Toddler’s Public Potty Break Gets $2,500 Ticket, Then an Apology

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A-hole cop :thumbsdown:

National outrage over a $2,500 fine for public urination by a 3-year-old has ended with an apology.

The incident began last Sunday in the now ironically-named town of Piedmont, Okla., north of Oklahoma City. Jennifer Warden and her daughter, 21-year-old Ashley Warden, were approached by a local police officer who had been perched at the end of their quiet cul-de-sac of homes.

“He came over and said, ‘Give me your ID,’” Jennifer Warden said of the officer, later identified as Officer Ken Qualls. “I just stood there a minute, and then I asked him why did he need my ID and he said, ‘Public urination.’”

Qualls was looking in the direction of Ashley Warden’s 3-year-old son, Dillon, who had pulled his pants down at the end of their home’s driveway to relieve himself. When the officer realized it was, in fact, Ashley’s son, he ordered her inside to get her photo ID.

When Ashley Warden, who was unavailable for comment today due to her work schedule, came back outside, Qualls issued her a $2,500 ticket for her son’s public urination.

“‘It doesn’t matter because it’s public urination and in public view,’” Warden said Qualls responded when the mother and daughter protested that Dillon was just a toddler and that he was on their two-and-a-half acres of private property, where they’ve lived for eight years.

“First, we couldn’t believe that it was a ticket at all and then we couldn’t believe it was that much,” she said.

The next day, Jennifer and Ashley Warden went to the Piedmont Police Department to lodge a complaint about both the ticket and the officer, who had told the family he was sitting in his cruiser in their neighborhood “because it’s a public road,” Warden said.

The Warden’s story was first reported by local news outlets and then picked up by the national press where it sparked outrage online.

“We’ve stayed mainly in the house but we’ve been online reading the thousands of comments,” Warden said. “The outrage is not just the fact that it’s a 3-year-old but many people see it as just an abuse of power, the officer was just writing a ticket because he could instead of handling it in a better way.”

After filing an official complaint against the officer and the ticket, both mother and daughter were interviewed by police and told that officers were monitoring their neighborhood in response to nuisance calls in the area.

By Tuesday, just two days after the incident, the Wardens were visited by police at their home again, but this time with an apology.

“Yesterday the police chief [Piedmont Police Chief Alex Oblein] stopped by and apologized and said that they were dropping the charges,” Warden said today. “We told him we appreciated him coming and for all his help. He didn’t have to come by the house. That was nice of him to do that.”

Neither the chief nor Officer Qualls responded to ABC News’ request for comment. Warden said Oblein told the family his 10-police officer strong department has opened an investigation into how the incident was handled.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with him [Qualls] and I don’t know if he’s going to retaliate in some way,” Warden said. “I would think not because the story has been so public but I kind of worry that it makes the police department look bad and they know all the vehicles we drive and where we live.”

“But we’ve had such an outpouring of support that it’s probably not necessary to worry about,” she said. “All the other officers that we’ve spoken to or had interactions with have been very nice and courteous.”

piss-on-the-police-state1-1024x678.jpg

Jun 19, 2004
I never had a problem with my kid urinating in public when he was that age. Then again, I didn't leave him unattended near a neighborhood street when he was 3 years old either.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Apparently common sense isn't a prerequisite to get a badge anymore?

Federalization of the police force, as a requirement of their funding, guts their capacity to make such personal decisions. A choice to allow the law to be broken is a crime that risks them their job, their future, and shames the department in the eyes of the Feds.

You just can't take the risk when big brother is watching.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I saw this the other day, $2500 is just an insane amount even if it is an adult.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I never had a problem with my kid urinating in public when he was that age. Then again, I didn't leave him unattended near a neighborhood street when he was 3 years old either.

What 3 year old kid hasn't taken a leak outside before? Hell, I know all of my kids have - with and without my permission.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Animals pee outside. If you don't have indoor plumbing, use the outhouse.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Meh, cops are just glorified tax collectors these days, because their municipalities are broke. Expect more of this.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002

It was, however, a cul-de-sac, so it's not as though they had any through traffic, nor likely that the speed limit is very high.

Hey, at least he peed in the street, where it could run down the storm drain! ;)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It was, however, a cul-de-sac, so it's not as though they had any through traffic, nor likely that the speed limit is very high.

Hey, at least he peed in the street, where it could run down the storm drain! ;)

Yup, I live in a cul-de-sac and the kids absolutely LOVE to play out there because there's only traffic coming to five houses.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Federalization of the police force, as a requirement of their funding, guts their capacity to make such personal decisions. A choice to allow the law to be broken is a crime that risks them their job, their future, and shames the department in the eyes of the Feds.

You just can't take the risk when big brother is watching.

If you are referring to the case at hand....I really hope you are being sarcastic....my meter is busted.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
They should search the officer's home computer. It might have interesting results.

"maam, I'm giving your 3 year old son a ticket because I was sexually aroused by him going to the bathroom"

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
You guys let your 3yr olds just run wild and pee outside? Guess my parents just raised me better than most. Hmm. :/