To those that hate Best Buy...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just ONE example:
  • I buy a DVD player there for average price
  • 2 months later it fails
  • Turned in for service
  • After repeated calls, retrieved from service six weeks later.
  • Unit was DOA
  • Reurned to service desk, asked for replacement
  • Told that it would have to go back to be repaired
  • Reminded them that it had already been gone 6 weeks!
  • Informed that since I didn't buy an extended warranty, no replacement would be forthcoming
  • I'm told that once you exercise that warranty, no further extended warranty exists from then on!
How should BestBuy have handled this? How would Sears have handled it? How did I handle it? Let's just say I managed my own replacement! I'll shop at Sears, or any other competitor, whenever possible. Screw BestBuy! :frown:

lilFajita

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2002
Best Buy is a victim of their competiton. The salespeople rarely have any valuable information about their products, their prices are not very, if at all, lower than the competition, and, if that wasn't enough, there are never enough people to supply you with a lack of information. When you compare this (regardless of the good reasons for it) to Circuit City or something, it just comepletely turns you off. I mean, I know that not every Circuit City is great, but I have had some good experiences at a variety of Best Buy's competitors where the salesperson knows what is going on, and is available to help you. Additionally, while Best Buy only does a price match (and that only if it satisfies a million conditions), many competitors do a price beat (Circuit City: 110% of difference, Conn's: 115% of difference). It just gets to the point where you wouldn't even want to go there unless you know exactly what you want and you can't get it anywhere else. That's not a very good business strategy.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
The lack of knowledge by the sales people is probably a common complaint. I don't like that either, although personally, I usually research and know what I'm looking for before I go in there (if it's a big purchase.) So lack of knowledgable sales people isn't as big an issue to me MOST of the time. And I have encountered a few good ones so they're not ALL bad. It's just hit or miss in my experience.

MY biggest complaint is the rectal exam you have to endure whenever you need to return something. I know they have to go through their procedures for quality control, etc. But when you compare how long and how many steps it seems you have to go through with Best Buy compared to any other store (Circuit City for direct comparison, Wal-Mart for general comparison) they're absolutely HORRIBLE. I don't think it's EVER taken less than 30 minutes to return anything (and since I don't make major purchases there we're only talking about return $20-$75 items here; not a $2,000 TV where they understandably have a bit more at stake.) If there's even 2 people in the return line in front of you, then you can pretty much chalk up at least a half hour or more of your life that you're going to waste standing there. On a couple of occasions I've just kept the item rather than bother with returning it.

The other major complaint from me is how they try to force feed the extended warranty programs down your throat. I'm sure most of us understand the general prinicple that if an electrical item's going to break, then it's most likely going to break very early or then not at all for a long period of time until it's near the end of its life. I can't remember what the rule is called, but I'm sure most of you have heard of it. So in the VAST majority of cases, a manufacturer's warranty (and usually even a 30-day return policty) will cover you for a defective product. I realize it doesn't cover you from "other" stipulations which are somewhat covered by the Best Buy policy. But then again, my homeowner's insurance covers many of those potential issues as well. So as soon as I politely refuse the extended warranty for what's usually a rather inexpensive product that's not worth insuring anyway, the sales person's attitude suddenly changes from nice and accommodating to sour as if I'm wasting their time. If they make their money off those programs that's fine. But I shouldn't be treated like dirt for purchasing a product from them and then refusing to pay EVEN MORE for what usually amounts to little more than an optional markup.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
The worst BB I've been to is the one at Crossroads in Cary, NC. They treat you very poorly in general and except for a couple of occasions when I've come across some really courteous sales people, everyone else, particularly at the Customer Service counter, is downright rude and provide anything but service. In contrast, I've never had a bad moment at the Circuit City right across the street. But the one thing I'd really like to change about BB is shut down BestBuy.com It is the worst shopping experience ever without exception. If only the CC had more selections, I would never find a reason to step into the BB at Crossroads :disgust:

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Well this doesn't just apply to BB, because CC and CompUSA are just as guilty.

