Tornado Fuel Saver: Yay or nay?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Link

I can see how it MIGHT help a carbureted, or possibly even TBI engine by creating air turbulance, helping to atomize the fuel for a more efficient burn. But in a port fuel injected engine, it seems like this would just be an airflow restriction. What's your opinion?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
My opinion is that it's too late to ask any serious questions.

Oh, and I know nothing about cars. Is this something like a turbo? (I'm clueless)

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Oh, and I know nothing about cars. Is this something like a turbo? (I'm clueless)

It's a piece of metal with "fins" that you put in the intake ducting that supposedly spins the air like a tornado creating a better mixture which burns better. I just can't see that happening in a port fuel injected engine.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello

It's a piece of metal with "fins" that you put in the intake ducting that supposedly spins the air like a tornado creating a better mixture which burns better. I just can't see that happening in a port fuel injected engine.

Yes there are vortexes in the intake airbox and runners that affect performance. No that isn't going to do anything.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My friend's husband is a service manager. I asked him about this. He laughed and said it wouldn't really help.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
My friend's husband is a service manager. I asked him about this. He laughed and said it wouldn't really help.

I went to an automotive college and it was a joke among students and faculty there as well... just curious what other people's opinions are since they keep advertising it on TV after all these years making claims of increased gas mileage and horsepower. Even the Psychic Friends Network was shut down for making false claims after a while...

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

I went to an automotive college and it was a joke among students and faculty there as well... just curious what other people's opinions are since they keep advertising it on TV after all these years making claims of increased gas mileage and horsepower. Even the Psychic Friends Network was shut down for making false claims after a while...

The device itself or intake vortex?

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: QuitBanningMe

The Tornado itself. Right now on TV they're showing a 10% increase in HP. I think it's silly... but I also have to think if they've been allowed to make these claims on national TV for at least 5 years now, COULD there be some truth to it? Slick 50 was forced to stop making claims that you could run an engine without oil after treating the engine with their additive after a few years... yet... the Tornado is still on TV "increasing HP and mileage."

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005

The Tornado itself. Right now on TV they're showing a 10% increase in HP. I think it's silly... but I also have to think if they've been allowed to make these claims on national TV for at least 5 years now, COULD there be some truth to it? Slick 50 was forced to stop making claims that you could run an engine without oil after treating the engine with their additive after a few years... yet... the Tornado is still on TV "increasing HP and mileage."

OK I haven't seen it on TV. Yes there is some truth to it. You want swirl in the runners or even moreso on a carb where you can get pooling.

Of course there is a lot more to it and this device is BS.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

OK I haven't seen it on TV. Yes there is some truth to it. You want swirl in the runners or even moreso on a carb where you can get pooling.

Right but they say ANY vehicle, including diesels. Air turbulence in the intake does NOTHING for the mixture of diesel fuel and air since a diesel engine (with the exception of the "diesel engines" GM made back in the 70's) use direct injection.

QuitBanningMe

Banned
Mar 2, 2005
Right but they say ANY vehicle, including diesels. Air turbulence in the intake does NOTHING for the mixture of diesel fuel and air since a diesel engine (with the exception of the "diesel engines" GM made back in the 70's) use direct injection.
Yeah I edited to say there is alot more to it. This device is BS.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

That's been my opinion too... but they're still making bold claims... if they weren't true, you'd think there would be about 10,000 frivolous lawsuits against them forcing them to take it off the air.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

That's been my opinion too... but they're still making bold claims... if they weren't true, you'd think there would be about 10,000 frivolous lawsuits against them forcing them to take it off the air.

Their claims are VERY hard to disprove.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: So

No more difficult to prove than it is to prove that you can't run an engine without oil after using Slick 50.

*EDIT* In fact it's much easier cause you don't have to destroy an engine to prove it.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: So

No more difficult to prove than it is to prove that you can't run an engine without oil after using Slick 50.

*EDIT* In fact it's much easier cause you don't have to destroy an engine to prove it.

The thing is, their claims are vague enough, all they have to do, is find some 'expert' to say that their claims MIGHT be true in SOME situation under SOME conditions, and they win.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Wonder how hard it would be to get my money back if I bought it and it didn't work.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Wonder how hard it would be to get my money back if I bought it and it didn't work.

PITA, I'm sure.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Holy Sh!t!! $70?? I'll just buy a Type-R sticker. Should give me about the same increase.

The Tornado comes with stickers too... decisions decisions... lol