To overclock or not to overclock?

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
Guys I have changed my mine again
and decided to go back to normal.
You see it maybe generating more heat then usual and in the long run
I'm getting lock up, blue screen of death? Ix000 error?
Declocking my 582 to 550.
My 500 @ 550 is running at 523 instead, a little hotter is all that poor
fan/heatsink can take.
This is summertime, and it already is hot hot hot.
It was great for awhile, if heat wasn't a problem that is.
Overclocking is still cool so don't it the wrong way I just
need it to run cooler that all. :)
Experiment is all I can do and see if increasing
from 550 to 570 at 2.3 will do me good. I'll give it another try and see how it goes.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
It is a small community, but I don't know where you get off insulting people like this. Actually, most of do know the technical specs of CPUs. Most of us, running normal air cooling, aren't gonna take a 2.2 volt cpu adn run it @ 2.9 volts.

I have a p3-650E cb0, default voltage 1.65. I have it running at 1.8. Is that excessive? I have it running at 975, and it hasn't crashed in 4 days, running rc5 constantly. If you know what you're doing, its perfectly safe. As far as shortened cpu time, yes, it shortens time. But most of us will upgrade within the 2 years it takes for the cpu to die.

And yes, some people will run a p3 coppermine at 1.9 volts. Is it safe, with proper cooling, yes.

Mike

Rich3077

Oct 11, 1999
I have my DUAL 600E's at 800MHz VERY stable at DEFAULT voltage. These cpu's will live for many years like this. When they start to get to slow I will pump them up some more.

Rich

kind-of-blue

Nov 17, 1999
What do you mean by "excessive speed" in your topic post?

"It more likely to crash and in the long run, your cpu is dead in the water?" how is this relavent? In 5 years the same computers will be obsolete....

As for adolecent "brag and moan"....a great is example your topic post: "Overclocking is strictly for fun, and the excitement of excessive speed."

Is this a genuine question, or are you venting?

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
If it stable as you say then cool. :)
But some are misleading me about K6-2 cpu being as overclocking as
they say.
Did exactly what they did.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
well, since you've clarified that you're talking about k6-2s.

The majority of k6-2s and 3's out there were not good overclockers, you're talking usually around 50mhz gain, maybe 100mhz. some people pushed it to 125 or so. But they aren't the overclocking champs. The original celeron A's were the first really good overclockers.

Nowadays, with a modern chip, either athlon or p3 coppermine, overclocking is very easy, and with the wide range of mb options, its very easy to get a stable configuration.

Mike

Don't give up on O/c until you try an Athlon or P3 coppermine.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hyper99, be good and don't troll. Just how many people do you see starting threads here about fried CPU's. I've never had a fried cpu. I've always overclocked. Now run along....shu!!! Back to the off-topic Forum for you! :)

ingenue007

Apr 4, 2000
i run my celeron 400 O/Ced to 450 at 1.7 volts. default is 2.00. since i'm running it lower, i am actually extending its life.

now if i can only scrounge up some money to get the celeron 533 and O/C that to 833. WHOO HOO.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hyper99, your extreme ignorance regarding overclocking is showing. You are just embarassing yourself. Why don't you try researching a subject before attacking people who do know what they are doing?

If you tried politely asking, you might even learn something to your benefit.

EDIT: I highly recommend you do not try overclocking. It will probably not work for you and you'll end up frying your CPU!

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I agree, my 850 runs at 1ghz at 1.8v, that's .1v over spec. I may have an occasional crash, but it's due to Winblows 98 or my PC-100 memory. It never gets hotter than 89F under load. Doesn't sound like a kamikaze set-up to me...ooops got to go use my computer before it "dead in the water"....:)

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
CPUs are designed for overclocking. A 2.2V CPU can go straight through 3.0V without being burned out before you purchase a new one , as long as it has enough cooling like water cooling and peltier cooling. Many people dumped their unoverclocked CPUs before they had used 20% life spans of those chips. Water is friendly with motherboard and cpu. When water comes onto a motherboard, nothing will burn out instantly. You will notice that your pc become sluggish till lock out though. Yeah, some people did fry a few CPUs when they pushed things too fast. Those are either novices or mad home scientists.

