Torchlight 2, My Impressions... (updated: 5/10/12 with Final Impressions)

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
My dodge is maxed out at level 50 and they hit me all the time. I run ahead, turn around, shoot them, they are usually invulnerable to interrupts and the like which means no knockback, no stun, no blind, etc. They walk up, hit me once which takes me down to half health, I pop a potion, they use a special attack like acid or fire or electric and boom, I'm dead, not to mention their adds. So, I come in with a skeleton army, they come after me, I run around them, lead them back through the skeletons, rinse repeat for 5 minutes or so until the mob is dead.

I have around 115-140 resists on all types of elemental attacks also.

I find %health steal is very important. I still use 3 piece runic set from way back.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
My engineer is 24, just doing act 2 now. Found some unique pole arm that can be leveled by killing spiders. What a difference the weapon made, was struggling with a slow two hander, this has much better speed. Leveled a heal bot some more, definitely helps.

The_Golden_Man

Apr 7, 2012
I've not played this game much since release. I've mostly played Borderlands 2. So how are you guys/girls liking this game?

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
You realize that glaives just got nerfed?

They may still be decent, I haven't tried them either way.

I had missed that. They'd still be very strong just due the mechanics (homing missile) of the skill and the synergy they have with a few of the other skills, (think +poison damage). Outlanders should be kiters and glaives are an insanely simple way of kiting things.

In other news I've finally made it to Act2 with my first EHC character. I broke down and actually built to avoid getting one shot. Lame I know. Zerkers and Engi's seem the best for Elite if for nothing else then their innate 25% damage reduction. Shit is op.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Finished the main game at level 52.

Very enjoyable. What Diablo 3 should have been if it didn't become a trading simulation.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
so if I want to do sword and shield, is engineer the best class? It seems berserker is pretty much claws and junk orientated.

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
so if I want to do sword and shield, is engineer the best class? It seems berserker is pretty much claws and junk orientated.

If you want sword and shield, engineer is the ONLY class. Take all of the defensive skills you can, including the passives, in the Aegis tree (3rd tab). Pump up vitality more than anything else, because you will need survivability, as it will take you a while to kill things, and of course you have to get up close to do it. From the Construction tree (2nd tab) take the healbot and max him out - it really helps.

Above all, be careful, take it slow, don't get surrounded, have heal potions handy (the best available), and be prepared to make a "tactical retreat" (i.e., run the hell away) if you have to.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Engineer with 2 handed sword (or shield + sword) is a wrecking ball.
The flaming hammer is unstoppable.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Quick update. Fun in small doses, game looks good, and the combat and controls feel better than the first one. And I really dig the gun animations. Currently enjoying running around with some random spec blowing shit up and having fido sell my wares (MMOs should do that). $20 well spent IMHO.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I'm hosed. Cant teleport out, no portal to get out either. I entered a blue portal labelled floor 5 but ended up on the 4th floor. I really don't want to have to start up a network game and blow away this since I've cleared a large part of it already. Any other suggestions?

XMv40.jpg

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I figured out how to get out.. nevermind.. Quit the game, started a lan game, then quit that, and started single player.. boom, back at town

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Netherlord is impossible to kill. In addition to the 10 spawns he has running around at any given time, he has multiple AOE attacks that take up a large part of the area you are running around on. I run away, turn, fire off a few shots, barely hurt one of his adds, run off, rinse, repeat. Done this for 30 minutes. A tiny sliver of his health is gone, and I've gone through 24 pots and am out of money. This dude is seriously impossible to kill.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Netherlord is impossible to kill. In addition to the 10 spawns he has running around at any given time, he has multiple AOE attacks that take up a large part of the area you are running around on. I run away, turn, fire off a few shots, barely hurt one of his adds, run off, rinse, repeat. Done this for 30 minutes. A tiny sliver of his health is gone, and I've gone through 24 pots and am out of money. This dude is seriously impossible to kill.

What difficulty are you playing?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Veteran I think. Its a step up from normal. How can I drop back to an easier mode of play?

Join an easier internet game I know works.

But I've only beaten the game with my zerker. Admittedly I had insane gear at the time :) I did use that trick noted above to "Peek" at gambler gear before buying it. Then I got everything double socketed and enchanted out the ass for awesome stats. Netherlord was cake walk to my zerker on elite. I literally just dropped banner and stood there with auto attack going until he died. Didn't need to do anything else. That was after the nerf to banner as well. I only use the banner on bosses for the knockback resistance really.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
WTF?!?!!? I just logged in and played and my character is TOTALLY recerted to a previous save... like 2 days old!

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I have no idea what NG or NG++ is. This is my first run through and its like everything is on nightmare level.

Hope you dont mean nightmare as in diablo nightmare. Anyways he is a pushover with appropriate gear and spec even in elite.

NG means new game which you get after beating netherlord. So at NG+ your mobs start at mid 50s and NG++ your mobs are quite a bit higher.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Well, I have to think something is wrong with this game then, because I've been gaming since Wolf3d days and this is just damn impossible.

Here's my character and my weapon.
xFvJq.jpg