Too many choices...please help me buy a Radeon 6870.

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
Just bought a new Dell XPS 8300. From my research it appears that the most powerful card that will play nice with Dell's stock 460W PSU is the Radeon 6870. But there are quite a few choices and I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I've been looking at:

XFX

and

PowerColor

and

Sapphire

as well as a couple others. I really don't want to spend much more than $160. Are the 6870s in this price range all pretty much the same? Should I just flip a coin and be done with it...or should I be considering something else? Thanks.

Last edited:

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
The XFX was the one I was originally leaning towards, but then I read about some bios issue that affects this particular card. Apparently there's a fix, but I'm not so sure I want to have to deal with all that.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'm sure you have a ruler you can measure the space inside your case with... unless you don't have it yet. If not, contact dell :)

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
I'm sure you have a ruler you can measure the space inside your case with... unless you don't have it yet. If not, contact dell :)

I guess I can chat with a Dell rep...hopefully they will have the maximum dimensions for a video card handy.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
of course the 6870 will fit. it is an option straight from Dell when configuring the XPS 8300. in fact how could it not fit in any normal size case?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
The XFX 6870 dual-fan is not an option when configuring XPS 8300. At 10.3" long, it's longer than most of the 6870's out there; I don't know which 6870 Dell use in the config. Reference model?

You're right though, it'd be pretty odd if it didn't fit.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
the one he linked to is not a dual fan model. it would have to be a pretty strange case not to accept any mid range card.

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
the one he linked to is not a dual fan model. it would have to be a pretty strange case not to accept any mid range card.

True, the one I linked to isn't...but lehtv posted this dual fan XFX a bit lower down. The price is good, but it is a bit longer than the single fan 6870 so I'm not sure if it will work. I believe the cards that dell offers are ~9".

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
True, the one I linked to isn't...but lehtv posted this dual fan XFX a bit lower down. The price is good, but it is a bit longer than the single fan 6870 so I'm not sure if it will work. I believe the cards that dell offers are ~9".
my bad, that should still fit though since just over 10 inches is not huge. I have come across postings on the net where people have installed gtx570/gtx580 cards without a problem in that case and those are 10.5 inches.

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
my bad, that should still fit though since just over 10 inches is not huge. I have come across postings on the net where people have installed gtx570/gtx580 cards without a problem in that case and those are 10.5 inches.

Thanks for the info. I may pull the trigger on this one.

broadwayblues

Oct 29, 2011
and if you are still worried then just take a simple ruler and measure before ordering the card as lehtv already mentioned.

Got the system and opened her up this evening. Looks like there's just over 10.5" before the Sata cables running from the MB to the HDD and DVD will cause a problem. But there is more room worst case if needed.

Jhatfie

Jan 20, 2004
I run that dual fan XFX 6870 in my HTPC. Great card and a good overclocker as well. Easily does over 1Ghz stable if I feed it some extra voltage. Pretty quiet as well.