Too Stupid to Vote?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Great argument DaBoneHead. So when you're investigated for tax fraud, tell me how it turns out. I'd like to know what they tell you when you say that it's not your fault you claimed 23 dependants, your spaghetti sauce was boiling over while you were filling out your return. :p

Oh, a word of advice, don't drop the soap.

Schola

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
My take on this is that if you did not take your time and look at the ballot before voting then you are SOL. Its not that hard people. From what they are showing on the TV, there are arrows and the holes and arrows are numbermer, so there schould be no re-vote.

Schola

Edit: I know that each county is different but the one showing on CNN is suppposidly the one that everyone is complaining about.

sd

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
I agree, if your stupid, you can vote. BUT, if your stupid and punch 2 holes, you do not get a re-vote. Simple as that!

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Maybe voting is a right but I always viewed it as a responsibility which means you have a responsibility to actually read and understand the ballot instructions.

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

BoberFett, hey, I'm just trying to play Devil's Advocate.

Whatever the reason for messed up votes, we still have to acknowledge that there *were* messed up votes. Does that mean that those votes don't count... well, to tell the truth, normally I'd say they don't count, because elections are rarely decided by so few votes, but here I have to say that yes they count, and that I have no doubt that those 19,000 ballots would determine the election.

Oh, and don't worry about me and the IRS, after years of doing the taxes myself, I'm using an accountant now... :p

Moving Target

Dec 6, 1999
Do you really want our next president decided by people that can't punch the right hole next to the BIG arrow next to thier name!

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

Want I want, or what you want, or what anyone at AT wants, doesn't matter in this case.

It is their right. One citizen, one vote. Even if they are "dumb".

Moving Target

Dec 6, 1999
Red Dawn

I am not talking about every old person, I don't think they are the only one's complaining. I just think if you CARED enough about your vote, you would make sure it was correct and counted. If you CARED enough about it, you would have re-done a new ballot right away if you though you screwed it up. If you didn't fix it right away, you must not have CARED too much about it!

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
your right bonehead one vote and they had it. just because they screwed it up does not entitle them to another vote.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< One citizen, one vote. Even if they are &quot;dumb&quot;. >>

Exactly. And that's what they had. One vote. A re-vote would be two votes.

If it was so important to these people that they vote for a certain candidate, why didn't they figure it out the first time around?

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Hey they made the voting simple enough for every inbred redneck in the midwest to get it right why wouldn't they do the same for the feebs in Florida?

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Bitch bitch bitch.. we have a responsibility to make sure people were not misled... no matter how &quot;stupid&quot; they are. Their ballots were different, and maybe the weren't used to it. Just give them the benifit of the doubt. As i said, you wouldn't be biching if the area was a republican strong hold. If its just one or two mistakes.. then obviously its not a problem. But 19k people making the same mistakes in a small area.. something is wrong. Do you repubs really want to win fairly and by the will of the people? Guess not.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bonehead, Red, others, you keep saying that they (like everyone) have a right to vote. Of course they do, as does everyone else. They probably deserve that right more than everyone else since they've earned that right. Now, that having been established -- they were given the opportunity to vote, and they took it. They voted. Now who's to take responsibility for their mistake? (incorrectly filling out the ballot).

Also, if this ballot was so difficult to fill out, how come those same people that supposedly screwed up their vote were able to punch (as CNN terms it) &quot;a straight democratic ticket throughout&quot; the rest of the ballot? Selective stupidity perhaps?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
If we all had to stop and correct the mistakes made by stupidity, nobody anywhere on earth would ever get anything done.

Do you propose Palm Beach County should put into a law a new voting procedure? How about 3 lines: 1 for stupid people, 1 for those with average intelligence, and 1 for geniuses. Of course then the burden of deciding which line to choose might by deemed &quot;unfair&quot;.

If an elderly person has a &quot;senior moment&quot; at the voting booth, that's not the country's problem. You voted, you made the decision, you walked out.