Together, shoulder to shoulder, we shall prevail !

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I need to do more reading on President Sarkozy, but from what I've read about him I like the guy. He seems to be proposing the fiscal solutions that will genuinely help France, and is steering the country away from being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. Welcome back France!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: Narmer
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Me ? no aphorisms or subtle messages needed here, I wasn't born in 1940.

If you mean the incompetent government back then and not "me" (as in *all* French people), then I will agree, agree that they didn't do much in their power to help the cause that the rest of the non-Axis powers were fighting for. But go back in time and go tell that in person to Marshal Pétin instead and the Vichy "government" instead. Those were the traitors, and thanks to his old age, Marshal Pétin escaped the death penalty for High Treason. And go back in time and ask the Free French Forces what their thought of their country and their rulers back then ...

No need to let me know the French back in the '40's weren't "part of the world" except for their oh so mighty military that served no other purposes but to drain the economic resources of the nation (the Maginot Line's cost to the nation had to be paid up until the '60's, if I'm not wrong). No need for anything like such a dark moment in our history to repeat itself.

I lived and worked in France for a number of years, was married to French women.

I think the French take a bit to much critism for events in WWII.

Every French family I ever met had a member who part of the resistance and most were killed for it. The French people themselves did demonstrate courage.

The gov should recieve some credit for avoiding the destruction of Paris, something I didn't understand until I lived in the city for about 6 years.

But more to current events, it's nice to see the "thaw" between our governments; our are natural allies. I even heard that GWB spoke French to Sarkozy. That might sound inconsequential to some, but I think otherwise.

Fern

Of course they were;). France is a beautiful country. I'd like to live there one day.

I agree. My trips there have always left me impressed by their access to fully automatic weapons. :thumbsup: They definitely have some of the most sensible (minimalist) gun control in Europe.

only a 'gun nut' would go to france and only come away with being impressed only by the gun laws (or lack thereof) ;)

I was also impressed by the food, and the language, and their overall friendliness. I just made special note of the gun culture because it's rare to find it so alive and well outside the United States. Canada and England have had their gun cultures neutered, but France, a country that knows how to violently overthrow an unjust government, still values their right to keep and bear arms. :thumbsup:

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Thats pretty surprising, I thought France, like the rest of European nations aside from Switzerland, had extremely strict gun control to the point of near total bans.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
Thats pretty surprising, I thought France, like the rest of European nations aside from Switzerland, had extremely strict gun control to the point of near total bans.

Nah, France, Finland, Switzerland and a bunch of eastern european countries have pretty lax gun control.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: QuantumPion

Nah, France, Finland, Switzerland and a bunch of eastern european countries have pretty lax gun control.

According to the articles about the recent Finland school shooting, Finland has the 3rd largest amount of gun owners per capita in the world.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Oh! how cute! Bush got a new puppy. A French Poodle at that!
How exciting for him, it must be like Christmas Morning.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

:laugh:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Narmer
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

:laugh:

Not nearly as fearsome as our English Bulldog.