance which may be your problem depending on wether your 7900GS supports it. (HDCP)

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I just downloaded the trial version of WinDVD 9, that advertises Blu Ray and HD DVD support. It tells me my media is not supported. I then notice this:
"Please note that the trial version does not support Blu-ray and HD DVD playback. Once you have purchased the full version of WinDVD 9 Plus Blu-ray, you will get the Blu-ray and HD DVD playback capabilities."

Some trial, come try our software!..but you don't get this or that....

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
cyberlink has a free hardware advisor download. It scans your hardware and tells you if you are ready to view HD content.