To window-key or not to window-key what would you ask IBM/Lenovo to do if you had a say in it ?

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
I think the window key ( and the logo to be more specfic) is a MS propaganda to brainwash ppl to the idea that windows is the only OS they should be using.

I have noticed that it has confused the hell out of ppl, my say is that Thinkpads are one of a kind Laptops
I feel joy every time I open up my Thinkpad and see nothing that points out to the Monopoly of our time.

But then again that's my opinion.

BrianH1

Platinum Member
May 24, 2005
I have an apple logo where your windows key is, so hah!

edit: now the polll appears!

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
We Thinkpad owners should organise a No-Win key protest outside of Lenovo's headquarters but that's just me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i hate the window key. i popped it off my keyboards. if i really need it ctrl-esc works just fine.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I presume Lenovo is looking to add it ? I didn't know (and you don't offer supporting links)... I would say - I don't care if they add it. What are they removing in place of it ? If nothing, then no big deal. I sure don't miss it on my T42, but it can be beneficial (like WIN-L & WIN-D (or WIN-M)).

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
happy that my thinkpad doesn't have one.

i disabled it on my desktop cuz it interferes with gaming

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like the WinKey and the Edit key. I don't notice it missing on my Thinkpad because I can do anything including using the mouse without moving my hands from the keyboard. I would, however, advocate replacing the Winkey with a non-shifted @.

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
I have a suggestion for Lenovo, if they absolutley must have Winkey on the keyboards, then :

1- have two keys after the left Alt
2- both are unlabeled.
3- Thinkpad comes with two stickers, one says winkey (no logo) , and the other says Ctrl.
4- at first bootup a wizard comes up asking you about the mapping choice.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i hate the window key. i popped it off my keyboards. if i really need it ctrl-esc works just fine.

how do you do the windows key + D?? my favorite windows key command.

i have a thinkpad T-42 and really the only thing i think is lacking about it is the lack of the windows key.

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
Originally posted by: ElFenix

how do you do the windows key + D?? my favorite windows key command.

i have a thinkpad T-42 and really the only thing i think is lacking about it is the lack of the windows key.

You do know that IBM supplies your Thinkpad with an utility that allows you to map any key you want to as a win key combination, you can change your Fn key to a winkey.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
I presume Lenovo is looking to add it ? I didn't know (and you don't offer supporting links)... I would say - I don't care if they add it. What are they removing in place of it ? If nothing, then no big deal. I sure don't miss it on my T42, but it can be beneficial (like WIN-L & WIN-D (or WIN-M)).

They introduced it (the winkey) in the new Z series line (along with widescreen).

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It's useful... win+r, win+d, win+break, win+e, and many others.

Win+L for logout and Win+M for minimize all are the ones I use most. Getting rid of the key would get rid of many useful shortcuts, so I voted it stays.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
On my T40, I just changed my right ALT key to a windows key. Works really well, I don't need two alt keys

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71
Lenovo has added it to the new Z-series; they're mum about the rest of 'em tho.

I think they shouldn't add it to the rest of the models. It is okay on the 15.4" Z60m, but it makes the 14" WXGA Z60t keyboard kind of scrunched up.

I have a 15" T42 and mapping Start to the right Alt key works fine for me

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: effowe
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It's useful... win+r, win+d, win+break, win+e, and many others.

Win+L for logout and Win+M for minimize all are the ones I use most. Getting rid of the key would get rid of many useful shortcuts, so I voted it stays.

D'oh, win+L... I don't even think about that one, but I use it many times per day :p
It's like a reflex now.

MobiusPizza

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2004
There are 2 major reason why I hate IBM laptops

1. Dull cheap plastic black look
2. No WINDOWS key (Can't do WK + M, WK + D, WK+L, WK+U+U, WK)

The Linuxator

Banned
Jun 13, 2005
I would like to upgrade to a T-series once I am done with school and it will break my heart if they have a T-series in the future with a winkey.
Isn't there a way we Thinkpad users can sign some petetion or something , I mean at least we can try ?
Why am I making a big deal about a silly little key ? Well the key isn't the issue by itself, it's the purpose of the key itself that pisses me of, why does every manfacturer of keyboards have to assume I am going to use windows, that's kind of influencing ppl psychologically .

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I will never pay money for a laptop where CTRL isn't he bottom left most key. FVCK IBM/Lenovo

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I would request to have hardware dvorak wired IBM Model M 101 key keyboards, that use USB. That would pretty much be heaven for me. Until then I'll use my old PS2 and AT Model M keyboards with the keys remapped through software. (loadkeys in linux, and internat.exe in windahs)