To what degree should police enforce the theft law?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb
It still needs to be criminalized. If it is not it becomes simply a risk vs reward prospect about stealing $10 for possible, say, a $500 fine and a lot more people would do it.

Good point.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Maybe it would be better to charge Woodsmans as they proposed. Police are a limited resource, and it hardly seems fair to the rest of the city that one business can monopolize a public resource like that.

It's true that it'll never be split equally, but when it's that unbalanced and it looks like that'll never change, some step has to be taken. Woodsman seems resistant to taking long term steps that would make it harder for people to steal things, and they are insistent on calling the cops for petty thievery that affects no one but them.

The police are there for the public good. Is that served by spending this much time arresting petty thieves that won't be prosecuted? Maybe if Woodsman was being charged for the high number of calls, it would become more economically feasible to implement better security of their own. Preventing thievery instead of catching it afterwards.

Strasburg says the department is considering all options, including getting stores to add security staff, posting warnings on frequently stolen merchandise and not displaying merchandise in areas customers pass through after they've paid.

Woodman's east side store could be laid out better in terms of deterring shoplifting. IIRC, you can check out at the registers, and then walk through the front of the store past merchandise to get to the west exit. I'll have to check next time I'm there.

Other than that, I don't see how any of the police's suggestion would help.

How is more security staff going to help if the cops don't bother showing up? A thief is going to steal something regardless of how many warning signs you have. It's not like these shoplifters "accidentally" pocket a gallon of milk.

I wonder how many of these are repeat offenders?

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Fines or tickets seems to be the way to go.

Make this a revenue generator for the city and watch how fast they jump at these calls.

Bingo...especially considering the Police Lt.'s first response was they could better spend the time addressing "speeding complaints". I'm assuming this is a small town so a lot of their revenue comes from said fines. Even if it is not a small town the local Municipality generates ticket revenue. They would rather be out making money than spending their time......doing what the taxpayer actually pays them to do.

Madison has a population of about 200,000 and the Madison Metro Area has about 500,000 according to Wiki. It's not exactly a small town.

So far, I like the suggestions about large fines...and free doughnuts for cops. :evil:

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
I remember reading an article a while back, where Walmart changed their shoplifting policy. Used to be zero tolerance, now they go this route:

1. Theft >$25, you're arrested & they prosecute
2. Theft <$25, they bring you into the office, show you the video tape that proves your theft, then give you the chance at a "do over". If you agree, they put your name & other information into their database (which is shared with all other Walmart stores), and you're let off with the warning that if you're ever caught shoplifting from any Walmart, anywhere, for any dollar amount, they'll prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

For your career shoplifters, it's highly likely they'll get caught again, or they're over the dollar amount, and they'll pay the penalty. But for your penny-ante shoplifters (kids stealing music cd's, or some such), it puts a bit of the fear of God into them, which is often times all it takes to get them back onto the right path again.

Personally, I think it's a good policy. Walmart adopted it once they realized that they were spending more money prosecuting shoplifters of items worth less than $25, than they were losing in the stolen merchandise. For them, it's a win-win. :thumbsup:

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: tk149
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Fines or tickets seems to be the way to go.

Make this a revenue generator for the city and watch how fast they jump at these calls.

Bingo...especially considering the Police Lt.'s first response was they could better spend the time addressing "speeding complaints". I'm assuming this is a small town so a lot of their revenue comes from said fines. Even if it is not a small town the local Municipality generates ticket revenue. They would rather be out making money than spending their time......doing what the taxpayer actually pays them to do.

Madison has a population of about 200,000 and the Madison Metro Area has about 500,000 according to Wiki. It's not exactly a small town.

So far, I like the suggestions about large fines...and free doughnuts for cops. :evil:

Yeah who needs that useless jury by your peers lets.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Ackmed
I would give tickets out for smokers who flick their butts out the window. Or on the sidewalk when walking down the street. Someone who litters, is someone who litters. Just because its a cig butt, and not a 2 liter bottle, doesnt mean its any different. Imagine how many butts are tossed every day.

Obviously Im in support of zero tolerance.

"flick"

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Lanyap
Zero tolerance and a minimum ticket fine that makes a statement but is still reasonable, like $50.

Why should the fine be reasonable? Make the fine HURT enough to be a deterrent.

Maybe they could set a minimum arrest limit of $50. Any amount less and the cops just take the thief around the back and beat the motherfucker with their nightsticks for a while. (length of time and severity of beating dependent on dollar amount and prior offenses) :D

If you make the fine unreasonable then people will not pay it and you're back to paying for all the legal processes to handle the situation, like subpoenas, court costs, jailing, etc.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
But a reasonable fine isn't a deterrent. Get caught stealing $50 worth of stuff and get a $50 fine...pfft...just one of the hazards of the game. If they get away with it 10 times and only get caught once...they're $450 ahead.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: smack Down

When's the last time someone had a trial by jury for a traffic ticket?

