Tomb Raider Kaleidoscope

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
No,
and it happened to me in the same spot as that video.
It also happened later on some stairs. It was wierd because you could actually walk back to the spot, and make it happen again.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
^If every other game is fine, it sounds like the game and/or any driver tweaks not playing nice on that game. Have you tried a different set of drivers?

If it doesn't cost you much to RMA it, you could do that as well.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
When I had over-overclocked VRAM a long time ago, it didn't look like that, it had little patches and squares.
Don't know if actual bad VRAM would do the same as errors due to OC would.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Are you just looking for another reason to RMA again?

If it doesn't work in this one situation... chances are it's just that one situation.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I really would rather not RMA since this card runs very quiet.
But also don't want to find out I have bad Vram either.
Most other games run just fine.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
have you trued turning off tessellation? I get something similar at times and a quit to desktop and restart of the game fixes it. Tessellation off and it never happens.

Note: What I have seen is never that bad.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Someone said in the comments of that video that turning off of exclusive full screen worked.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
Apparently this is a tesselation issue.
The question is.. is it due to a faulty card. People are able to turn off Tess and not have the issue appear.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I'll try and see if I can get it to happen.
You know.. I am not looking for problems. I am feeling really unlucky right now.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Tomb Raider is a mess on nvidia cards. I'm crashing to desktop every 10 mins or so. Still a fun game though.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I never crashed but I did have the tessellation issue. Restarting the game would often times fix it.

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I have runs some test on my card, memtestG0 and OCCT as well as Kombuster, heaven. I have no issues. So it is just a driver thingy.
Too bad, Nvidias drivers are batting zero for me right now.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I have runs some test on my card, memtestG0 and OCCT as well as Kombuster, heaven. I have no issues. So it is just a driver thingy.
Too bad, Nvidias drivers are batting zero for me right now.

It's game + driver really.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Just turn off exclusive fullscreen access and you should be fine. Happened to me to at different points in the game until I turned it off.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Had this happen on my GTX 660 Ti a few times, in completely random spots. Never saw it on my GTX 560 Ti though so I'm guessing it could be TressFx or some other settings that's higher than what I was able to use with the 560.

In any case I haven't seen it in any other game (nor any other graphics anomalies) so I'd say it's either crappy drivers or buggy game, possibly both.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Not my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wne75Vjcdl8

I can walk through it and graphics come back.
Some users say it is a game bug.
Eidos says it is likely an Nvidia bug.
Nvidia says it looks like defective Vram.

Sigh... anyone?

What you (and the others) do is simply guessing....problem...it won't get you anywhere.

It could be heat issues, it could be defective memory, it could be too high a OC.

You need to find out WHAT EXACTLY it is by running appropriate tools.

See: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2314733

I see you already did some tests. Anyway, make sure to have Kombustor with 4xAA running as well, test 1.2GB of your mem, try 1000 iterations.

Also, then run Kombustor (or Heaven 4.0) for at least 20mins what's your temps?

Edit:

LOL@people who always scream "RMA!" without even knowing what's going on.

I run TR here with TressFX, Tess, 2xAA and did not see this, although I had an issue running Bioshock Inf. with +600 memory, but then I found out that +600 on my memory is too high.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
trust me...I had something similar, it didn't look that bad though. It was a tessellation bug between tomb raider and nvidia drivers. Usually restarting the game fixed it. Turning off tessellation fixed it 100% of the time. Cards are fine.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Just turn off exclusive fullscreen access and you should be fine. Happened to me to at different points in the game until I turned it off.
I turned that off when the game would not load after install,[ per the net]

-once the game was running I always had uneven sli gpu loads like 90%+65%

-reloaded drivers and all sorts of tricks\settings still the same [now 60% into game] then I read that it must be checked for sli , so I rechecked it and bang 99%+99%. what a waste of time and I still don't know what that option does.

-thought I'd mention what happen to my system with it off.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I turned that off when the game would not load after install,[ per the net]

-once the game was running I always had uneven sli gpu loads like 90%+65%

-reloaded drivers and all sorts of tricks\settings still the same [now 60% into game] then I read that it must be checked for sli , so I rechecked it and bang 99%+99%. what a waste of time and I still don't know what that option does.

-thought I'd mention what happen to my system with it off.

I'm surprised it actually caused you any problems, since I think turning it off is really just a borderless windowed mode. Turning if on would be like a traditional fullscreen mode. I dont run SLI, but I do have a 460 dedicated to physx. It definitely fixed the issues I was seeing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFEk3YQ5jx0

Probably some edge case related to SLI, especially considering you said the game wouldnt load with it enabled.