ConspiracyRaven

Feb 24, 2000
I've ran my K6-2 400 at 3.0V with air cooling. Overheated VERY quickly, but it did POST, and that's all I was shooting for.

Odd anomaly with my CPU: I've had it running @448mhz (4 * 112mhz FSB) and now if I try to put it back to the 100mhz FSB it crashes. It's totally unstable outside of 112mhz FSB. Yes, I do believe I have fried my chip. I still pull a respectable 30fps in Quake 3 in High Quality, and I can play Action Quake 2 no problem, so I'm happy. When I upgrade to a Duron in Q4 of this year once the 760 chipset is out then I think I'll pop out this chip, spend $40 and get a new K6-2 or K6-3 and build a Linux box off of it. I run Linux on it now, so I know it would perform good.

(EDIT)I'm a Senior Member now! Yay! Go me! *Ducks and runs off stage as tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables are thrown at him*(/EDIT)

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
I wouldn't call it ignorant...
Been doing this for years since 95.
Its experimental and don't guarantee to work.
Wouldn't you prefer to be on the safe side and
and play it safe?
ex... get a k6-2 500, run it at 500
I'm fed up with upping voltage when upping the speed
sorry never work for me, done it million of times...
admit it, you just want to showoff and say you take something
and make it so much faster, but what about side effect...
of constant lockup, crashes etc, you kept those a secret huh?
And if it give out alot more heat then usual and having
to use some extreme cooling then it aint efficient and
is obvious it toasting inside.
>>CPUs are designed for overclocking. A 2.2V CPU can go straight through 3.0V>>
Neverheard of that before, funny I thought it was the other way around.
Thats what you think, what about 2.1-2.3v limit?
Then again do whatever you like, but this is fact for me
and I will tell all my friends about it.
infact none of them havent a clue about overclocking.
Ask what they thought about it they say, what are you talking about?!?
LOLOLOLOLOL

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Okay, you're now on my list of trolls: The only other one being Kiriakos.

You are basing your experiences on a k6-2. I already stated above that the k6-2 is a very poor overclocker. My system, o/c to 150mhz FSB on a p3, is 100% stable. It just does not crash. Granted, i'm running win2k, but its been running for 4 days and change now, no crashes whatsoever.

In this time, i've been running rc5 full time, playing nhl99/2000 + running q3 demos overnight. You may get constant crashes overclocking a poor overclocking chip, and for you to presume that our systems crash is pure ignorance. Granted, i do not get 50% increase in performance, but I do get around a 30-40% increase in almost everything(just a guess, games especially).

As far as upping the voltage, i already answered your question, as did many others. No, i do not use extreme cooling. its a PEP66 Alpha heatsink with a Sunon Fan on it. If you call this extreme, then I dont' know what to say to you. My cpu runs at 33 degrees Celsius. AT default Clock speed and default voltage, it runs roughly 3 degrees cooler. I dont' see a problem with heat there. Nor do I with most other overclocked systems on this BBS.

And, as a final note, I find it curious that you come into the Overclocking forum just to attack overclocking. What kind of fooool are you? Don't you realize that most people here are experienced overclockers who know what they're doing(which you obviously don't, since you're trying to o/c k6-2s). And, might I also add that modern-day cpu's run far cooler than k6-2s do.

Mike
Edit: I mean no disrespect to amd, k6-2 users, or Conspiracy raven, but those were truly not the best o/c cpus. This guy is basing his highly subjective and ignorant "opinion" on overclocking one type of cpu.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I agree with Mikewarrior. I normally would suggest you try a more recent chip, but save your money...you could use it to take a remedial spelling class.While you're at it, an English class might be in order.

"It's experimental and don't guarantee to work" Huh?
"I've been doing this for years." What, overclocking K6-2's?
"infact none of them havent a clue about overclocking." Nice.

If you are so interested in playing it safe, you should call Gateway and see if they can make you a special "underclocked" K6-2 computer. Better to be really safe, right?

IF YOU DON"T HAVE ANYTHING USEFUL FOR THIS FORUM, THEN GET THE F*CK OUT

Sorry everyone else, I can't stand rampant stupidity very long.

Bill L.

Oct 19, 1999
Don't usually get on the "Troll Train", but I need the posts to become a Senior Member.

If I learn to double post, do get double credit?

