Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
Well, I have to think something is wrong with this game then, because I've been gaming since Wolf3d days and this is just damn impossible.

Here's my character and my weapon.
xFvJq.jpg

Where do you have all your skills bound? I just see a bunch of potions on your bar. Is that Summon Zombie on your right-click?

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
Where do you have all your skills bound? I just see a bunch of potions on your bar. Is that Summon Zombie on your right-click?

Slag what is up with this? no skills on your bar. I do see something on number 9 never played an outlander no clue what that is.

Jeffg010

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2008
So far I played both Embermage and now on a Berserker. Embermage was easy mode doing range and with Blazing Pillar. I had trouble with the Berserker and rerolled with a new build using Shadow Burst, that skill is a IWIN button.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Slag what is up with this? no skills on your bar. I do see something on number 9 never played an outlander no clue what that is.

Most of my skills are always on and maxxed out for my level. I do have summon skeletons (they are awesome), and summon zombies (which are ok as well but not terribly awesome) spells which I use. Some of my skills work only with bow and I sometimes use a shotgun also. Originally I was a dual wielding pistol outlander, but dual pistols suck. I don't have a huge mana pool either because much of my build was put towards high agility for crit and high strength for damage while keeping decent hp also. Unfortunately, I'm still easily one or two shot by mobs, especially those that teleport to where I am and smack the shit out of me.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I still don't get it. How do you cast your spells if you don't have them on your bar?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I still don't get it. How do you cast your spells if you don't have them on your bar?

Right click casts summon skeletons. I right click the icon to cast summon zombies when needed (not very often). All they do is walk slowly and blow stuff up, albeit, not very often. I need to change them out with a fireball spell and put it on the task bar.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Right click casts summon skeletons. I right click the icon to cast summon zombies when needed (not very often). All they do is walk slowly and blow stuff up, albeit, not very often. I need to change them out with a fireball spell and put it on the task bar.

I saw that, but what about other spells? Are you saying that you went up to level 55 using only one spell (and the original weapon 'attack' button)? I assume you spent your boatload of skill points on passive talents only?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I saw that, but what about other spells? Are you saying that you went up to level 55 using only one spell (and the original weapon 'attack' button)? I assume you spent your boatload of skill points on passive talents only?

Yes, you don't need to assume that, I said that same thing on post 581.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=34098022&postcount=581
Most of my skills are always on and maxxed out for my level. I do have summon skeletons (they are awesome), and summon zombies (which are ok as well but not terribly awesome) spells which I use. Some of my skills work only with bow and I sometimes use a shotgun also. Originally I was a dual wielding pistol outlander, but dual pistols suck. I don't have a huge mana pool either because much of my build was put towards high agility for crit and high strength for damage while keeping decent hp also. Unfortunately, I'm still easily one or two shot by mobs, especially those that teleport to where I am and smack the shit out of me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The problem is that you typically want to use some other abilities to help you control the fight. Some other abilities also deal significantly more damage (usually comparable to their mana cost) or have bonus effects (healing, etc.), which would be haphazard to ignore. Unfortunately, I haven't played Torchlight II yet (other than my time in the beta), so I can't give you specific abilities that would help you.

EDIT:

I did play the original Torchlight quite a bit, and to give you an idea, I put Summon: Skeletons and Heal All on my pet's auto-cast. My character used an elemental resistance spell along with an attack speed increase spell. I also had numerous abilities that allowed me to do things like perform area of effect (AoE) attacks or dash around to avoid bad situations. I was playing a user-created class, so stating ability names wouldn't be too helpful. :p

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I guess I wasn't clear whether you did this intentionally or not. Whether or not you realize that you're clearly gimping yourself by only having one attack skill learned.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I do have a few other abilities, but I just recently got the bow to use (previously was using an epic shotgun), and hadn't used those skills much since they weren't available with the shotgun. I'd list them if I was at home and could look them up. They are decent, like knockback and one that causes a rain of arrows to come down, etc.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I do have a few other abilities, but I just recently got the bow to use (previously was using an epic shotgun), and hadn't used those skills much since they weren't available with the shotgun. I'd list them if I was at home and could look them up. They are decent, like knockback and one that causes a rain of arrows to come down, etc.

But you cant (shouldn't) really do that.
Shotgun skills are not going to work on bows and vice versa. When it comes down to it, without a complete respec, you sort of have to pigeon hole yourself into one type of weapon (ie: going with a shotgun early on, then pumping skill points into shotgun specific skills. Or going dual pistol and pumping skills into dual wielding etc). you can't successfully flip flop between weapon styles.

I started a new engineer, and had a hard time deciding between two handed sword and shield and sword. I put 3 points in sword & shield skills, and now regret those 3 poitns as I have been nothing but 2 handed swords, and am now level 36. I WANT THOSE TWO POINTS BACK!!! :)

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
But you cant (shouldn't) really do that.
Shotgun skills are not going to work on bows and vice versa. When it comes down to it, without a complete respec, you sort of have to pigeon hole yourself into one type of weapon (ie: going with a shotgun early on, then pumping skill points into shotgun specific skills. Or going dual pistol and pumping skills into dual wielding etc). you can't successfully flip flop between weapon styles.

I started a new engineer, and had a hard time deciding between two handed sword and shield and sword. I put 3 points in sword & shield skills, and now regret those 3 poitns as I have been nothing but 2 handed swords, and am now level 36. I WANT THOSE TWO POINTS BACK!!! :)

I should have not put any points into dual wield pistols, but really, I need to switch back and forth between shotgun (can hit multiple targets and stun easily) and bow which is good at long range sniping. Those little shadow looking blobs that steal mana suck with a single shot weapon, but are easy with a shotgun when stunned.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Made a video. WTF. How the hell am I supposed to zone in and not get instantly killed. He whacks me right off the bat and nearly instakills me, then I try to run away and pot at the same time and boom, dead. Rinse, repeat. What the hell???

And you guys say he is easy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpQWDPXdGSQ

Finally beat him. Took 42 pots.

Last edited:

Jaiguru

Aug 13, 2007
So I just found a Vendor Boon Scroll. It says it summons a vendor that sells set pieces. Think it would be smart to hang on to this thing until Im higher level or just go ahead and use it? I've got about 50 hours played and this is the first of them I've found so Im thinking its pretty rare.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
So I just found a Vendor Boon Scroll. It says it summons a vendor that sells set pieces. Think it would be smart to hang on to this thing until Im higher level or just go ahead and use it? I've got about 50 hours played and this is the first of them I've found so Im thinking its pretty rare.

Use it now, he only gives items based on the level he was found in, ie if you were in an area with lvl 50 mobs he will only sell items that could drop from a lvl 50 monster. You lucky buck

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Use it now, he only gives items based on the level he was found in, ie if you were in an area with lvl 50 mobs he will only sell items that could drop from a lvl 50 monster. You lucky buck

Um no. He gives items based on the lvl you use it.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Made a video. WTF. How the hell am I supposed to zone in and not get instantly killed. He whacks me right off the bat and nearly instakills me, then I try to run away and pot at the same time and boom, dead. Rinse, repeat. What the hell???

I believe the full rejuv ones are full health instant? Btw, grats for beating the boss. Well done.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Man Elite is so much harder. It's a fun challenge, but it gets frustrating.
I can take my lvl 39 engineer and he more or less breezes through Veteran when I play solo. When I play online with buddies, we do Elite and it's MUCH harder. I'm constantly gulping potions and dying.

Did I mention I love this game?

If anyone wants to "friend" me so we can play or trade gear or whatever, let me know.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005

That sucks. I am spoiled with the Embermage's Frost Phase.

Congrats on finally beating him.