Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I just hit 82 last night on my Embermage. This is what it will look like when done:

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=2#lk_DdwsY1ca-LsHCEYCSFHrct-De

I was originally going to max Blazing Pillar, but Magma Spear applies my Staff debuff which is awesome. I decided to go with it instead. I had 14 points left over so I will just max out Prismatic Bolt for the heck of it.

Also, I did The Alchemist and Netherlord on Elite (used multiplayer), yeah that was fun getting rocked. I do not think I could stomach Elite and just dying in one shot all the time.

I play on Veteran.

Last edited:

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Just got to act3, I think I'm level 40. I'm seriously enjoying the game, some of the areas are very unique. I found a big fish (the one that makes your pet poisonous), the big version of it makes your pet permanently poisonous. Also anyone have any helpfull recipes for a 2 handed engineer?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I've got my Engineer up to lvl 57 (beat the game on Veteran and just doing maps now).
My primary attack is Flame Hammer though and I had a question:

When I have an item that increases fire damage x% I assume that applies the Flame Hammer attack too?

Edit: yeap it does.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Meh, not for me. Glad I tried the demo first, it does feel smooth and polished but nothing really stood out to me to set it apart from other diablo clones.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Found the phase monster. Killed the phase monster.
Opened the phase portal.
Entered the phase world.
Killed the phase boss.
Got the phase key.
Opened the phase door.
Received garbage.

WTF?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
how do you successfully save all the crystals in the the phase level where there are several sets of crystals you have to protect? I always lose the last 2...can't kill the enemies fast enough I guess.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Found the phase monster. Killed the phase monster.
Opened the phase portal.
Entered the phase world.
Killed the phase boss.
Got the phase key.
Opened the phase door.
Received garbage.

WTF?

I've yet to find anything good in the phase areas. Truthfully my best stuff came from the gambling vendor

JTDSR

Mar 16, 2012
Before I give T2 a shot, is the loot like D3 in that it is a random dice roll with x amount of attributes? I typically am an MMO kind of guy, and I wanted to play GW2, but I just do not have the time anymore to raid 3-4 days a week to get the high end loot. :(

I was hoping this game was like D3 in that hours spent farming could yield some REALLY nice items...

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Before I give T2 a shot, is the loot like D3 in that it is a random dice roll with x amount of attributes? I typically am an MMO kind of guy, and I wanted to play GW2, but I just do not have the time anymore to raid 3-4 days a week to get the high end loot. :(

I was hoping this game was like D3 in that hours spent farming could yield some REALLY nice items...

The loot is MUCH better in Torchlight2 than D3

JTDSR

Mar 16, 2012
Is there a decent market for said items? Or is it so abundant that bartering is impossible? I ask because for me, I enjoy farming items, then spending an hour or two in trade, trading and selling.

I am just hoping to avoid a game that has standardized items that are essentially clones of one another...

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I'm only guessing, but I'm thinking there's no pretty much no market whatsoever given the scope of the game and all game data being kept locally.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
been playing each character a little bit.

Best so far is ranged engineer and Berserker.

Everyone else just seems super weak. Been playing a sword and board engineer and he's died like 3 times in a short time. Constantly sucking down potions. I even have the little heal bot up to the 1st tier. takes a long time to kill enemies too.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I"m pretty much done with the game. I have had 2 guys that finished the last boss and I gotta say it was a load of fun. For 15 dollars, it was worth the money and then some. I have 78 hours played total, which is a pretty good value. And what's even better? I can play it again on single player if my internet goes out.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
been playing each character a little bit.

Best so far is ranged engineer and Berserker.

Everyone else just seems super weak. Been playing a sword and board engineer and he's died like 3 times in a short time. Constantly sucking down potions. I even have the little heal bot up to the 1st tier. takes a long time to kill enemies too.

Engineer is the strongest by far. I will debate ranged (cannon) versus two-handed weapon "tank". I have one of each. lvl 68 and 78 respectively. With Emberquake, the tank could CRUSH the canon engineer.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Anyone had an issue with the game locking up on the loading screen when moving between areas? Three friends and I have been trying to play a LAN game or Internet game for a few hours and every 2 or 3 times we switch areas one of us locks up.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Engineer is the strongest by far. I will debate ranged (cannon) versus two-handed weapon "tank". I have one of each. lvl 68 and 78 respectively. With Emberquake, the tank could CRUSH the canon engineer.

Link to builds? I'm thinking of getting this now that I am tired of Diablo 3.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
If yur tired of Diablo 3 I doubt Torchlight 2 will impress you. Its roughly the same only without the expensive cutscenes.

The gameplay of Diablo 3 is fine. It is the lack of good loot dropping, and ridiculous AH prices that ruin it.

I played the Torchlight 2 demo for a few minutes last night. It practically rains good loot in comparison. Blues, greens, oranges, and purples were falling everywhere.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I played the Torchlight 2 demo for a few minutes last night. It practically rains good loot in comparison. Blues, greens, oranges, and purples were falling everywhere.

I've played up to Act III in Torchlight II, and the amount of loot dropped is staggeringly higher in Torchlight II compared to Diablo III. I also thought that Torchlight II was significantly harder than Diablo III because the enemies will typically be in parity with you where it was easy to out-level them in Diablo III.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've played up to Act III in Torchlight II, and the amount of loot dropped is staggeringly higher in Torchlight II compared to Diablo III. I also thought that Torchlight II was significantly harder than Diablo III because the enemies will typically be in parity with you where it was easy to out-level them in Diablo III.

So, you get weaker loot, but the enemies were weaker?

How is this a problem?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, you get weaker loot, but the enemies were weaker?

How is this a problem?

Generally, you're not supposed to out-level everything as it makes the game a faceroll. It's actually hard to die in Diablo III prior to Inferno. I've died numerous times in Torchlight II simply because I play a bit too bullish after playing Diablo III for a bit. It also doesn't help that I'm a melee character, and that tends to put you in the thick of things.

Oh, and you also forget... it's not necessarily that the loot is weaker, but rather that it feels good to actually get loot that makes you say, "Ooo shiny!" With Diablo III, it's, "Oh... more vendor trash."