Took my cell to the beach...

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
...and I think I broke it. It got a little wet and now none of the keys are functioning. It still turns on, but nothing happens when I try and press keys and it gets no reception. :( :( I had the Audiovox 8300

I was wondering what phones are good in the market right now?? Here's what I have and my price range:

Service: Verizon Wireless
Contract: Just resigned 1 year contract a month ago to get more minutes
Price Range: Looking for less than $150
Type: Would like a candy bar type phone, but would be willing to consider a flip-style.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Put it in the microwave on 50% power for about a minute. That will get the water out for you. MAKE SURE YOU DO 50% POWER!

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: fumbduck
idiot.

Let it dry for a few days, it should work fine.

It's salt water tho.. wouldn't that conduct more electricity within the components ?
The phone's circuits are prolly fried.

Did you have insurance on the phone ?
I know they put me default on insurance, when I signed up.
I had to call and cancel it so they don't charge me the extra 5 bucks each month.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Yeah.... I know.... stupid me.

Now what about the current cell phones out there?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Put it in the microwave on 50% power for about a minute. That will get the water out for you. MAKE SURE YOU DO 50% POWER!
:D

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Motorola v120e from eBay. Absolutely no remification on contract length.
Don't buy it through Verizon.

I have the v120c and it is very tough. the v120e is even toughter, because there is no antenna to break. As old as thing thing is, mine never gives me much trouble and it's got a pretty good battery life for a Verizon phone.

$70 new isn't too bad I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3088521243&category=64355

It wouldn't survive water damage, but you'd have to drive over it with a car to break the screen.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Couldn't you soak it in distilled & dionized water for a while (1 hour?), then let it dry for three or four days? That might get the salt water out completely and get it working again. Of course it might screw it up even more. I take no responsibility if you do this.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Couldn't you soak it in distilled & dionized water for a while (1 hour?), then let it dry for three or four days? That might get the salt water out completely and get it working again. Of course it might screw it up even more. I take no responsibility if you do this.

He kept playing with it instead of immediately taking the battery out. The thing's rotted out by electrolytic corrosion.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

He kept playing with it instead of immediately taking the battery out. The thing's rotted out by electrolytic corrosion.

Oh...ok then. Would that have worked if he hadn't been playing with it?

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: NeoPTLD

Oh...ok then. Would that have worked if he hadn't been playing with it?

TechSpray cleaner

Techspary website they make some stuff you may be able to use to clean your phone, if you are willing to take it apart. They often require very small torx screws.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I would try taking the phone apart, removing any batteries in it, and dropping every piece into rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is cheap and won't corrode it if you dry it off. It will also clean any of the salt on it.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
Dry it out. I dropped my samsung PCS phone in the salty water (It was in my shorts and I fell while in the water) It didnt work, and I thought I was SOL, so I bought a new phone. Month later I checked it and it turned on fine.

So take out hte battery, open it up as much as possible and dry it out.

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I would try taking the phone apart, removing any batteries in it, and dropping every piece into rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is cheap and won't corrode it if you dry it off. It will also clean any of the salt on it.

yeah corrosion will kill it, not the water

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There is generally nothing wrong with getting electronics wet. PCB assemblys are washed in pure water at the factory.

What do you have to lose? Soak it in distilled water for a while, and then let it dry for at least a week in a warm place. It will take a long time to get the water out of the inside unless you open it up.

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
My brother found a phone in a public pool building that had obviously been dropped in the water, and left there because it didn't work. He brought it back to his dorm 'just because', where him and his buddies played 'phone soccer' for a few weeks. One day he hit the power button and it worked fine. Actually turned out that it belonged to one of his roomie's girlfriend, who was glad to get it back working, since she had all her contacts on it.