Tomorrow is not given: Odds of being killed by falling tree while in moving car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
As I mentioned in the xmas thread, my brother in law was shot and killed on Xmas Eve, so you are definitely right - tomorrow is not a given.

Enjoy your loved ones while you can. Life can change drastically at any moment in an instant.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not with that attitude/speak for yourself!

2fz017.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
As I mentioned in the xmas thread, my brother in law was shot and killed on Xmas Eve, so you are definitely right - tomorrow is not a given.

Enjoy your loved ones while you can. Life can change drastically at any moment in an instant.
wait.. what?! :eek:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Those big trees slice through houses too. This poor woman was on the second floor and was found on the first floor.
https://www.q13fox.com/news/families-grieving-teen-after-tree-falls-crushing-her-inside-her-home

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-on-their-car-near-issaquah-in-sundays-storm/

That one last year was just horrific. It is laid about as flat as could be.
170320.jpg

We had a tragic one several years back, just a couple of miles from the house. They had logged away for construction and left this strip of tall spindly trees. One of them was rotten and not much of a breeze blew it down on a passing minivan, killing both parents in the front seat and sparing the lives of the two kids in the back seat.
My neighbor had a couple of widowmakers on his property, both dead and one leaning on the other. It drove me nuts so I brought home the big excavator and laid them down for firewood. It took longer to load/unload than it did to do the work.
We have tall close trees and I will be happy to move away from here. I love them but damn, when it gets windy.
IMG-20190209-123900.jpg

I had a cottonwood climbed and dropped that was too close to the power lines out back.

My neighbor let those abominable weeds grow way too tall, and threaten his house, power lines and the other neighbor's shop. I called the rental place and got a 45' boom lift ( I wanted a 65' ) and we pieced it down or dropped them whole where we could. Those trees are heavy, fast growing, and prone to rot. They grow up fast to hazard size.
We all got together and took them down or topped them, depending on the issues.
PXL_20201024_195702025.jpg
I took off the walk gate and sent this one through.
PXL_20201024_213027817.jpg

Roped them down whole were we could.

PXL_20201024_231427095.jpg
it had grown around the guy wire for the power pole. That little slice will hang there.

PXL_20201024_213018914.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Scary stuff. Some of the trees down south and in warm areas in general tend to get huge. Like I can't imagine what storms in BC are like, rarely hear of any major ones but with trees big enough to make a car tunnel through I imagine it's not pretty when those ones fall.

The ones here are not too bad to deal with, this was one that went across the road that I cleared up. Mostly just the end of the tree mind you.

Now that I have a wood stove, I would harvest the whole tree and keep it for firewood. Chances are I will have enough firewood every year just from taking care of downed trees. I will want to avoid green wood as much as possible. The ice storm trees are going to be a jackpot. Trees have less sap in them in winter, so they will season faster.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
For green wood, I'd consider 1yr to be the minimum acceptable seasoning time. You can go younger, but it'll usually be suboptimal. Cut wood this winter for heating next winter. Open sides, top covered for storage. Collect from the ground first. Leave some standing dead as an emergency supply. Good for critters too.

Reactions: skyking

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh yeah I would give at least 1 year. Split it small too so it dries faster. Our summers are short so I'd get maybe 3 months of good seasoning if I get it right in spring. There's too much snow to go out now but as soon as the snow melts next year I will go start harvesting asap. At some point I want to equip myself so I can go year round but no sense in doing that until I have an actual cabin there.

I have a feeling I won't get my wood stove ready before spring anyway. It's kind of a write off for this year. The chimney installer is too busy and myself I am always working so never really have time to work on it. Still need to install the cement board, tiles, heat shields etc on the inside and just never have the time. If I can't get anyone to install it I will probably end up just tackling it myself. The part that makes me nervous mostly is cutting the hole through the roof, but the rest won't be that hard.

At some point I want to build a solar kiln on my property too, that would let me season wood faster. I'd put it in to get the worst of the moisture out then let it season after that. I'll want that once I start milling lumber anyway.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
MOST people ARE afraid of death. It's the end of everything, as far as we know. What waits for us on the other side? Are the religious groups right and there's a paradise awaiting our arrival? Will we once again see our loved ones...and favorite pets? Is Hades real? OR, is it just nothing. Lights out, that's all she wrote?

No one knows.

Or, maybe its reincarnation? I'm a practicing Buddhist but lean atheist. And that is just simply because I reject the notion of an afterlife, and reincarnation. It just makes ZERO sense, and until its actually proven that an after life exist, my position on what takes place after this life holds. I get it though. Most people are fine believing that an afterlife exist, because it brings them comfort. When my mother passed away my dad was heartbroken. He believes that he is going to see my mom in heaven. I didn't tell him that he is stupid, or that he is insane. How insensitive and outright cruel.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Or, maybe its reincarnation? I'm a practicing Buddhist but lean atheist. And that is just simply because I reject the notion of an afterlife, and reincarnation. It just makes ZERO sense, and until its actually proven that an after life exist, my position on what takes place after this life holds. I get it though. Most people are fine believing that an afterlife exist, because it brings them comfort. When my mother passed away my dad was heartbroken. He believes that he is going to see my mom in heaven. I didn't tell him that he is stupid, or that he is insane. How insensitive and outright cruel.

Then how are you a practicing Buddhist? Buddhism's central tennet is to achieve enlightenment and escape samsara.