The lack of knowledge by sales people. I generally avoid the sales people because I realize that chances are they will not have the answers to my questions. So I do the research on my own. Its just that as I am walking around the store, I can overhear sales people talking to other customers and I realize what a load of bs they just gave them. Whether or not its intentional, I don't know. I don't feel its my place to correct them though.

Either the sales people ignore me or they all pester me to no end. Its one or the other. I either get completely ignored until I basically throw a net over the sales person and drag them over to where I am. Or, I get pestered by 5 different sales people within the span of 5 minutes, when I am just browsing the CD section. I realize I am a 24 year old male, but come on, I have a credit card, I spend big bucks on occasion. If the sales guy gets a commission (aka CC), then today might be the day I buy some hundred dollar or more purchase.

And the prices are crazy. Low end stuff is fine at these stores, things like CD's, DVD's, network cable, the small things. But when it comes to stuff over $100 or $200, the prices are so much higher than online stores. Things like video cards nearly $100 more than Newegg. Now I realize a B&M store won't be able to beat online store prices very often for these things. But when I can get a video card for $160 at newegg and the same card at CompUSA is $250, something is seriously out of whack.

Those are my reasons for disliking BB. Also the fact that I go in there for one thing and tend to end up buying more than I need, well that just doesn't work well for my budget.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The problem with Best Buy lies in management. Employees are poorly trained, disciplined, and compensated. Employee moral is low. They have little to no motivation to provide customers with a positive experience.
I have several BB stories I could tell, but the most profound for me (for a customer service angle) is this one. BB is the only store I have ever shopped at where I bought something and not one employee said a single word to me. Not even a "Hi." I had a $10 gift card and I needed an S-vid cable (small item I know). I walked to the back of the store, got the cable (had to look around for it first, several employees saw me looking though the shelves, not one stopped), walked back to the front, and put the item at a register with no line. As I checked out, the clerk did not say one word to me throughout the whole process, not one. She rang up my item, I gave her the gift card, she gave me my receipt, all in total silence. It was all very wierd and very unprofessional.
I know this may sound like a small complaint to some, but think of the last you ever bought anything anywhere and the salesclerk did not say at least one word to you. It never happens.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The voice of the disgruntled customer is always louder then that of a satisfied one.

I have had nothing but good luck with my two Best Buys. The salespeople are helpful if I can't find something, don't bother me if I tell them I don't need help, and are generally friendly (got a surley teen once on the day of the xbox launch and I've not seen him again so I think he pissed off the wrong customer and got fired). I had to return a DVD a couple weeks back, I was in and out in 10 minutes, which was faster then Meijer's return process (also returning something there that day).

The people running the registers are usually good too. I bought a generic brand ps2 memory card (during the shortage of sony branded ones last spring) and as I was checking out, the guy ringing me up mentioned that the card I was buying would require the included boot CD so I wasn't surprised when I returned home with it.

I've had a couple ask if I "was sure you wanted widescreen?" when buying DVDs too, but I find that less helpful :p.

The only problem I've ever had was several years ago when I went along with my sister to get a cdplayer installed in her car. The sales guy flat out lied to us about it, saying that the warranty would be voided if it wasn't cleaned professionally each year, which of course, the BB warranty covered

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it really funny when I read threads like this one. The Best Buy closest to my house is IMO an EXCELLENT one. Their sales people are not too dumb. I've overheard them having somewhat intelligent conversations. Their customer service is great. I've never had a problem returning anything. The other things is they never push those extended warranties. I went to another Best Buy once and the sales person tried to cram one down my throat. I like my Best Buy.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
i would say it is the employee's that think they know everything. i walk in there to buy a spindle of cd's and the next thing i know i've got a blue shirt wearing tool trying to sell me a compaq. and the worst part is that he is talking to me like i don't know anything about computers... grrrr

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Do they get commission or a bonus to get you to sign up for the stupid best buy card or an extended warranty? I went with my friend to help him pick out and buy a TV and DVD player, and my friend was asking about different technical features but the sales rep kept changing the subject to their stupid best buy card and the warranty. I was basically fighting the sales rep the whole time, convincing my friend to not get their card or warranty.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
my biggest issue with them is that they try to get me to buy extended warranty when i said "no"... which part of 'no' don't they understand? i don't want any debate, i just want my stuff and leave.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
it isn't a blind hatred, as some seem to think it is. their salespeople are usually incompetent, their policies are inconsistant, and they hardly ever seem to have the customer's best interest in mind. the last item i tried to buy something from best buy was a dvd player, and for all the hassle i got from an employee (when i could actually get one to talk to me), they made me bring my own cables and my own dvds to test out a dvd player to a tv. time before that, they wouldn't pricematch a tv because, and i quote, "that price is just too low."

