Tomb Raider (2013)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I found it odd that some people were getting crashes at all on nVidia hardware. I was running the latest beta drivers at release and had Tessellation turned on with full-screen exclusive, and I never crashed. Who knows? :hmm:

Same, I had everything maxed out and TressFX on and it ran fine. What is odd though when the game got a patch my performance went down, I couldn't run it maxed anymore with TressFX, it became a slideshow then. Thankfully by the time that patch came I was on the very last section so it wasn't such a big deal.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I'm guessing there's something bad with your install! I'm 30 hours in, at the second run, I've had like three crashes all this time, 2500k with 670.

I dont think so. It was fine until a certain point in the game. I was researching it, and for some the latest patches added stability and performance. But then for others, it added instability and they needed to rollback. I didn't play before they beta drivers so I don't know if they made things worse. No crashes during Crysis 3.

I can't believe people aren't rating this game higher. Maybe they're just jaded? Or I haven't played enough stuff in the last several years? This is one of the best games I've ever played. It has a few minor annoyances, mostly with QTE, but they don't detract from the overall package.

I enjoyed myself immensely. I really felt like Lara was quite real and I was helping her, not controlling her. The graphics were incredible, the action was essentially non-stop. I loved it.

"Get the hell out of my way!"

Well, to be honest, much of this I've already experienced in 3 Uncharted games. To me, this Tomb Raider isn't as good, but that still doesnt mean it isn't a good game. I think if they went away from the survivor thing and just had a cocky young Lara, it wouldnt have been so cheesy. I didn't see myself as a white knight saving Lara...I saw myself as a young hot british chick kicking people's asses! So the melodrama took away from that experience. :biggrin:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Lara yelling "You can't stop me!" or "That's right, run you bastards, I'm coming for you all!" in the latter parts of the game were really epic moments :D Simple thing but really made Lara so badass!!

The banter between the different Solarii were pretty great too.
"She just won't die!"
"Oh shit! She's got a machine gun!"

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
The banter between the different Solarii were pretty great too.
"She just won't die!"
"Oh shit! She's got a machine gun!"

Yea, it reminded me of some tough mofo in a huge power armor laughing at anything in the way and just literally annihilating everything in the path :awe: Sure, Lara died quite fast if directly shot at, but the enemies scrambling and running like pussies was totally epic :D

I will remember this experience for a long time and I think that is the best thing about the game - it will stay with you for quite a while after you're done with it, as it managed to invoke real emotions when playing it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'm looking forward to some real DLC for this game, I must admit. Not sure if I'll buy any of it, but I'll definitely be watching for it.

Anyone notice while looking on Youtube for videos of epic moments that everyone seems to be running on the console versions or have TressFX off? I'm looking for visual feasts of epic moments. Also, the console visuals are a major step down from what I'm seeing on my PC.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm looking forward to some real DLC for this game, I must admit. Not sure if I'll buy any of it, but I'll definitely be watching for it.

Anyone notice while looking on Youtube for videos of epic moments that everyone seems to be running on the console versions or have TressFX off? I'm looking for visual feasts of epic moments. Also, the console visuals are a major step down from what I'm seeing on my PC.

They said all the DLC is for multiplayer :(

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
They said all the DLC is for multiplayer :(

Totally fine by me. Since I've completed the singleplayer, I know I've had the complete experience. DLC nonsense is only for multiplayer, which is good, because I don't care about the multiplayer at all.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Overall amazing game. The QTE's got annoying at times, and the random camera switches during important fast moving events.

Collected everything except a few weapon modifications and got 98% complete. TIme to uninstall and wait for the next one. I'm glad I chose this over Crysis 3 especially because you can get crysis 3 for $30 bucks already lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well, to be honest, much of this I've already experienced in 3 Uncharted games. To me, this Tomb Raider isn't as good, but that still doesnt mean it isn't a good game. I think if they went away from the survivor thing and just had a cocky young Lara, it wouldnt have been so cheesy. I didn't see myself as a white knight saving Lara...I saw myself as a young hot british chick kicking people's asses! So the melodrama took away from that experience. :biggrin:

i personally think that tomb raider made uncharted look like childs play. it did everything uncharted does but did it much better.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
i personally think that tomb raider made uncharted look like childs play. it did everything uncharted does but did it much better.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on this? Considering the last Uncharted game out almost two years ago, I would expect some incremental improvements. I don't really see anything truly innovative that I haven't already seen in Uncharted or other games. Unless you are talking about the upgrade system. Which is low rent compared to other games.

There are still levels in Uncharted 2 and 3 that Tomb Raider can't touch, like the collapsing office level and train in Uncharted 2, or the airplane in 3.

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I never played uncharted 3 yet, but uncharted 2 was better than Tomb Raider if you ask me.

