Today, I leave anandtech.

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: mwtgg
Originally posted by: Nik
By itself, of course it's not illegal. My point was that you don't have to be a vet to pronounce death and you don't have to be a vet to administer drugs. That's why, when your favorite kitty or doggie dies, you can choose to dig a hole and dump them in the front yard.

However, combined with the other actions he took, I'd say he crossed the line.

Nik, I generally respect you, but in this case, not a damn chance. The only mistake ArmenK made in this whole affair was posting about it on ATOT so some nitwit with too much time on their hands can get their panties in a bunch and call the police about something which isn't illegal.

Being the coward the snitch was, somehow I doubt he/she will reveal himself/herself.

you're an idiot, why would the snitch matter, what if it was hundreds of readers who contributed to the banning of an idiot? right now what really matters is a bunch an anandtech members talkin' trash about each other, lol...

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: suse920
Originally posted by: HBalzer
Originally posted by: rbrandon
Originally posted by: DurocShark

You need to sit back, take a breath, and read the post again. IT DID NOT DROWN he scooped it out of the pool and it walked off. Focus on the words IT DID NOT DROWN.

Exactly.

As some are fond of repeating, the OP is *not* a vet. So how would he know whether it's dead?

Again, selective reading does you in, either that or a total brainbusting lack of reading comprehension. He gave it the pills. IT WALKED OUT OF THE CAGE. He did not drag it/force it out of the cage. It walked into the pool. IT DID NOT DROWN. He scooped it out of the pool. IT WALKED AWAY ON ITS OWN. Am i missing something? Where does it say that he abused it? Did he stick an m80 up its ass? No. Did he beat it? No. It walked away to die in its sleep. No different from AC coming to give it a shot of phenobabarbitol in its arm, which would have made it DIE IN ITS SLEEP.

If it walked away, the drugs didn't kill it. They may have possibly worn off. How do you know it's dead?

HEY I GOT A GREAT IDEA

Lets go trapping animals, drugging them, releasing them, watching them disoriented and half-dead, then letting them go? Oh wait, that's being cruel and completely unnecessary.

Exactly, and like I said the line was crossed when he abused the skunk for his pleasure. If he felt it was a threat he wouldn?t have let it go. You all saying he can use any means necessary to get rid of the skunk is silly. Then some sick farmer would rape the goat every night and say he was harassing it to get it to leave.

This is a skunk not a cute little bunny that means no harm. If he went around to harassed bunnies because he didnt like them on his property i think that would be crossing the line. He trapped a pest on his property. He correctly realized it was a danger because it could have sprayed or bitten. But this gy was HUMANE so he decided to just drug it and set it free. It may have not been a legal act, but it was humane. Whats the problem with this?

A skunk is not a ferocious T-Rex either. Skunks aren't predatory. Their first defense (yes, defense. They are not offensive creatures) is their spray. Who the fvck is going to be dumb enough to go after the skunk again after being sprayed? Have you ever been near someone who's been sprayed the smell is almost debilitating. It's the most rancid thing I've ever smelled. If you're dumb enough to get sprayed and go back in closer for more, you deserve to be bitten.

If you're going to set it free, why drug it? And if you intended to drug it so that it wouldn't cause a problem while you had it caged, why set it free while still in your yard? Truth is, the OP didn't intend to set it free at all. He intended to kill it and it's very obvious. Fine, kill it. But don't play with it. Don't drug it, let it out, and watch it drown. Just fvcking get it over with.

You're an idiot "and watch it drown"

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: labgeek
A skunk is not a ferocious T-Rex either. Skunks aren't predatory. Their first defense (yes, defense. They are not offensive creatures) is their spray. Who the fvck is going to be dumb enough to go after the skunk again after being sprayed? Have you ever been near someone who's been sprayed the smell is almost debilitating.

