Torment: Tides of Numenera *Kickstarter $4 million Achieved!

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Looks like this is on Steam's early access now...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/272270/

Newport Beach, California – January 26, 2016 – inXile Entertainment's Torment: Tides of Numenera, the long-awaited thematic successor to Planescape: Torment, is now available to a general audience on Steam Early Access!

Having raised over $5 million from more than 90,000 pledges, Torment sits in the top 5 most funded Kickstarter projects of all time. Torment: Tides of Numenera is a story-driven, isometric cRPG in the style of the legendary Infinity Engine games. With carefully crafted writing and a beautifully detailed combination of 2D and 3D graphics, Torment is a masterpiece that evokes the spirit of the critically acclaimed original cult classic. Now, the title comes to Steam Early Access, which allows inXile to continue to work with the community in order to improve the game before its final release.

Involving many of the original creators of Planescape: Torment, such as Chris Avellone, Colin McComb and Mark Morgan, Torment tells a deep and emotional story set in Monte Cook's unique Ninth World from the new award-winning Numenera pen and paper game. Explore a world unlike any other to find your answer to the question "What does one life matter?"

"Torment is a game we couldn't be more excited about," says Brian Fargo, CEO. "Our fans have placed their trust in us to deliver an experience that lives up to their expectations, and as we did with Wasteland 2, we intend to work with them to deliver it. We take the Early Access program as a very serious step for us to improve the game based on the community’s feedback. Iteration is paramount to me and this helps to guide us putting our efforts into crafting a game worthy of the Torment name.”

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
They really should give all backers access now given how late this project is. I think its the most overdue kickstarter I've been involved in.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
WHen is the release date? Originally it was late 2014, then late 2015, now it's 2016 and I haven't heard anything. The fact that it's just going into beta suggests it's months away

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Holy cow I remember backing this in March of 2013...the game has had a longer development time than a lot of AAA RPGs.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Um no. It's a niche game. Otherwise please direct me to all the text heavy AAA turn based RPGs that have come out in the last ten years as I must have been in a coma and not realized it.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Define niche? I mean Pillars sold over 500k copies, Wasteland 2 sold ~400k copies. Divinity OS sold 800k copies. Wasteland 3 is well funded, Bards Tale IV is well funded. I'd call Torment a AAA RPG title. Just not a AAA ARPG (rpg lite)., which is the genre that tends to get the AAA treatment.

Reactions: SMOGZINN

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
Look I more or less like all the above games and own all those that they released but a AAA game isn't an indication of how good they are or its quality but of budget. To my knowledge most of those games budgets wouldn't have been in the tens of millions. Maybe north of 10 sure but not too much north. Most AAA games advertising budget would most likely dwarf Torments entire budget. Torment, Pillars, Tyranny, Wasteland aren't those big AAA productions. Good games, yes depending on your tastes.

In fact DSO (maybe) and Star Citizen would be for the moment the only crowd funded games that I can think might qualify. (Maybe deliverance also)

Last edited:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Eh, I can see where you are coming from. I'd agree that while AAA is definitely tied to budget I feel that it also has to do scope and production effort. Those games had dozens of highly skilled devs working years to release something that was well-defined, polished and expansive. And they weren't made cheaply. Maybe cheaper than the latest GTA, but some serious money went into those games.

Either way, AAA or not I'm just glad they are getting made :p

Now someone just has to buy the Wizardry IP and make a new one of those. My all time favorite RPG series.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I definitely backed this, but I don't think I've logged in once to check on it. Just waiting for release.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Look I more or less like all the above games and own all those that they released but a AAA game isn't an indication of how good they are or its quality but of budget. To my knowledge most of those games budgets wouldn't have been in the tens of millions. Maybe north of 10 sure but not too much north. Most AAA games advertising budget would most likely dwarf Torments entire budget. Torment, Pillars, Tyranny, Wasteland aren't those big AAA productions. Good games, yes depending on your tastes.

In fact DSO (maybe) and Star Citizen would be for the moment the only crowd funded games that I can think might qualify. (Maybe deliverance also)

I have to agree with this.

These days, I never really associate AAA with quality--not that many aren't--but with budget.

To me, AAA game simply means "Really pretty game with a budget envied by most Hollywood productions." If it's actually good, well, bonus! :D

Remember: how many ultra-budget Hollywood films are actually good? :p

Reactions: ImpulsE69

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I always consider AAA titles to be the ones that have as much budget spent on marketing if not more than they spent on the game.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i mostly associate AAA with towing cars.
Torment is not a AAA title by any means, but it's one of the most anticipated games of next year.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
AAA games spend too little on development and too much on advertisement. Torment is definitely not AAA; they used kickstarter for free advertisement and spent most of their $$$ on development (and production - those physical rewards cost money).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Lots of trash talking in the comments. It looks exactly like what I expected when I backed it.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Lots of trash talking in the comments. It looks exactly like what I expected when I backed it.

Did you, by chance, back Bards Tale IV too? Lots of critical comments on the bits we've been shown there too. I think some people just don't like InXile or their success. Maybe Brian Fargo stole their girlfriends or something.....