Today Britain votes on remaining part of the EU

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
If UK wants back into the EU, it will have to apply under same terms as other new members, not the nice grandfathered terms they got where they are exempt from a lot of EU rules.

Which makes applying that much more unlikely.
Without knowing much about the EU system, I would guess that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. Though that's only a hunch based on very little information.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Without knowing much about the EU system, I would guess that the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU. Though that's only a hunch based on very little information.

UK is in a weak position, due to its size relative to the EU, and also the nature of what it trades with the EU. UK consumers have a stronger preference for BMW vs Jaguar, fashion, etc, than EU customers have of UK vs a continental bank for their financial services. Banking is all about numbers and regulations, not brand loyalties.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

If Texas left the US, it won't in any sort of position to make demands against a far more powerful neighbor. England only had leverage when it threatened to leave, since the EU would prefer them to stay (and the exceptions/exemptions granted them demonstrate this). However the dummies actually played their only card worth much (leading PM candidate May has said "Brexit means brexit)"), which significantly weakened their hand moving forward.

It was totally a comedy of errors, Cameron called the vote to strengthen his position because he didn't think it would pass, Johnson/Farage campaigned to leave only for personal gain also thinking it wouldn't pass, but once leave won Cameron passes on the brexit trigger to spite the next PM which was going to be Johnson. Now, had Johnson become PM he was likely to weasel out of brexit, but his "friend" Gove stabs him in the back but fails to win the PM position himself. In that disarray, May who backed Cameron for remain will likely win, but she just happens to be the stubborn "principled" type who now wants to respect the will of the voters. Only through this coincidental configuration of players was brexit ever going to happen, and now it looks more likely than not unless more hilarious hijinx ensue.

Also, the only particularly strong industry in the UK is finance, and the rest of the EU are smacking their lips to each take a bite of that, and there's nothing the english can do about it once they lose their seat at the table.

What do you think is going to be with property markets in the UK and the EU? I believe in the slight fall of prices in England and Spain. Spain will suffer a wane of demand for real estate from British buyers who were extremely active in this market. And in London the weak pound will play its part to attract new foreign investors. A good piece on the topic https://tranio.com/united-kingdom/news/real-estate-markets-could-wobble-as-uk-votes-to-leave-the-eu_5152/, pay attention to the part "the real estate market in Britain may benefit from heightened foreign interest"

Most british GDP is now in services, which tend to be less price sensitive than material/commodity type goods. People move to where the jobs are, and the UK is looks less attractive for investment outside the single market than in. This tends to have a spiraling effect, because once people start heading eastward for cheap talent they're not going back.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000

You know, I don't want to come down upon Denmark to terribly, because Carlsberg is pretty good beer, and I can buy 2 liters of it here in my town for 5 US Dollars. Peerless loudspeakers are also pretty tits.

So why does a beer imported from Denmark get to undercut, pricewise, beer made locally?

I don't get it, unless Danish labor is super cheap or something. Are you secretly importing migrant laborers, like we do, which allows me to buy a bunch of celery (here in Massachusetts) that was grown and shipped from California for a dollar and sixty nine cents?

Are you pulling this sort of scam, and exporting the results to North America?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
You know, I don't want to come down upon Denmark to terribly, because Carlsberg is pretty good beer, and I can buy 2 liters of it here in my town for 5 US Dollars. Peerless loudspeakers are also pretty tits.

So why does a beer imported from Denmark get to undercut, pricewise, beer made locally?

I don't get it, unless Danish labor is super cheap or something. Are you secretly importing migrant laborers, like we do, which allows me to buy a bunch of celery (here in Massachusetts) that was grown and shipped from California for a dollar and sixty nine cents?

Are you pulling this sort of scam, and exporting the results to North America?

Like all other breweries they manufacture locally/licensed where the labor is cheapest.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

As long as there is not a chain reaction of counties leaving the EU, then no, the EU will probably be just as well off as it was before, if not even better due to less UK meddling. There might be some power balance pains and shifting equilibriums however, with the possibility of those all equaling out over the next few decades.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
It will likely fall apart, there is something to be said about the mentality of the main countries left involved and how prone they are to slide towards authoritarianism. Without the UK to check the "consolidation of power", its going to get ugly.
PhilosoChat#9 | Sargon of Akkad on Brexit Protesting Cry-Bullies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCyU0-oFhE