Question Too hot?

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Hi there, I recently started gaming again after a decade off. I've been playing Rage PC.

I have a Ryzen 2400G and I'm using the integrated graphics, which plays very well by the way on my 27" IPS.

Anyways, the cpu hits 75c and it's not even the hottest part of Summer yet and I want to know is that too hot and I need to do something or is it ok? I know back in the day that was too hot, but I don't know if they can handle more heat now or what.

Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, unlike Athlon II and Phenom II, and FM1 and FM2, that had a Max Operating Temp spec, of like 62C or 70C, the Ryzen CPUs and APUs have a Max Operating Temp spec of around 80-85C. So there's a little head-room there.

What kind of cooler do you have? Could you possibly afford a CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO, or a Gammaxx 400 tower heat-pipe cooler? Those are bit more effective air coolers than the stock AMD cooler, but still cheap enough to be "budget" options.

The Gammaxx has a horrible, primitive, brute-force mounting mechanism, that I absolutely despise, for AMD, but... it has been as low as $19.99 or $18.99 on sale at Newegg sometimes. I think that they might only have the Gammaxx 400 LED version now, for more money, which is kind of sad.

CoolerMaster 212EVO is generally not on straight sale, but often has or had a $10 MIR with it, so occasionally it was as low as $20-25 AR, but generally it's around $30 on sale.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
75C is perfectly fine, especially at stock volts. If you start getting into the mid-80s as it warms up, you might need to upgrade your cooling.