Too bad no one had a CCW.. Tokyo man goes on stabbing rampage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: magomago
Gun deaths per 100,000 in Japan in 2007:
Gun deaths per 100,000 in the US in 2007:

Well I don't think this statistic is fair because it makes it seem like deaths only come through guns. OF COURSE in a society where it is banned you will have substantially lower deaths due to guns. The question is if many of these deaths get shifted to other areas.

However, what this statistic should really show to us is that in a society where guns are banned, you still have about ~1000 shootings a year. This shows that if a criminal really wants a gun, they WILL find a way to get a hold of one. Is it worth it to ban guns for the safety of society? Its a slippery slope, and one I'd prefer we do not go down because the same rationale can be used to limit our own freedoms to protect us against the "TerrA4ists"

I already addressed that. Even when you put in the general murder rate per 100,000 compared to the US in a regression table, you still end up with a statistically significant difference. So no, the deaths are not all shifted to other places.

I'm a firm believer in the 2nd amendment even though I would never ever own a gun. (I feel like if you want people to respect the parts of the bill of rights that I value, I have to respect the ones I don't like) As someone else said though, this situation is hardly a convincing pro-gun argument.

Actually you said:

If you plug it into a regression with the overall murder rate between Japan and the US you will still find a significantly lower rate of gun deaths.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
This is a terrible event that should not be used to promote or demonize guns. America and Japan are fundamentally different countries and cannot be directly compared like people are trying to do.

Like it or not, the second amendment is there. I am pro gun and anti-gun control. That does not mean we need to turn every tragedy that happens into some talking point for gun rights. Especially in other countries. To speculate about this incident is silly.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50
Gun deaths per 100,000 in Japan in 2007 = 0.7
Gun deaths per 100,000 in the US in 2007 = 7.07
Living in a free society = Priceless

Fixed

Just don't send any email or talk on your cell phone....

Yeah, I hope your lapping it up as they dish it out to you...

Free my ass...

No one said it wasn't a double edged sword. I think if someone went on a stabbing rampage in the US the dude could go far if he was smart about it.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
"Your leaving out an important fact... Japan happens to be one of the most homogeneous nations in the world. It has been proven when you have people from many different cultural, ethnic, and, religious backgrounds it causes social tensions and violence."

If that makes you feel better about the obscene rate of gun violence here in the US, then so be it....but it's a sorry excuse. Unless I'm imagining things, I believe I've read that the majority of gun crimes here in the US are by people that know the victim - so there goes your 'homogeneous mix' theory.

Next you'll pull our drug laws out as excuse #2.

What if this guy had an automatic weapon, and ended up killing 20-30 people? Would you still be using the same lame justification for CCW?

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Japan is the worst example for either a pro-gun or anti-gun argument. It's like arguing skiing or snowboarding for Iraq.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: gentobu
Clearly the solution is to limit knife purchases as well as restricting the sale of non-kitchen and utility knives. Doing this will make society safer.

Indeed

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Delita
Originally posted by: magomago

Well I don't think this statistic is fair because it makes it seem like deaths only come through guns. OF COURSE in a society where it is banned you will have substantially lower deaths due to guns. The question is if many of these deaths get shifted to other areas.

However, what this statistic should really show to us is that in a society where guns are banned, you still have about ~1000 shootings a year. This shows that if a criminal really wants a gun, they WILL find a way to get a hold of one. Is it worth it to ban guns for the safety of society? Its a slippery slope, and one I'd prefer we do not go down because the same rationale can be used to limit our own freedoms to protect us against the "TerrA4ists"

I already addressed that. Even when you put in the general murder rate per 100,000 compared to the US in a regression table, you still end up with a statistically significant difference. So no, the deaths are not all shifted to other places.

I'm a firm believer in the 2nd amendment even though I would never ever own a gun. (I feel like if you want people to respect the parts of the bill of rights that I value, I have to respect the ones I don't like) As someone else said though, this situation is hardly a convincing pro-gun argument.

Actually you said:

If you plug it into a regression with the overall murder rate between Japan and the US you will still find a significantly lower rate of gun deaths.

