[Tom's] AMD jumping on Andriod bandwagon.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kuzi

Sep 16, 2007
That said, regardless the logistics of the arguments for the case that AMD could or should head into ARM marketspace I just don't see their bottom-line in accounting as being healthy enough to support a further dilution in their already thin R&D budget.

Every dollar that goes to an ARM initiative is a dollar that is not going towards their next-gen x86 CPU development or next-gen GPU development.

Well said IDC.

My thinking is that at 28nm, Zacate/Ontario would be a formidable force in the Netbook/Tablet space. I'm sure AMD are working as fast as possible to release new Bobcat-based APUs on the smaller 28nm process. Hopefully TSMC would do better this time than they did with their 40nm process.

I think even near future (2012) ARM based SOCs would not be able to match the CPU/GPU performance of Zacate, although power efficiency would likely be better. But I believe the gap will be getting smaller since higher clocked ARM based dual-core SOCs are getting released now and quad-cores by the next year or two.