Onceler

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
It is a shame that this is MLKjr day and it isin't even his birthday
I think they chose this day to have it to piss off all the Southerners

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have no idea why the US doesn't celebrate the birthdays of traitors more often.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I think it is still a state holiday down here. I can see it not being a national holiday though as he fought against the Union forces. However, MLK day should be on a more appropriate day of the year (say, his birthday or some other significant day in his life...such as the jailing in Birmingham, the "I have a dream" speech, etc.)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Onceler

No... this just happened because MLK day is always a Monday. This year apparently Lee's birthday was a Monday. 6 out of 7 years that won't happen.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I think they chose this day to have it to piss off all the ignorant rednecks

fixed

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: alien42

fixed (by an ignorant Yankee)

Wow, you fail. Way to generalize. The North used to do crap like this constantly to piss off the Southern states. "War of the Rebellion" sound familiar? Anyway, I'm not willing to attribute this holiday's placement on the calendar to malice as it doesn't always fall on this particular day. It could, however, have been better place to coincide with a specific event on a specific day of year.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I know, being from the north, that my family has a big picnic every year on Grant's Birthday. Ya know, cause we're from the north

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

How's it working? (HINT: Don't make us come down there again!) :p

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs

No... this just happened because MLK day is always a Monday. This year apparently Lee's birthday was a Monday. 6 out of 7 years that won't happen.

This. And I know for a fact that all Southerners are not as ignorant as you.

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
I had no idea today was Lee's birthday.

Originally posted by: eskimospy
I have no idea why the US doesn't celebrate the birthdays of traitors more often.

I don't either.

Originally posted by: mugs

Furthermore, I don't understand the outrage at the MLK overlap when it only happens once every 7 years, except that the outraged party just hates black people.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

You mean like Washington's Birthday?

Of course now it is "President's Day" but you get the point.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: shinerburke

The winners write history.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

The winners write history.

Now this is a statement that has always been and will always be true.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
It may be easy to simply dismiss Robert E. Lee as a traitor, and while I had no idea Lee's birthday was even in the vicinity of Dr. Martin Luther King day, its still has to be said Robert E. Lee did much to help heal the nation after the civil war. Lee's loyalties rested with his native State of Virginia, had Virgina not succeeded, he had already been offered overall command of the Union army because it obvious to all, that Gen Winfield Scott, the hero of the Mexican war over a generation ago, was too old and unable to ride a horse. As for the rest of the available Northern Generals, not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer, as Lincoln later found out.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

Wow, you fail. Way to generalize. The North used to do crap like this constantly to piss off the Southern states. "War of the Rebellion" sound familiar? Anyway, I'm not willing to attribute this holiday's placement on the calendar to malice as it doesn't always fall on this particular day. It could, however, have been better place to coincide with a specific event on a specific day of year.

i live in the state of Georgia you moron.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Huh? What the hell are you talking about?

The United States obviously would celebrate the birthdays of people who rebelled against other countries to aid the United States. The United States would obviously not celebrate the birthdays of people who rebelled against the United States to its manifest detriment.

How is this anything but a no-brainer?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: MovingTarget

i live in the state of Georgia you moron.

Georgia or not, that generalization about "ignorant rednecks" doesn't really hold, which was my point Besides, I'm sure in light of this I could come up with something equally as facetious considering your location - carpetbagger perhaps? :p

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003

The United States obviously would celebrate the birthdays of people who rebelled against other countries to aid the United States. The United States would obviously not celebrate the birthdays of people who rebelled against the United States to its manifest detriment.

:confused:

Washington was only a traitor to the British. Other than that I don't see how these topics are related. Nobody is claiming that Lee should have a national holiday.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

You didn't specify the qualifications of being traitorous. A traitor to some is a hero to others.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They should celebrate Robert E. Lee day on July 3rd every year.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You didn't specify the qualifications of being traitorous. A traitor to some is a hero to others.

I would have thought that it went without saying, considering the US government obviously takes the US perspective on who is a hero and a traitor.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Secession was not a traitorous act. It was entirely constitutional.

http://www.bonniebluepublishin...LL%20PAGE%20FORMAT.htm

Whether you are legally correct or not, it is most certainly the position of the US government that it was traitorous, and since they are the ones making the holidays... yeah.

Please read that link. It was only traitorous because they wanted the huge tax boon from the south, not because Secession was agreed to be illegal (it wasn't).

"The Southern states did not rush headlong into secession. They had enormous grievances against the North that were much greater than even Northern violations of the Constitution. The unfairness of taxation, which had been the huge issue of the Revolution, was worse for the antebellum South because three-fourths of the taxes were paid by the South, while three-fourths of the tax money was spent in the North.

The North, however, had become wealthy manufacturing, shipping, and financing for the captive Southern market, which was rich itself because of King Cotton. The North could not let the South go without a complete economic collapse that was well underway during the secession winter and spring of 1860-1861. All the noble rhetoric of the Horace Greelys in 1860 about the "just powers" of the government coming from the "consent of the governed" was cast aside due to the specter of economic collapse and financial ruin, thus the war came."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Secession was not a traitorous act. It was entirely constitutional.

http://www.bonniebluepublishin...LL%20PAGE%20FORMAT.htm

Whether you are legally correct or not, it is most certainly the position of the US government that it was traitorous, and since they are the ones making the holidays... yeah.

Please read that link. It was only traitorous because they wanted the huge tax boon from the south, not because Secession was agreed to be illegal (it wasn't).

"The Southern states did not rush headlong into secession. They had enormous grievances against the North that were much greater than even Northern violations of the Constitution. The unfairness of taxation, which had been the huge issue of the Revolution, was worse for the antebellum South because three-fourths of the taxes were paid by the South, while three-fourths of the tax money was spent in the North.

The North, however, had become wealthy manufacturing, shipping, and financing for the captive Southern market, which was rich itself because of King Cotton. The North could not let the South go without a complete economic collapse that was well underway during the secession winter and spring of 1860-1861. All the noble rhetoric of the Horace Greelys in 1860 about the "just powers" of the government coming from the "consent of the governed" was cast aside due to the specter of economic collapse and financial ruin, thus the war came."

I understand and in many ways agree with you. It doesn't change the fact that the US government has already deemed secession illegal. The US Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White that secession is unconstitutional and illegal.