Right. So when you account for differing murder rates, the gun death rate per murder is still lower. What's the problem?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
So a guy was bent on murdering people and a ccw would've stopped him? Perhaps, but just think of all those mistakes that were avoided with no guns in the first place.

The point is criminals will be criminals.

BTW, I was in Japan until Sunday and it is a very safe country. The kids walk/bike to/from school, they still have COD (cash on delivery), cash is the main form of financial transaction, etc... The only thing that was odd was how some trains had a 'ladies only' car because of so many perverts.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

What's your point comparing apples and oranges?

Little dinky island Vs huge continent.

Hmmmmm

How is that apples and oranges? The entire purpose of having rates in incidents per 100,000 is to compensate for disparities in the size of populations. Are you saying that if people live on more acres of land they are more likely to murder someone?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

What's your point comparing apples and oranges?

Little dinky island Vs huge continent.

Hmmmmm

How is that apples and oranges? The entire purpose of having rates in incidents per 100,000 is to compensate for disparities in the size of populations. Are you saying that if people live on more acres of land they are more likely to murder someone?

I didn't realize the US was a continent.

In other news, the first world technologically advanced nation of Japan is actually a series of islands with a population just shy of half the total US, with a population density placing it 30th in the world compared to the US at 180. "Little dinky" it aint.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Dude, let's get something straight, in Japan you can buy *used* woman's underwear from vending machines......

and some people want to give them CCW's?

Please.

railer

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2000
Japan is every bit as "free" as the US - and as an added bonus you're astronomically less likely to be gunned down by some loon if you live there.

Sounds like a win-win to me.....but then I'm not a gun-kook, so.....

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: railer
Japan is every bit as "free" as the US - and as an added bonus you're astronomically less likely to be gunned down by some loon if you live there.

Sounds like a win-win to me.....but then I'm not a gun-kook, so.....

I agree.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: RichardE

They also live in a more or less police state. Another awesome trade off of no guns. Either way, my point in the OP still stands.

Which was? That they need CCWs in Japan to stop knife, fork, and spoon attacks?

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
But, what about their high speed internet!

Isn't it illegal to own any weapon of any type in japan because of WW2? At very least, that is where it started.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Lets look at the murder rates over the last 100 years. Once you add in the 20 million Chinese killed by Japan during WW2, it's Japan that's a more violent country.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Lets look at the murder rates over the last 100 years. Once you add in the 20 million Chinese killed by Japan during WW2, it's Japan that's a more violent country.

Would you choose where you live today based upon its crime statistics from the 1930s?

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: NeoV
"Your leaving out an important fact... Japan happens to be one of the most homogeneous nations in the world. It has been proven when you have people from many different cultural, ethnic, and, religious backgrounds it causes social tensions and violence."

If that makes you feel better about the obscene rate of gun violence here in the US, then so be it....but it's a sorry excuse. Unless I'm imagining things, I believe I've read that the majority of gun crimes here in the US are by people that know the victim - so there goes your 'homogeneous mix' theory.

What if this guy had an automatic weapon, and ended up killing 20-30 people? Would you still be using the same lame justification for CCW?

Of course - that was the argument in a previous thread. In fact, the more terrible the tragedy, the louder the arguments for an armed populace get. If only the student body at Virginia Tech had been armed - what a safer place that campus would be!!

SigArms08

Apr 16, 2008
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Japan is gun free because of their culture. We had to order their police to carry firearms after WWII. Which helps contribute to the very low gun crime rate. It isn't about the laws. Its about the cultures

Such laws are working wonders in Washington D.C.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
Originally posted by: NeoV

Of course - that was the argument in a previous thread. In fact, the more terrible the tragedy, the louder the arguments for an armed populace get. If only the student body at Virginia Tech had been armed - what a safer place that campus would be!!

We're working on it. :cool:

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JD50
Gun deaths per 100,000 in Japan in 2007 = 0.7
Gun deaths per 100,000 in the US in 2007 = 7.07
Living in a free society = Priceless

Fixed

Yet the pro-Iraq War folks like you were pointing to post war Japan as a symbol of freedom and democracy and what you thought Iraq should turn out. BUWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!