To RMA, or not - Asus Strix 970

Orlean

Nov 28, 2011
As most of you know the GTX900 series has been plagued by coil whine/buzz, and unfortunately my card has it, there's no doubt about it. I have until tomorrow to submit a RMA, so I was posting to see what people's experiences were with RMAing there cards that have it. From what I've been reading, at least for some people they get a card that has worse coil whine along with the card having other problems.

In my personal experience, I don't have to have 200-1000 FPS like I've read some people need to reproduce the noise - I get it more noticeably when the card is at 50-70% load at 60 FPS like the World of Tanks Garage area, even If I'm in a game with 50-80 FPS. I have tried running Heaven for a whole day with the hopes of it going away. I've overclocked the card, increased voltage, and set V-sync to 60FPS it still has the same noise.

Other than that the card runs great, so you can see why I'm hesitant on returning it if it works, but the noise does drive me crazy. The other thing to is does it effect the performance of it later down the road?

Fortunately for the time I've been into the computer scene (10 years) I've never had to RMA a single thing, so as you can imagine I'm kinda stuck on what I should do since I've never had a GPU make this type of noise.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated

- Orlean

GHz_ghost

Dec 7, 2014
It's probably too late for you to get an answer, but I would RMA it. You've got nothing to lose but maybe a couple weeks of gaming, whereas if you don't RMA it and you have another problem emerge later on, you're SOL.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
No way, I would not deal with Asus RMA. You might not have a replacement card for months and what you will get is a used card. Sell the card instead and pick up another 970 if it bothers you this much.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
RMA to asus - good luck. i hope you will live through it.

i'd rather shoot myself, but thats just me.
also, seller warranty?

Orlean

Nov 28, 2011
I actually have until the end of today to submit a RMA with Newegg directly, after today it would have to go through Asus RMA.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Asus US GPU RMA is horrible. I wouldn't try play GPU roulette with them, they'll keep you in a limbo for a month or two and the replacement, if you get one, will be worse than anything you send them. I would have RMA'd to newegg but now you're screwed.

There are threads about asus gpu RMA, go read a few (and weep).