Toshiba DVD Player Class Action Lawsuit

JRVette

Aug 9, 2004
I thought I would share this. I just got notification of a Class Action Lawsuit against Toshiba. Long and short of it is ALL Toshiba DVD players (not PC based) purchased prior to 1/1/2002 are automatically included in the class action lawsuit. What's they are offering is 3 options :

A. Refund for any firmware updates you have had to pay for.
B. Firmware Upgrade OR replacement DVD player at no cost
C. Rebate Certificatate worth anywhere from $25 - $125 depending on how much you paid for your DVD player.

It sounds like it's a done deal. This is the proposed settlement from Toshiba. I am going to opt for either the rebate certificate OR the firmware update. I have had the pixelation problem, and my DVD player does not play MP3 CD's at all. I'm glad to see this.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Really? Why is this? I've had my toshiba dvd player for 4-5 years with absolutely no issues. Any chance you could pass the message alone to me?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
HA! This is true. I gave my parents a Toshiba DVD player back when they were still really expensive, and the darn thing was NOT DVD compliant. There were a bunch of popular titles that this thing would not play. I contacted Toshiba, and they offered a firmware upgrade...for a price (I forget how much).

My brother ended up buying them a new (non-Toshiba) one.

The proposed settlement sucks though...

(3) if you purchased a non-Toshiba brand DVD player prior to October 15, 2004 as a replacement for such Toshiba DVD Player specifically as a result of Playback Incompatibilities experienced on the Toshiba DVD Player, a rebate certificate valid against the purchase of Toshiba brand consumer audio or video electronics products distributed by TACP.

I hate fvcking lawyers :|