Top 5 problems in America today.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
1)Lack of personal responsibility
2)Lack of respect & humility for others
3)Excess of Personal & Corporate greed
4)Lack of respect for God & Religion
5)Lack of compassion & love for others

AcidicFury

Golden Member
May 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I would say rather than terroism being the problem, it's the fear of it. And erosion of liberty is tied into religious fundamentalism and the fear of terrorism.

Edit:
#1: Lack of personal responsibility.
#2: Eroding liberties due to various casues
#3: Lack of the importance of family
#4: Lack of the importance of education in key areas
#5: Lack of assuming risk for one's actions.

I agree mostly with this list, although I would make a few changes.

1. The rise of materialism and the dependence the US has on borrowing rather than saving.

Look at average credit card debt in this country, people buying things they can't afford and charging it. Our government using money they don't have to pay for things we won't be able to pay back for decades. China and East Asia, because of their glut in savings, are floating our economy and we won't be able to compete on an equal level with them until we have a balanced economy.

2. Major man-made pandemics and a healthcare system that is completely unable to fix them effectively.

Obesity is an entirely man-made epidemic that is killing millions of Americans. AIDS is something else that even though we don't hear about as much in the USA, it is becoming quite a problem in low-income areas and places where sex education isn't valued as highly. In both of these instances, major pharmaceutical companies don't have the incentive to create cures, rather, they have an incentive to make things "under control." The reason for this is that if one doesn't have insurance, you will pay through the nose for your care. If you have a major heart attack and don't have insurance, it can cost over $50,000! How is one to pay for that? Even with insurance charging people like crazy, the only way to create a better system for both low and high income families is to institute a nationalized healthcare system with an option for the wealthier to buy supplemental health insurance (to basically cut the line if they want- but they pay more) which gives everyone a basic foundation of care.

3. Primary and Secondary schools need reform.

The fact remains that schools don't prepare you for life as much as they need to be doing. Due to the rise in compulsive standardized testing, kids are learning very little but whats on the test. What needs to be taught is not necessarily physics and world history- but rather that a love of learning is essential. It comes before anything else. If a kid loves to read and to learn, the world is completely open- he/she can learn anything. Our schooling is creating rote learning automatons, and this lack of creativity- something the US has been known for for centuries- is becoming useless.

4. Lack of responsibility and lack of the importance of family.

I am going to blatantly steal Demon-Xanth's points here because they are, quite frankly, brilliant. But, I think they're connected in a thematic way. One of the reasons why the US has a problem with responsibility is that our current generation has had everything handed to us. That's a family issue that needs to be resolved first and foremost. The family structure has become less and less important, and as a result, kids aren't learning the values they need to be nowadays. Even if a family is together, that's no guarantee that things will turn out OK. Kids (and even young adults) crave support from someone in this world, and the baby boomer is there to give it to them. Therefore, responsibilities become mitigated- and growing up comes along at a much slower pace.

5. The rising prevalence of ethnocentrism and jingoist love for the US.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat for not loving my country, I do love it. However, I don't believe that everything it does or every custom it has is necessarily the best. Too often we aren't open to other people's and culture's ways of thinking, degrading is rather than thinking of it as different. This solves for religious fundamentalism, because they are inherently ethnocentric. The main thing here as well is that we need to just expand our minds to accept other cultures. When we degrade the French, the only thing we're doing is showing our stupidity. Every culture has its ups and downs, and being aware of those creates a more well-rounded individual.

Hammerhead

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Fast Food
Hip-Hop Culture (music, lifestyle)
Lack of respect for senior citizens
Lack of good role models
People have lost their bawls

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
1. (tied) Republicans
1. (tied) Democrats
2. Religion
3. Legal System (too many laws, laws are very wordy. Laws should be simple and open to interpretation. Instead there are so many laws that it is pretty much impossible for people to know all of them. Also, There are lots of loopholes. There should be no loopholes.)
4. Marketing/Advertising. It just keeps getting more and more annoying
5. This isn't true for the chicago area, however, most of the rest of the country suffers from a lack of proper chicago style pizza. This has got to stop!

