to much data

dalene

Feb 4, 2013
I installed win 7 on an 256gb ssd with very little apps and nothing in libraries. Added all folders including hidden folders, about 30-35gb. in my computer, it says I have 190gb of data. Where did all the data come from cant find it in the ssd. Any suggestions

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Are you sure it doesn't say 190 GB free? 190+35=225, which is roughly what Windows would show as the volume size on a 256 GB drive.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I just installed Windows 7 on the 256GB SSD, and after all the updates it was around 35GB.

dalene

Feb 4, 2013
I found out where all the data is. 16329.7MB on the page file, 109281.9MB on system volume information or when I expand the tree, 109270.2 on system restore, 12247.2 on the hiberfile.sys and 22535.7 on windows. The rest is small amounts for things like programs. After deleting the hiberfile.sys, I have .4MB for bootmgr file. I tried several different things but for some reason I'm unable to delete system restore files. Any suggestions. I should mention I used a free program called Resize to find the additional data, works well. Will leave 22.5gb in recycle bin till I confirm stability of windows 7

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
There is a program called Disk Cleanup that will you get rid of all the Windows related stuff that is saved on the disk but not really needed. You can search for it from the Start Menu.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Deleting Hiberfile won't solve anything, it will re-create it on shutdown. You have to disable it, I would suggest you don't, so won't tell you how but a quick search will.

Deleting your System-restore would be priority 1.

Right-Click "My Computer" - Properties (or Control Panel - System)
Advanced system settings
System Protection

Then either resize the allotted space, or delete current data entirely (up to you if you want to re-enable it after).

If you choose to resize, you might have to run disk-clean-up before it actually resizes.

Page/Swapfile can be resized as well from that same dialog: Advanced - Performance - Settings.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Deleting Hiberfile won't solve anything, it will re-create it on shutdown. You have to disable it, I would suggest you don't, so won't tell you how but a quick search will.

Deleting your System-restore would be priority 1.

Right-Click "My Computer" - Properties (or Control Panel - System)
Advanced system settings
System Protection

Then either resize the allotted space, or delete current data entirely (up to you if you want to re-enable it after).

If you choose to resize, you might have to run disk-clean-up before it actually resizes.

Page/Swapfile can be resized as well from that same dialog: Advanced - Performance - Settings.

I think disabling hibernation is one of tweaks Samsung Magician does. I've also seen that suggested in several SSD optimization guides.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Sorry, stuck in Windows 8 land, it uses it differently... yeah, if you're using Win7 and don't use hibernate, then by all means disable it. You can also shrink the size of it if you still use hibernate.

Start an elevated command prompt.

Disable:
powercfg -h off

Shrink:
powercfg -h /size 50
(50% of RAM, which is the minimum, might be this size already)

dalene

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks gentlemen, I seem to have all my data issues resolved. As I mentioned my PC is confg. with duel boot OS, on my win 7 256 ssd I brought the data from 190gb to 47gb. In my win 8 1tb hhd, I brought the data down from 340gb to 234gb (56gb on steam and 46gb on origin an other 78gb in my libraries, other than that win 8 wouldn't be that big. Both Os run great.
I have purchased a ocz revodrive max iops ssd and plan on transferring win 8 onto it. Can I reinstall windows on it then use a system image as not to have to download all my games again, the small town I live in has a maximum download speed of 256 mb/s. Also I would like to know if there is a way to have all my other data install directly on the 1tb hhd after.

Last edited: