Top 10 Biggest Computer Flops of all Time.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
wow I liked OS/2, BeOS should be on that list, I LOVED it but it never made it :(

hahah Microsoft BOB, almost makes ME look decent... almost

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
man I remember working on NeXT machines at the university of Kentucky back in 1996 and 1997, those things were AWESOME!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
OS/2? OS/2 is about the same as xerox's alto. OS/2 was originally a collaboration between MS and IBM. in the late 80s the decided to split up. IBM continued with OS/2 versions 3 and 4. MS took the code base and used it for Windows NT, which just about everyone runs nowadays (that's the reason why NT started with version 3, there had already been two versions under the OS/2 name).

actually, it's more of a success than alto was, because at least one of the two major developers is getting gobs of cash from it.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
Apple sure knows how to make the list.

Yes, but if you read the end of the article you'll see why. Apple brings innovative products to market. Some work out, some don't.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey, the PC Jr. made the list! :D That was the first computer I ever used... wish we hadn't sold it. :(

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Damn, why couldn't ipod bomb like newton... Anyway, BOB was a nothing more than Win 3.1 w/ a candy shell. You can drag all the icons around and place them on book shelves. That's fun for about 2 minutes.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
MS BOB ;)

Hahaha... I stuck with Windows 3.1 and MS-Dos when that came out. Then Windows 95 came out and everyone started switching.

I miss DOS :(

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
haha great list. I dont' remember bob though, but i remember everything else form windows 1.0 and on....oh well looks like i didn't miss much lol

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
A company (not neccessarily a product so to speak) that has really fallen from computer grace is Silicon Graphics. Taken from Wiki:

In addition, SGI's premature announcement of its MIPS-to-Itanium architecture migration (still uncompleted, as of 2006, though they did announce the end of MIPS/IRIX products by December) and its abortive ventures into IA-32 architecture systems (the Visual Workstation line, the ex-Intergraph Zx10 range and the SGI 1000-series Linux servers) damaged the company's credibility in the market.

In November 2005, SGI announced that they had been delisted from the New York Stock Exchange because their common stock had fallen below the minimum share price for listing on the exchange. SGI's market capitalization has dwindled from a peak of over seven billion dollars in 1995 to just $120 million at the time of their delisting. In February 2006, the company announced that it may run out of cash by the end of the year, forcing a sale of the company or even bankruptcy. [4]

On 8 May 2006, it was announced that SGI had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. [5] On 17 October 2006, it was announced that SGI had emerged from Chapter 11 protection. [6] The company's symbol SGID.pk was canceled on Oct. 17. The stock is now traded under the symbol, SGIC. SGID common stockholders did not receive any of the new stock and are left with worthless shares. The company will not speak SGID shareholders and refers them to a recorded message.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Syrch
When it became too hot inside the computer (Engineers opted to not use a fan), chips would start popping out of the boards! In order to correct the issue, Apple tech support could be heard saying "please lift up your Apple 3 about 10 centimeters off the desk, and drop it." this would put the chips back in the slots sometimes.

:laugh: