Today, Who Did You Vote For And Why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
EAmish

What that article talks about is part of the problem, it's not exlusive from what I'm talking about. The reason that many say that no 3rd party can win and that voting for them is a waste is because of the winner take all voting system in place. We're seeing it very clearly in this election. That's why I'd be all for Instant Runoff Voting, and also a Binding None of the Above.

Also, the president is not powerless. He has the veto, which while not the final say does require a stronger vote from congress. He's the commander-in-cheif, no small duty. And being in charge of the enforcement branch seems like a pretty powerful position.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah, but he can't really DO anything. He can prevent things from getting done. Unless he has ALOT of support in the congress, he won't be able to get squat done. That's another reason why a 3rd party candidate, if elected, would probably, unfortunately, be ineffectual.

amish

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
BoberFett,

Don't forget the presidential executive order power as overtly demonstrated by Clinton. He also appoints judges and fills cabinet positions. He's also our first olive branch in foreign relations matters. Not a weenie by a long shot.

Ariel

Aug 1, 2000
I'm going to vote in about an hour and I will vote for George W. Bush and Dick Cheney! :) Interesting how no one ever talks about the Vice Presidential canidates...

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I voted for Bush. Until this country stops infanticide, which I consider even MORE evil than the holocaust, I won't look to other political issues as having any importance. Since Gore is all for the slaughter of the innocent, I chose Bush.

Joe

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Executive Order is almost like the presidents own personal set of laws, and nobody has any power to stop it. A bit scary if you ask me.

Feisters

Oct 9, 1999

<< 1) It really bothers me that Bush did not give any details about how he plans to reform Social Security and said he would not until after he is elected. >>

montanafan, he wants to allow you the option of investing up to 2% of your FICA tax towards a retirement account. What's so complicated about that? Gore wants to use the &quot;surplus&quot; - really a projection from &quot;cooking the books&quot; - which is just government throwing more money at a problem rather than taking real steps to solve it.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Interesting how no one ever talks about the Vice Presidential canidates... >>

Ariel,

The average voter couldn't enumerate any major party's positions on even a few issues. Expecting them to notice or even talk about VP-runners is asking too much. Most can name the presidential candidates and maybe which party they belong to but that's about it. Sad but often true.

Here at AT you'd think we would have discussed Cheney and Censorman more. I believe the faults of Bush/Gore simply made us focus on them. I'd also like to think folks here vote more on platform and issues rather than on the candidates who come and go and are a dime a dozen these days.

ICyourNipple

Oct 9, 2000
The people that voted for Bush or Gore are just in denial. We need drastic change in this country, and Bush unfortunately will not get it done. Keep voting Libertarian in every election you can. It doesn't matter about winning neccessarily, but getting the attention of the media and helping the Libertarians get into debates. If you believe in the &quot;wasted vote&quot; theory, you are incredibly ignorant to how political change happens.

Nov 7, 2000
Harry Browne
Its interesting that 16 percent of the people in the country ideologically classify themselves as Libertarian, but only 4 percent of the people align themeselves with the Libertarians politically. That 16 is higer than both the figures for Conservatives and Liberals. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, do yourself a favor and research it - Libertarian Party. Maybe its not for you, but you should at least understand it before you disagree with it.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Keep voting Libertarian in every election you can. >>

ICyourNipple,

Well within reason. If the guy/gal is a complete loonie he's not getting my vote even if he is a libertarian.

It should be fun to see how the third-parties do after all is said and done!

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bush for same reasons as Netopia and many more.

Personally, I hope that the 'alternative' parties do well.

Amish- What country are you from again?

viz