To join Formula-BOINC 2023 or not?

Should we join Formula-BOINC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
It's time again for us to decide whether we should join the competition site known as Formula-BOINC or FB for short.

In my opinion, I don't think we should. We didn't participate in it much in 2021 and even less so in 2022. While the team mostly focused on the Primegrid Challenge series (we took 1st overall) and the Pentathlon in May (where we also took 1st overall). Then the new site, hosted by myself, BOINC-Games.com which had it's first beta year this year and should be ready to go next year.

Since the team as a whole hasn't participated in Formula-BOINC in 2 years now, it in my opinion, just doesn't look good when we don't place very high in the rankings due to lack of interest. Even if 1 or 2 people do try to keep up with Formula-BOINC I can't imagine it being much fun due to the overall lack of interest.

It's also with my understanding that Formula-BOINC is going with individual stats this year (wonder where they got that from...) so even if 1 or 2 members do want to participate in FB this year, they can do so individually without the team even joining.

While it's not up to me to pick, I figure we could make a poll asking the team if we should or should not join.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
It would be up to me to register, but I'll respect the results of the poll. (Unless new members flood it or something.)

Like I said on Discord, "do nothing" is an easy instruction to follow.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I know we spoke on Discord about it and that I'm strongly against it joining for the 2023 year. I don't think it's fair for me or any single person to dictate such a decision. So I've made a poll to see if what I believe is what everyone else feels.

I also made the poll so we can see who votes on what. That way outsiders can't skew the results.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
My Mommy told me not to do things just because everyone else is doing it. So I voted Yes, even though I really wanted to succumb to peer pressure and say No just like all of the cool kids. :D

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Even though I voted no, I can't help but think that failure of the TeAm to sign up may be seen as an incentive to leave the team.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Even though I voted no, I can't help but think that failure of the TeAm to sign up may be seen as an incentive to leave the team.

I think the only people on the team who care about competitions will be the ones voting and most of them (sans comical votes) will vote no anyway. Everyone else either runs F@H only (no F@H on FB) and runs their favorite projects exclusively regardless of competitions anyway.

Those who want competitions have plenty to choose from that run a fair competition in which we do participate in. Pentathlon, PG Challenge series, WCG Birthday race and BOINCGames.

Reactions: Fardringle

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
You can sign up yourself and participate individually.
I'm not visible in the members stats. Apparently your team needs to registered in order for member stats to show up. So much for that idea.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Someone said it would be good from a recruiting standpoint. And I agree with that. Just to be on any kind of challenge / stats is worthwhile. If you want idiots like myself showing up. :)

So really think about this one? HAHA

Happy New Year!

Reactions: Fardringle

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Someone said it would be good from a recruiting standpoint. And I agree with that. