Info [Toms, Anand] AMD EPYC Benchmarks

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
I think the crux of what the IT guy was saying is that they already have inteI would say that ever since last year with the security issues intel has been hit with, and AMD offering somewhat competitive parts a lot of IT firms have probably started looking closer at Epic,
Somewhat Competitive? Really?

Reactions: Gikaseixas

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Yes, I have to agree. AMD has the performance crown in the server area, and its not even debateable. The price/perf of Rome VASTLY outshines Intel. And Intel has no upgrades in the foreseeable future. 400 watt CPU's ? Really, in a server space that is unacceptable.

I was being very sarcastic as that "Somewhat competitive" statement was absurd, Epyc OG was more than competitive and Epyc Rome is Curbstomping Xeons so bad it's actually pitiful.

Reactions: scannall and Markfw

joesiv

Mar 21, 2019
I was being very sarcastic as that "Somewhat competitive" statement was absurd, Epyc OG was more than competitive and Epyc Rome is Curbstomping Xeons so bad it's actually pitiful.
I don't remember all the benchmarks, but as far as I remembered the origional Epyc offered great performance per dollar, but benchmarks that relied heavily on single thread performance, AVX or cache latency tended to suffer. So it was a mixed bag.

Rome seems to push the performance in the mid range way in AMD's favor for nearly everything, and Intel has no answer in the higher core counts, at least for sale right now. The 400 watt 56core glued CPU's may bring some parity to some benchmarks, but for heavily multi threaded workloads Epyc likely will still be ahead.

Not sure why we have to be so sensitive about "somewhat competitive" though. Milan had some downsides, though was great to finally have a second option in the x86 server space. Let's not forget that with intel, if you could afford it, you could also go quad core, which was an option for people, software licensing fees be darned, I guess.

I'm sure intel was giving some great discounts for people to skip milan to stay with them.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Not sure why we have to be so sensitive about "somewhat competitive" though. Milan had some downsides, though was great to finally have a second option in the x86 server space.

I'm sure intel was giving some great discounts for people to skip milan to stay with them.
Because Epyc "Naples" was not "Somewhat Competitive", it was Super competitive, and Epyc "Rome" laying waste to current Xeons. Epyc Milan will just aggravate that in 2020.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Because Epyc "Naples" was not "Somewhat Competitive", it was Super competitive, and Epyc "Rome" laying waste to current Xeons. Epyc Milan will just aggravate that in 2020.
Truth....

@joesiv , name one thing, except AVX512 (very niche) that Intel Xeons even come close to Rome on ? Even in AVX512, due to the number of cores, they can still beat Intel, but by a small margin.

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I think the crux of what the IT guy was saying is that they already have intel, they know intel, flaws and all. They've vetted Intel's products for decades, they know their software stack works on it, and if it doesn't, it's a known quanity, and they have workarounds to make it work with their business. To throw that away and start with a new hardware vender takes time, a lot of time. more than months, years. They need to ensure the hardware is rock solid, and actually has compatibility with their software stack, and meets expectations in terms of performance and reliability.

Most IT departments should have been able to vet AMD's hardware during the EPYC launch for problems of compatibility with their software stack. The big cloud guys are already using Rome. No reason for foot-dragging now.

joesiv

Mar 21, 2019
Truth....

@joesiv , name one thing, except AVX512 (very niche) that Intel Xeons even come close to Rome on ? Even in AVX512, due to the number of cores, they can still beat Intel, but by a small margin.
Ok, I'll back off on the "somewhat" word, they were very competitive. Funny actually, because I'm a big AMD fan, lol.

Here's a benchmark by the way for AVX512:
https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7501-benchmarks-and-review-32-cores-per-socket/2/
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7502-7742&num=4

The AVX 512, niche, but it was a bit slower.

encoding in some cases were a bit behind intel
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7502-7742&num=4

libjpg, pybench, phpbench and mariadb a bit behind
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-7502-7742&num=6

But you guys are right, naples was quite good. I was just trying to explain that performance isn't everything for installations that are already entrenched in intel. Its easier (and easy is good when you're managing more than one site/company), to just go with the flow, buy more capacity of something that you know will work, than to add the headache of changing everything to save a few pennies, which you're not paying for yourself anyways (you're billing the companies).

Last edited:

joesiv

Mar 21, 2019
Most IT departments should have been able to vet AMD's hardware during the EPYC launch for problems of compatibility with their software stack. The big cloud guys are already using Rome. No reason for foot-dragging now.
Well, big cloud guys aren't diving right in, they're adding instances of Epyc, in otherwords, they're adding new SKU's to sit side by side with their other Intel instances. That's actually a very safe, and easy road to go. They don't have to fully commit, they throw some cloud instances for rent, and see if people go for them. They'll fill out future racks with whatever the end user tends to rent out. The cloud model is very easy to scale out this way.

A classic IT infrastructure is different in some ways, I could see new sites be brought up with Epyc, but old ones, they'll just keep adding capacity with whatever is fully compatible with what they already have on site. Makes sense to me, not sure why some can't see that. It's easier to have one method of deploy, than to support two in one site.

Reactions: Zucker2k

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
looking at those benches at different sites, this is the moment AMD needs to use

demolition squad by AMD in the benches, the xeon is a non existing product now

everything is better- 8mem channels, price, performance

I would definitely not compare it to opteron times. I remember p4 xeon with 400MHz shared FSB between 4 CPUs (so 100MHz for 1) against hypertransport opterons with better latency, performance, power, everything without a chance to compete until the c2d came out..

now Intel will relatively soon release the 2x28C xeon in a package (hello glue), which wont be competitive in power or price, but performance wise yes

AMD needs to seize this moment

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
now Intel will relatively soon release the 2x28C xeon in a package (hello glue), which wont be competitive in power or price, but performance wise yes

I'm not even sure of it being a performance hit - whats the memory topology going to be?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Guess I am the first here to be the guinea pig as I just snatched up a brand new Epyc Rome 7302p 16c/32t cpu.
Was just browsing through newegg and found it on sale for $465 which is less then even a 2950x.
For that price I could not let it just slip away so I got it.
Looks like since my purchase the price has gone up $3 or $4 bucks LOL.

Anyways I still need to get a motherboard but doesnt look like any of the one out have the Pci-e 4.0 yet and only Pci-e 3.0.
Any one know when the new mobo's are due to release??
Also what CPU cooler should I get??
Noctua U14s SP3 maybe??

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Guess I am the first here to be the guinea pig as I just snatched up a brand new Epyc Rome 7302p 16c/32t cpu.
Was just browsing through newegg and found it on sale for $465 which is less then even a 2950x.
For that price I could not let it just slip away so I got it.
Looks like since my purchase the price has gone up $3 or $4 bucks LOL.

Anyways I still need to get a motherboard but doesnt look like any of the one out have the Pci-e 4.0 yet and only Pci-e 3.0.
Any one know when the new mobo's are due to release??
Also what CPU cooler should I get??
Noctua U14s SP3 maybe??
Not sure the exact number on the Noctura, but yes, I have 5 of them on threadrippers. One is even on a 2970wx 24 core, but with 2 fans, and it works great.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Pretty sure this is the same exact air cooler I just had for my 2950x before I sold it for upgrade funds for the 3950x.
Welp here we go again, I went ahead and clicked the purchase button so no going back this time.
Just having a hell of a time trying to find a new board that will support the 7002 family of cpu's.
There are supposed to be new mobo's releasing with pci-e 4.0 slots but I cant find a single one yet..!!

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Do I absolutely have to have server memory or can I use standard desktop memory with the Epyc motherboards?

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
What is some good ECC memory that wont break the bank?
Already spent $500 for the CPU, $100 for the Cooler and its gonna be like another $500-$600 for a motherboard.
only want to spend about $200-$300 on Ram if I can get it that low, maybe $400 tops.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Do I absolutely have to have server memory or can I use standard desktop memory with the Epyc motherboards?
I think ECC registered. 8 of these would give you 64 gig of ram for $480. Not bad 2933 speed. The only 3200 I could find were 16 gig sticks.

Here:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What is some good ECC memory that wont break the bank?
Already spent $500 for the CPU, $100 for the Cooler and its gonna be like another $500-$600 for a motherboard.
only want to spend about $200-$300 on Ram if I can get it that low, maybe $400 tops.

whut? I have 72GB on my ancient dual xeon L5640 which amounts to 12 cores/24 threads. cores need memory.

these are 100 per stick

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Maybe I should get 4 sticks of the Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200 ECC for $100 each and I could always get more later on, or will I have issues running only 4 sticks?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Maybe I should get 4 sticks of the Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200 ECC for $100 each and I could always get more later on, or will I have issues running only 4 sticks?
You are much better off with 8 channels. You could go 2666 if money is that much of a problem. 8 x 2666 > 4 x 3200