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Doboji
I say

1(tied) Education
1(tied) the erosion of liberty
2 Terrorism
3 Religious Fundamentalism
4 Rising cost of Healthcare

1 Dependence on oil, foreign and domestic
2 Lack of leadership
3 Lack of funding for education
4 Declining moral standards
5 Rising cost of living period and wages not increasing

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Doboji
I say

1(tied) Education
1(tied) the erosion of liberty
2 Terrorism
3 Religious Fundamentalism
4 Rising cost of Healthcare

1) broken legal system
2) bloated and partially corrupt government
3) broken legal system
4) The middle east (not "OMFG the are out to get us" as much as "damn, we screwed that situation up . . . now what?")
5) broken legal system

This country needs tort reform. Too bad everyone with the power to initiate tort reform was, is, or is recieving large donations from lawyers.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
1.) Sense of entitlement
2.) Lack of personal responsibility
3.) People are becomming pussified
4.) Stupidity is widely acceptable
5.) Debt/Credit/Loans are not the answer to your money problems

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
1. people embracing stupidity - there is nothing wrong with any public school, all have books. but kids and their parents don't expect or want to learn

2. americans are spoiled brats - we have a negative savings rate for the third year in US history, the other 2 were at the worst of the depression. Americans think they are entitled to the best.

3. most americans are lazy, and supported by a select few. This country would have nothing if not for the hard work of a few ingenious and hard working scientists and entroprenuers

4. no drive to improve one's self, family, society, nation, rest of humanity...everything people make, they put towards their self indulgence, and many are happy with a job that doesn't really improve the life of anyone

5. no respect for the opinions of non americans (though this is overblown by most arabs)
why did we go kick the sh1t out of Iraq? cause we wanted to, not because they were a threat, or they wanted us to. it may have been the right thing to do, but there were maybe 100 million people in the US that supported it, and a few in england and Iraq.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: UglyCasanova
I'm sorry I don't really find terrorism to be a huge problem in America, just a distraction. How many of you are affected by terrorism? 0.000001 - 0.0%. How many of you are affected by huge government spending, high health cost, terrible public schools, religious fundamentalism, poverty, gas prices, etc?

Agreed.

6000SUX

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
National security
National debt
Disappearance of the middle class
Energy (mis)management
Government spending

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: halik
oooh I know I know

1) Gay Marriage
2) Flag Burning
3) Illegal Immigrants
4) Abortion
5) War on Christman

Any good republican will tell you that illegal immigrants are not a problem in this country. All those red state Bush supporters surely would agree with me on this right? I mean, look at his policies on illegal immigration! Bush is clearly an open borders, pro illegal immigrant, cheap labor supporter.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
1. the government
2. christian fundamentalists who don't see how they're the exact same as muslim fundamentalists
3. erosion of liberty
4. healthcare costs
5. terrorism

zerocool1

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
femaven.blogspot.com
education
The american education system is paltry compared to others around the world especially in math and science. How do we expect to compete for jobs in the global market. Our standards are lower at the lower grades. In high school it is more applied knowledge, I was talking to my cousin who came to this country during HS and was comparing it to India. It was mentioned by thepd7 about paying teachers more. It is an investment in our future. Heck pay police officers and fire fighters more. Each day they put themselves in harms way to protect us.

loss of values
profit at any cost->enron
dual income families usually don't have enough time to spend with their kids. Sure they have money, but the kid doesn't develop the same way as a person with a parent that stays home. My mom worked the night shift at a hospital when I was starting school so I was able to spend a lot of time with her. But then again my mom felt that was important. Our country is divided on political affiliations, red & blue. I aggree with Demon-Xanth on personal responsiblity. I've seen far too much of it among my peers in college. I'm guilty of it. It hurts to say that, but I know its true. The sense of entitlement that others in the thread mentioned should be lumped in this group.

fundementalism/ethnocentrism
horrible international relations which causing other countries to hate Americans and their arrogance. Ultimately causing terrorism. I'm sick of the biggoted religious right in this country. I have friends that are very religious but aren't intolerant of other ideas. But on the whole I see the religious right as intolerant of what ever falls outside the Christian doctrine. This sort of breeds a herd mentality.

healthcare
The costs are too high, not enough r&d. but with the Gates Foundation that could hopefully change. Not enough education on cancer and other life-threatening diseases.

environmental policy
our policy with regard to the environment isn't strong. with gas prices rising & global warming, why is it that people drive SUVs? Their is a finite supply of fossil fuel and we use so much of it from cars, power, and plastics. Yep plastic is made from oil.

incursions on freedoms
patriot act, With a name like that it almost seems if you don't agree with it, you're unpatriotic.
wiretapping, what the hell is this an Orwellian society?
dmca (it doesn't protect the consumer in cases of fair use, I know because I talked to an IP lawyer about it, in a class). We shouldn't fear terrorism. It's been mentioned in the threat but it needs to be reiterated. I think we are stupid to allow this to happen, under the guise of patriotism and all that jazz.