SerraYX

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: d33pt
admit it.. you work for bestbuy

Actually most BB employees and managers dislike the way the stores are run.

The only instance where I was extremely annoyed with Best Buy was with purchasing this computer. I went looking for this model (VPR 180R) at the local store and was told that all of the models except for the most expensive model were out of stock and weren't going to be ordered. I had to drive to a store a good 45 minutes away to get one. Fast forward to Wednesday... a friend of mine who is an employee says they shipped out a whole truck of the entire line to Kentucky because they weren't selling. A week later I was buying network cable and a neighbor askmed me about the same model I got. She said the salesperson that was helping her wasn't doing too well (same guy, heh). I said loudly...That guy is a moron, go find someone who actually works here. He was sooo angry, REVENGE IS MINE :D:D:D:D:D:D....yes, that's it..REVENGE!

EDIT: Also, I dislike their "get the hands-on experience with our product" advertising, it's a bunch of BS. I was looking at LCDs and asked if I could install a copy of Half-Life I just bought from their shelf, see how it looked, and then immediately uninstall it. He could watch me and all. I was told no because I would damage the computer. Uh-huh, yeah, Half-Life installations are rough..

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Do they get commission or a bonus to get you to sign up for the stupid best buy card or an extended warranty?
I have no idea if they are on commission, I work at CC, the reason we recommend the Circuit City Visa is because is promotes return business. We don't get anything extra for selling on that, but its a higher probability of them coming back. And if you were really good to them, they will often come back to you directly.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
I don't like the fact that everytime I go in there and browse the DVD section they bug me to death to subscribe to Netflix.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The guys I worked with at CC were fairly knowledgable, though they didn't know everything. In most cases, rather than trying to explain difficult to customers, they would 'bend' the truth, cuz the customer doesn't know the difference. This only happen with the older, disgrutled sales people(disgruntled mostly because they are 40-50 years old and making $30K a year). They never bothered explaining why the Athlon XP is faster than the Pentium 4 at the same clock speed. The younger, more spirited sales counserlors(like me) actually were knowldegable AND told the customers the truth. Wow.

PhaZe

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 1999
I wish the local best buy would hire me as a "Returned hardware inspector".
I'am tired of buying sblives and finding some friggin winmodem in the box.

It would be great to see the look on a nervous geeks face while I inspect his "unfunctional 400$ video card" and find an old sound card in the box.
What happens to these people if they're caught?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: PhaZe
I wish the local best buy would hire me as a "Returned hardware inspector".
I'am tired of buying sblives and finding some friggin winmodem in the box.

It would be great to see the look on a nervous geeks face while I inspect his "unfunctional 400$ video card" and find an old sound card in the box.
What happens to these people if they're caught?

yikes, i'd be pretty pissed it that happened. were you able to return the wrong product for the correct one?

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Zedtom
Maybe Best Buy should look at what Home Depot has done in the last few years. They have replaced a lot of their younger and inexperienced employees with people who have actual working knowledge of what they sell. This might be related to a downturn in the building and construction trades.

The value of Home Depot stock has gone down this year due to expansion and the recession, but Best Buy is doing quite well.

I cant count the number of Home Depot managers that have come to our company recently.

codehack2

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

where i live there is no best buy, so im referring to any other retail store. i walk into a store, i dont get greeted, either because a) im fat, or b) i dont look like i have money, or c) im ugly

Hell of a sales pitch you got there buddy.