Have you ever been near a rabid animal? Their actions don't always follow "normal patterns". And no you can't tell by looking. They'll be fine one minute and nuts the next. One of the weirder things I've ever seen was a squirrel go absolutely "ape sh!t" out of the blue in the quad with students around. It was sitting there one minute, ran up to someone getting out of a car, jumped in, bit them, then ran around terrorizing LOTS of people.

exactly the op was right to be safe rather than sorry. Why would he put himself in any danger?

some people favor danger

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: amoeba
OP got cops called on him. cops did not find anything illegal. Written Law seems to support OP. nobody is questioning whether what OP did is illegal or not except Nik and HBalzer.

this seems like a shut case.

HBalzer, I hope you never become a lawyer.

HBalzer *receives* lawyer papers. He's a lawyer, signed by me. Where should he start?

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: DurocShark

You need to sit back, take a breath, and read the post again. IT DID NOT DROWN he scooped it out of the pool and it walked off. Focus on the words IT DID NOT DROWN.

Exactly.

As some are fond of repeating, the OP is *not* a vet. So how would he know whether it's dead?

Again, selective reading does you in, either that or a total brainbusting lack of reading comprehension. He gave it the pills. IT WALKED OUT OF THE CAGE. He did not drag it/force it out of the cage. It walked into the pool. IT DID NOT DROWN. He scooped it out of the pool. IT WALKED AWAY ON ITS OWN. Am i missing something? Where does it say that he abused it? Did he stick an m80 up its ass? No. Did he beat it? No. It walked away to die in its sleep. No different from AC coming to give it a shot of phenobabarbitol in its arm, which would have made it DIE IN ITS SLEEP.

If it walked away, the drugs didn't kill it. They may have possibly worn off. How do you know it's dead?

HEY I GOT A GREAT IDEA

Lets go trapping animals, drugging them, releasing them, watching them disoriented and half-dead, then letting them go? Oh wait, that's being cruel and completely unnecessary.

Exactly, and like I said the line was crossed when he abused the skunk for his pleasure. If he felt it was a threat he wouldn?t have let it go. You all saying he can use any means necessary to get rid of the skunk is silly. Then some sick farmer would rape the goat every night and say he was harassing it to get it to leave.

This is a skunk not a cute little bunny that means no harm. If he went around to harassed bunnies because he didnt like them on his property i think that would be crossing the line. He trapped a pest on his property. He correctly realized it was a danger because it could have sprayed or bitten. But this gy was HUMANE so he decided to just drug it and set it free. It may have not been a legal act, but it was humane. Whats the problem with this?

A skunk is not a ferocious T-Rex either. Skunks aren't predatory. Their first defense (yes, defense. They are not offensive creatures) is their spray. Who the fvck is going to be dumb enough to go after the skunk again after being sprayed? Have you ever been near someone who's been sprayed the smell is almost debilitating. It's the most rancid thing I've ever smelled. If you're dumb enough to get sprayed and go back in closer for more, you deserve to be bitten.

If you're going to set it free, why drug it? And if you intended to drug it so that it wouldn't cause a problem while you had it caged, why set it free while still in your yard? Truth is, the OP didn't intend to set it free at all. He intended to kill it and it's very obvious. Fine, kill it. But don't play with it. Don't drug it, let it out, and watch it drown. Just fvcking get it over with.

He had no means to kill it other than inhumane methods. Instead he gave it a lot of sleeping pills and let it go. I dont see how you can view this as ' Playing with it" Drugging an animal is the most humane thing you can do to kill it. The skunk didnt die from the pills right away so he let it free. Then the thing passed out in his pool. It not like he was tourturing the animal. if he was i'd be on your side.

A shovel or an axe would have done the job. I would have no problem with it if he had just killed it and disposed of it. (Especially if in CA. you have to pay $50) I am speculating here a bit but like I said many times if he wasn?t playing with it why did he waste time giving it sleeping pills letting it go and walk away just to fall in the pool. Then thinking he is so cool comes on ATOT and thinks everyone will think he is cool. Guess that backfired. Also, I agree calling the cops is a little extreme in this case.

You know, it would have been better if you just cooked it and ate it. Nothing wrong with some early morning breakfast. Oh yeah, you know I enjoy flooding threads like this.