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
The main issue is LACK of religion and religious structure, as well as religion itself. On one hand we have the non-religious people who have no sound structure and believe in only themselves. Instead of congregating and socializing to reach some goal of morals and overall drive to centralize and become a group of people who could make a difference they would rather go about their lives alone or with one or two others and bash the ones who try to better themselves and the people around them.

On the other hand, we have religion. The major issue with religion is not the question of "Is there a God?" but about the morals people have set for their specific religion, then picking/choosing from this list to fit their needs. If a non-religious person sees the selfishness of a congregation then what draw would they have to join them if they can create their own morals from scratch to meet their personal needs? Religion needs structure and by selfishness alone the stones set in place many, many years ago begin to crumble.

With that being said, the main reason our country has as many problems as we do is simply morals. We are not a very united country as we would love others to believe. We stand alone most of the time in our own cliques and shun those who wish to join. Now it is easy to bash "religious fanatics" and "those who believe in God" but the fact is we need these people more than we ever have before. Not for God or for a "higher being" but for the moral fabric that seems to have ripped into oblivion.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Abel007
The main issue is LACK of religion and religious structure, as well as religion itself. On one hand we have the non-religious people who have no sound structure and believe in only themselves. Instead of congregating and socializing to reach some goal of morals and overall drive to centralize and become a group of people who could make a difference they would rather go about their lives alone or with one or two others and bash the ones who try to better themselves and the people around them.

On the other hand, we have religion. The major issue with religion is not the question of "Is there a God?" but about the morals people have set for their specific religion, then picking/choosing from this list to fit their needs. If a non-religious person sees the selfishness of a congregation then what draw would they have to join them if they can create their own morals from scratch to meet their personal needs? Religion needs structure and by selfishness alone the stones set in place many, many years ago begin to crumble.

With that being said, the main reason our country has as many problems as we do is simply morals. We are not a very united country as we would love others to believe. We stand alone most of the time in our own cliques and shun those who wish to join. Now it is easy to bash "religious fanatics" and "those who believe in God" but the fact is we need these people more than we ever have before. Not for God or for a "higher being" but for the moral fabric that seems to have ripped into oblivion.

HAHAHAHA yeah, THAT'S it.... the problem is that we don't have enough christians crusaders.... hahaha please.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

we need religion to stop all those crazy athetist running around killing people, burning down buildings, and yelling at kittens...

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
I would say rather than terroism being the problem, it's the fear of it. And erosion of liberty is tied into religious fundamentalism and the fear of terrorism.

Edit:
#1: Lack of personal responsibility.
#2: Eroding liberties due to various casues
#3: Lack of the importance of family
#4: Lack of the importance of education in key areas
#5: Lack of assuming risk for one's actions.

Agree with all of these, especially number one...good call.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Culture of victimization / not taking flak for your own sh*t
Can't-be-bothered atitude towards education (not that Asians don't do it either mind you)
Entitlement

That's basically it. :p

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
According to the recent Senate...

1) Flag Burning
2) BF2 is a terrorist training game
3) Tax on Pimps
4) Illegal Immigration
5) Is Howard Stern destroying our children

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: eits
1. the government
2. christian fundamentalists who don't see how they're the exact same as muslim fundamentalists
3. erosion of liberty
4. healthcare costs
5. terrorism

LOL yes Christians keep women from reading/showing their faces, kill people who leave the church, and suicide bomb hundreds (many 100% innocent civilians).

Originally posted by: JS80
Actually, if you increase wages for teachers, it'll attract more idiots. It's one of those professions that you can't really do much to better because it's such a stupid job. Economically, teachers don't create wealth so they can't demand higher wages. And if you force higher wages, it will attract more idiots.

Negative. I am pusuing an engineering degree and an MBA simply because I could not support a large family as a teacher. I have a 3.6 and will graduate Magna Cum Laude. This has nothign to do with qualification to teach, just saying I would if it payed better and I am not an idiot. I love kids and I would make an excellent teacher.

Teachers = Education, Education = Wealth.

Abel007

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: eits

HAHAHAHA yeah, THAT'S it.... the problem is that we don't have enough christians crusaders.... hahaha please.

Its pretty obvious you completely missed my point or only read one sentence out of my post. Also, good job with the assumption that I was talking about Christians. :roll:

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005

1) Common sense / Personal Responsibility
2) High cost of living
3) Education
4) Health Care
5) Religios Fanaticism