I am relieved though. Since I mostly use my computer (Cel 533A @ 800)to run a moderately successful business, thought I might have to return to 533 MHz when doing business things. If compuwiz1 and Mikewarrior2 say I can overclock then I'm sure it's OK.

So, Question: Can I use my computer for business purposes when it's overclocked?...or am I limited to strictly fun? Or alternatively, must I learn how to make my computer "crash" when I have it overclocked? Any help on this vital issue would be appreciated.

Bill

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thank you for placing me in the CompuWiz, but he is the true master here. He's probably been doing it for a lot longer than I have.

now for the rest of your post, i can't tell whether you're screwing around or being serious? if serious, then, make sure your system is stable before doinga nything "vital" on it. Run Prime95 for at least 36 hours to make sure your system won't crash even under the harshest conditions.

If it hangs in there during the test period, you shouldn't have a problem doing your business on it. It is highly unlikely that your business apps will push your cpu as hard as Prime95(or equivelant program) will. Unless you work on Lightwave, or 3dStudio max.. :)

Mike

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I would like to apologize for my outburst. I just really hate to see someone come into this forum and start posting useless posts. I have learned SOOOO MUCH in this forum. I owe all my good fortune in overclocking to the people in this forum. I enjoy getting help from the members, as well as giving help to members. I have had nothing but good results in my FIRST o/c project. I mean I bought a Athlon, a good mobo and here I am running at a cool 1ghz with no GFD. I would have never have been able to do that without the advice and help from this forum. Once again, sorry.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Hyper99, we took a vote and we call your post completely ignorant. Your are the overclocking Troll. Try doing research before posting anymore insulting and useless crap. We know better.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah, K6/2 isn't a good overclocking candidate. I have two k6/2 chips. None of them went more than 100Mhz out of spec. They run very hot comparing with Intel CPUs. AMD CPUs, nonetheless, are supposed to run up to 65-75 Cel. degrees anyway.

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Hyper99: OH MAN. Overclocking troll! This guy is coming PURPOSELY here to the Overclocking forum to start a flame war! LOL

This guy is basing his experiences with a crap overclocker, a puny K6-2 500, which is a very hot sonovabitch. You just can't pump it much further.

He's completely blind to see other technologies. Most of us overclockers are jumping to new architectures already! Celerons, Coppermines, Athlons now. Durons, Thunderbirds, Willamette in the future!

Currently I picked up a Coppermine 650E with the new CBO stepping rated at 900mhz! I'm currently running this baby at 880mhz on default voltage and on a retail heatsink(only my slow RAM is holding me back beyond 135mhz)! I'm picking up the Alpha P3125 to work with my 68W peltier. I'm aiming for 1Ghz, and thinking that I spent only $200 on this chip its WELL worth taking the risk. Besides its not even a HUGE risk at all, I haven't even bumped the voltage! Since 1992, I've been overclocking, and so far there hasn't been a fried CPU as of yet.

Before you say anything more, YOU NEED TO RESEARCH!

EDIT: CPUs are rated through overclocking, how do you think Intel tests and rates their processors that rolls through the assembly line? They test each processor at their HIGHEST Stable speed. Then they slap the "number of them". If all their chips can run at a higher yield e.g. 900 mhz, they still slap the 650, 700, 733, 800, 900 MHZ number on it, hence the NEW cBO stepping. Theres no loss for Intel, each and every processor they make costs around the same: the same number of transistors, same process, and raw silicon.

DEX

sorry never work for me, done it million of times...
admit it, you just want to showoff and say you take something
and make it so much faster, but what about side effect...
of constant lockup, crashes etc, you kept those a secret huh?
And if it give out alot more heat then usual and having
to use some extreme cooling then it aint efficient and
is obvious it toasting inside

You my friend are obviously ignorant in the overclocking field.
Everyone of my pc's are overclocked to one degree or another and not one of them has crashed from overclocking them.
You have done it a million times already?
Well if this is true then you would not be posting such inane drool over these boards.
If you have nothing to contribute to this fine forum we have,leave

It's obvious that you just want to argue over something you know nothing about.I define that as being a Troll.

Look closely at my sig ;)

Dameon

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Finally, Roger come to lay the smack down and tell it like it is.

Roger, would you mind if we changed your elite member monicker to something like TrollHunter?