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: novasatori

A shovel is considered a humane way to kill an animal. Quick any easy. And the point was why didn?t he finish the job. The answer he was bored with it and went to find something else to play with.

He stated he thought it was dead, so I imagine he also thought he finished the job. Saying as several hours (presumeably) later it was gone, he was wrong, as he said himself in a follow up post.

If he lives near the woods, a hungry bear got to it beforehand.

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
Originally posted by: novasatori
Originally posted by: Phoenix86
You obviously missed the point where it doesn't matter what happened. He's being held to what he said. He could have been reported BEFORE he posted the next day that it was gone. What actually happened is irrelevant to the fact that he got reported. He was reported for what he said happen, not what actually happened.

Oh so wait, you only look at 90% of a persons post history to figure out what they said not 100%?

You just take what you need out of context in order to make them guilty?

because he did in fact SAY that it left the next morning, he also said he thought it drowned but corrected that.

So if we arent going to count the part where he said it left, I don't think we can count the part where he said it drowned, seems a bit unfair and selective imo.
I'm simply stating that depending on when you read the thread you got a different story. *Someone* reported him, based on one of his version of the story.

Again, it doesn't matter what happened, just what he said happened. That's what got him reported. Also, the police, or whoever showed up, saw what he wrote and acted on that. They didn't know what happened either.

I didn't report him, and if you'll read the whole thread, I already said I didn't think it should have been reported. KTHXBYE.

I wouldn't have reported, but I enjoy seeing people reported.

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
Siva, you should know better by now.. you don't have to prove anything to anyone, your point has already been branded into this thread without you even opening your mouth.

He did what you did, to post nothingness so he can get a lot of posts like you did. lol

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: CheapArse
Can we have more details please? IE

How the police got your name and address? Also what were they going to charge you with? Also what laws did they say you broke? Also, you're pretty persistant about your innocence, so why didn't you explain how everything went down to the police?

an FBI agent monitors these forums, they just decided to read a thread or two, and thought it would be funny if he put down his coffee and donut to make a call to the police, for a change.

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: pkypkypky
Originally posted by: KingofCamelot
Originally posted by: pkypkypky
Originally posted by: infestedgh0st
dude you never should've talked about this in the first place if your gonna torture the skunk.

After the whole ordeal, to actually login and share it with us as if it's a normal occurence is interesting to say the least. Of course, the skunk isn't AS domesticated as a dog or cat (or etc), but then again, premeditating the drugging of any animal is out of my league. Rats are considered verminous in our society yet most of us wouldn't attempt to *experiment* with them in such a degree. Like they say, it's the thought that counts. We're not exactly talking about burning ants or swatting flies here.

I'm interested in what the mods' view of this actual situation is. As for the OP, I find it 'interesting' that he feels like the victim in this whole situation. Enough of a victim to start this thread to say the least. I think we've all lost some sort of perspective here.

:confused:

I read the original thread before he edited his posts, in no way did I see him trying to *experiment* with the skunk. This is how I understand it went down.

1. Skunk gets stuck in trap lying in back yard (not sure why trap was there to begin with)
2. OP contemplates how to get rid of skunk. He could have killed it, but instead he looked for a way to let it go.
3. OP comes up with the plan to sedate the skunk (not the best plan in hindsight), so that he can release it without being sprayed by the skunk (please don't tell me anyone expected him to take a spray just to free the skunk)
4. Skunk exhibits drowsiness, most likely poses no threat of spraying OP now.
5. OP lets skunk out of trap, in hope of it wondering on its merry way.
6. Instead skunk decides to go for a swim in the pool. (Most likely due to the sedation)
7. OP scoops skunk out of pool with net as soon as possible.
8. Skunk doesn't move, assumes it drowned, posts pics in thread (Although the last part might sound odd, you know how people always want pics in OT)
9. OP doesn't know what to do with possibly dead skunk, leaves it there to deal with in morning and goes to bed.
10. OP wakes up next morning, lo and behold, skunk is gone. The only logical answer is that the skunk had just passed out, and upon waking up decided to high tail it out of there.