CH2

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: PCH0
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
I worked at Best Buy. Horribly ran IMO. Main thing I would change is workers need to be more informed. I worked there for nearly a year and I dind't even have passwords for many things, and didn't even know how to do lots of stuff because I was never taught. That and workers get absolutely no benefit for doing well while the managers do.

Agreed. The only pushback I have there is whether or not you asked for the information you were after. If you did and weren't given what you needed, shame on your leadership. If you didnt ask, shame on you. While there may be no instant gratification benefit (ie: bonuses) for line level employees, if you work hard and do your job youll get your raises, get promoted and then be put in the position to get the bonuses, stock options, etc.

What department did you work in?

I don't remember how many times I had to ask for a password but they would never give it to me. And half of the people I asked sent me to someone else. I'm just like WTF, is it that hard to give me a freakin password. Hell, they didn't even give me a checkout password until a month in, and when I finally got it, I had no clue how to use it. A little training perhaps? I asked, but never taught... you just learn eventually when the situation comes up and you have no clue what to do and look like a complete idiot, and have to call a manager over to fix your mistake. And when you get a pissed off customer that only wants to come talk to a manager, and you call them over and the manager says they'll be over in one sec and then dissapear. WTF?!

And no, there is no gratification other than "good job, keep it up". :disgust: Gee thanks, but that doesn't pay for my gas and bills. For every 6 months you work, you get an automatic 30 cent "raise" (does not depend on performance), the only possible promotion is going from part-time to full-time (what the hell kind of "promotion" is that? Furhtermore, it only seems to happen when a full-time person leaves), and all the bonuses, stock options, etc are only for the full time works (few and rare) and the managers. There is no commision anywhere.

Also the daily PM meetings were just a complete waste of time. They go over your numbers always, and thats about it. Meanwhile, it's truck night and you still have lots of stuff to do, yet they have to go over NUMBERS. Guess they like to have a sh1tty looking department because I'm supposed to be off by 10 no matter what....

I worked the Wirless department. I was pissed for numerous reason so I quit.

1) I was getting paid less than other people doing the same exact job witht he same exact experience/qualitifcations or even less. (Even less pay than the people that just got hired... even after my 30 cent "raise".)
2) They wanted me to bother customers up the @ss with sales. You sell the product, the warranty, MSN, NetFlix, a software that would teach about the product, and then accessories. I'm just like WTF, thats not trying to be helpful thats just being an annoying sales person.
3) Managers/supervisors getting "bonuses" while the part-time workers who were actually doing all the work, get nothing. I can't remember teh countless times I see my supervisor of my department just standing there talking to the other managers.
4) Employee discount is close to nothing. Doesn't work on brand new products (must wait 30 days+). In other words, all the products that normal people would be buying such as DVD's, games, small electornics, you will get no discount on or even with your discoutn you will find a better deal inATHD. They supposedly say its whatever they buy it for plus 10%. Yeah right...
5) Lack of information. New products just come out one day when you come back to work. Policys change all of sudden with no notice. I learned all my material from reading up on them online and seeing whats happening. Even still though, its not like I can memorize every single thing. How about giving me the manual for the product at least, sh1t. I applied for teh computer department, but they decide to stick me in the Wireless department because thats where they need people. They don't test you on your knowledge or anything... I remember walking by the computer department as one of the comptuer sales associate was telling the customer that with having a longer cable you will notice a lag time, so she gets a brand new mouse instead. WTF.

And trust me, I'm not the only one. They hve a cycle of new workers coming in once every 6 months or so because all the old ones leave. Out of all the people that got hired to wireless around the same time I did, we have all left. (That's about 5 of us.) The only ones that are still there of course are the "supervisors".

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
New release anime DVD scam.

Every time they have a new anime release, they have it on sale for a really nice price. Every time though, they only have 6 in stock and I'm guessing those get "reserved" the night before by employees. The week goes by with no new copies on the shelf. Then Sunday BAM, there are suddenly 30 copies for an exhorbitant normal price.

This has happened several times. Every time I've had to put it on raincheck. Every time they give me a runaround about how they can't raincheck the sale price. Every time I talk to a manager who approves the raincheck. Every time I ask how many they had in stock when they started the sale and every time it's 6.