That's not even a slight to tom raider because I consider Uncharted 2 to be one of the best games I have played in the last few years.

Necc

Feb 15, 2011
As much as I enjoyed tomb raider (probably GOTY for me) it can't touch uncharted 2, tomb raider characters are flat compared to uncharted 2 characters. Iwould say that Tomb raider is better then the 1st uncharted and an equal to the 3rd one(probably because ididn't get enough chloe time :D).

Last edited:

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I'll be honest, while it's a very, very good game, it wouldn't be the best game I've ever played. It's got great interactivity and great story, but it's more like an interactive movie than it is a game... the puzzles are ridiculously short, and the gameplay is kind of watered down. I could probably get through most of the fights with just the basic arrow and basic pistol (on normal). It's very good... and one of the better games I've played in a while. But I still wouldn't call it a best just yet. Then again, take it with a grain of salt, I'm still at the beach part.

FWIW, while the story isn't as good and the characters are nowhere near as memorable, most of the AC2 games had much better puzzles.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'll be honest, while it's a very, very good game, it wouldn't be the best game I've ever played. It's got great interactivity and great story, but it's more like an interactive movie than it is a game... the puzzles are ridiculously short, and the gameplay is kind of watered down. I could probably get through most of the fights with just the basic arrow and basic pistol (on normal). It's very good... and one of the better games I've played in a while. But I still wouldn't call it a best just yet. Then again, take it with a grain of salt, I'm still at the beach part.

FWIW, while the story isn't as good and the characters are nowhere near as memorable, most of the AC2 games had much better puzzles.

Shorter puzzles are better, long drawn out jumping puzzles just piss people off.

I've made it to the just rescuing the Endurance crew in the geothermal caverns, and I've been using the bow and pistol most of the way. Its only in ambush situations where there's several islanders attacking me at once that I need something with a faster rate of fire.

Edit - This style of game is making me to want to try out the Uncharted titles though.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Shorter puzzles are better, long drawn out jumping puzzles just piss people off.

I've made it to the just rescuing the Endurance crew in the geothermal caverns, and I've been using the bow and pistol most of the way. Its only in ambush situations where there's several islanders attacking me at once that I need something with a faster rate of fire.

Once you get the dodge down, as well as put some kill points into counters, even the close quarter ambushes can be dealt with using the bow.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Uncharted 2 is the best game of this generation IMO. Tomb Raider cannot touch it.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Edit - This style of game is making me to want to try out the Uncharted titles though.

Uncharted (especially 2) is fantastic. Play it. Same game with a more Indiana Jones style and way better puzzles. Supporting characters are also way better in Uncharted.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Once you get the dodge down, as well as put some kill points into counters, even the close quarter ambushes can be dealt with using the bow.

I've points in those, and I've stabbed knees with arrows. :p Its usually just easier to pop them with the shotgun or spray with the assault rifle though.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I enjoyed Indiana Jones on the n64. I think uncharted games are great. I still have to finish number 3. I own 2 and 1 but let my family borrow them. I will probably buy the 3 disc set when I have time to replay all of them. Currently I borrowed uncharted 3 from my brother as he didn't get in to it. I'd say tomb raider is not so much like uncharted, both are unique in their own way.

axium

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah, I agree with the uncharted camp.

I've played and passed all of the tomb raiders except guardian of light. I've done the same with uncharted 1,2 and 3.

I'm confident in saying that Uncharted is a much better "tomb raider" than tomb raider ever was.

The story, exploration, adventure and general gameplay mechanics of uncharted and much more pleasant.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I've points in those, and I've stabbed knees with arrows. :p Its usually just easier to pop them with the shotgun or spray with the assault rifle though.

There are fatal counters as well. I think with the bow you stab someone in the head with an arrow. Unfortunately, I always mistime them, so I end up dancing around guys for awhile until I get it right. Sometimes I switch to a shotgun just to get it over with. hahahaha

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Yeah, I agree with the uncharted camp.

I've played and passed all of the tomb raiders except guardian of light. I've done the same with uncharted 1,2 and 3.

I'm confident in saying that Uncharted is a much better "tomb raider" than tomb raider ever was.

The story, exploration, adventure and general gameplay mechanics of uncharted and much more pleasant.

When I'm done with TR, I'll take a look at the Uncharted titles. Where should I start, I see several editions of each on Amazon?

Keep in mind too, Tomb Raider is 20 years older than Uncharted. Give corporate two decades to run that franchise into the ground, and it'll be in the same boat. :p

axium

Mar 6, 2013
^ I've only played the first editions of each Uncharted. I would say just pick whatever is the latest edition because it probably includes all the dlc. Play them in release order as they go chronologically.