I see the OP doing nothing wrong. Sure sedating the skunk may not have been 'humane' in hindsight, but at the time I can see how it was the best option he could think of. In the end all things worked out ok for the skunk, so why is this still being discussed??

And how do you give a skunk cat food mixed with a dozen sleeping pills in the first place without being sprayed? I guess there is a way to do it, but yea....it would have been nice to hear the whole story. And if he's trapped in the case, I would think calling the authorities would be somewhat reasonable compared to what occured.

Ok Ok.... let's get real. Firstly, he must have tried the cat food with pills first, then he got f'd up and gave them to the skunk. Ok?

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Kensai
Originally posted by: jerryjg
Originally posted by: JImmyK
Originally posted by: neutralizer
You didn't even do anything illegal. Damn people with too much time on their hands.

How is trapping, drugging and releasing a wild animal next to the pool NOT cruelty to animals? I hope the asshole burns!

Dude your an asshat, Im so glad tygrve owned you that time, you so deserved it, I hope your not such a big ahole in real life. Go get a life and stop being an e-Prick.

this guy is definitly on the short list of the ones who might have called the police.

Wow, another mental midget flailing his arms and screaming. :roll:

As stated earlier in this thread if you would have fscking read the whole goddamn thing, look at my reaction to this thread, smart guy. Would I have left the previous thread alone if I had seen it? Of course not; I would have been all over it too. What does this tell us, kids? That I, along with others, didn't see the original thread until this one was posted.

Even so, more dumbass fvcksteaks are probably going to start pointing unfounded fingers. Oh well. Their loss (of brain cells), not mine.

I lost brain cells reading this..

I lost 2

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
anybody wanna have a flood-this-thread race? the skunk's name will be named .....

"SKUNK SUMMERS"

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Valkerie
Originally posted by: TNTrulez
It's not animal cruelty.

you're an idiot, yes it is. you can post a message every 15 seconds, that's what I'm doing.

Dude, if you're going to reply to a large amount of posts, do us a favor and put them all in one and reply to each in kind a-la VirtualLarry (do an author search).

Edit: OMG, you made two more as I was making my reply post.. good lordie!

Valkerie

Banned
May 28, 2005
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Originally posted by: Valkerie
Originally posted by: TNTrulez
It's not animal cruelty.

you're an idiot, yes it is. you can post a message every 15 seconds, that's what I'm doing.

Dude, if you're going to reply to a large amount of posts, do us a favor and put them all in one and reply to each in kind a-la VirtualLarry (do an author search).

Somebody stop me. It's a way to get extra posts, like a lot of other people have.

Remember Starcraft, 7v1 games? It's a way to get a few more games on your stats. Anyone think it's a waste of time, because I'm going to stop right now. Good bye.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I kill mice when they invade my garage every Winter. Quick, someone call the feds on me! :roll:

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
OMG, look at the last 2 pages... out of 100 posts 90 were valkeryie....

he must be furiously clicking everytime it says, you must wait 15 seconds

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ArmenK
Nik, I don't know what you have against me but here are some details to clear up some questions you may have.

The skunk was caught in a trap that was put out for racoons. We have a family of racoons in the area that have ENTERED our house and taken food. Once the skunk was trapped, I attempted to release but could not because it would threaten to spray when I would start to open the door of the cage. You have to understand that the cage door is not easy to open, it takes a bit of force and you need to stick your fingers into the cage basically to open it. After giving it the pills, I opened the door to the cage and quickly went back inside so that it would not spray me. I watched it walk out and go around the corner of the house. From there, it walked about 50 feet to the pool (I could not see it at this point). I walked to the other side of the house (insifde) and saw movement in the pool (outside) so I went out there, got the net, and pulled it out. It was struggling to breath at this point and I assumed it was dead or going to die. I left it there so that I could get rid of the body the next morning. In the morning, the it was gone.

If you think I intentionally put it in the pool or wanted to go there, you are mistaken. I will not sit here and try to convince you but this is what happened.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
WHOLE STORY MAYBE SOME PEOPLE SHOULD READ ENTIRE THREAD

/end