ZeGermans

Banned
Dec 14, 2004
HAHAHAHA....someone in Missouri casting aspersions at Texas. That is rich. Missouri is a shithole. I can say that since I was born there. At least in Texas the State Government understands it's citizens' rights. People like you want to give the losers of society "super rights". From all the license plates I see from all over the country of people that appear to be living and WORKING here now I assume we are doing things better than most states. Texas has long been a place people flee State economies wrecked by Democrats and their policies.

gratz on your fascist police state man

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
But a reasonable fine isn't a deterrent. Get caught stealing $50 worth of stuff and get a $50 fine...pfft...just one of the hazards of the game. If they get away with it 10 times and only get caught once...they're $450 ahead.

Good point.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
Originally posted by: ZeGermans
Shooting anyone that is unarmed and taking something from you is murder.

Not in Texas.

texas is a hellhole that has a hilariously racist reason for existing.

HAHAHAHA....someone in Missouri casting aspersions at Texas. That is rich. Missouri is a shithole. I can say that since I was born there. At least in Texas the State Government understands it's citizens' rights. People like you want to give the losers of society "super rights". From all the license plates I see from all over the country of people that appear to be living and WORKING here now I assume we are doing things better than most states. Texas has long been a place people flee State economies wrecked by Democrats and their policies.

Ironic that it took a Texan, GWB to wreck the world's economy. Thank you Texas, what would we do without you? :|

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

I used a static amount in my example for simplicity. You could always come up with a graduated fine based on the value of the item(s) with a minimum - like 10x the cost of the item but no less than $50. There are a number of ways to accomplish this. If you fine them $5000 for stealing a few steaks and a bottle of wine you'll likely never get the money and spend more money with legal costs of prosecuting them and putting them in jail.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002

Um, actually, I was called in for jury duty about 5 years ago now, for traffic court. They use a 6 member jury for anyone who (a) fights a ticket and (b) requests a jury (versus just the judge deciding whether they're guilty or not).

Sadly, it was for a woman who was speeding (54 in a 35, clearly marked) and given bad advice by an attorney wanna-be. The cop testified first, told everyone how he'd used a laser speed detector to clock her, where he was sitting, how he'd calibrated it that morning (and how they calibrate it every day before they go out on patrol). Then she got up there, and asked when was the last time he'd calibrated his radar gun??

His response? "Um, like I just talked about, it was a laser gun, and it's calibrated every day".

She was simply stunned, and really didn't know what to do after that. Needless to say, she not only paid the speeding fine, but court costs as well. :roll:

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: marvdmartian

Um, actually, I was called in for jury duty about 5 years ago now, for traffic court. They use a 6 member jury for anyone who (a) fights a ticket and (b) requests a jury (versus just the judge deciding whether they're guilty or not).

Sadly, it was for a woman who was speeding (54 in a 35, clearly marked) and given bad advice by an attorney wanna-be. The cop testified first, told everyone how he'd used a laser speed detector to clock her, where he was sitting, how he'd calibrated it that morning (and how they calibrate it every day before they go out on patrol). Then she got up there, and asked when was the last time he'd calibrated his radar gun??

His response? "Um, like I just talked about, it was a laser gun, and it's calibrated every day".

She was simply stunned, and really didn't know what to do after that. Needless to say, she not only paid the speeding fine, but court costs as well. :roll:

Thank you for sharing. However, from my understanding, it is up to the municipality to decide on whether a trial by jury is required for traffic cases. It is not Federally mandated.

I've been thinking about smack Down's reply and it does bring up a good point. The usual fine for excessive traffic violations is revocation of your driver's license. There is no license for shopping.

At some point, excessive shoplifting convictions should carry jailtime, but as far as I know, routine traffic violations don't (unless you've lost your license). Anything involving jailtime should require a trial (bench trial, if not a jury trial).

Apr 20, 2008
As a LP employee I can say I am ABSOLUTELY sick of repeat offenders. You would think they would get a hard punishment even for felony theft, but they are usually out of the cells the next week.

No joke, I wish pro shoplifters would try to punch their way out of an arrest. That way I know they are going to jail for a robbery. Women, amateur and needy shoplifters are the only ones who are dumb enough to fight.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Lanyap
Zero tolerance and a minimum ticket fine that makes a statement but is still reasonable, like $50.

Why should the fine be reasonable? Make the fine HURT enough to be a deterrent.

Maybe they could set a minimum arrest limit of $50. Any amount less and the cops just take the thief around the back and beat the motherfucker with their nightsticks for a while. (length of time and severity of beating dependent on dollar amount and prior offenses) :D

So that's what humanity's failures dream of achieving.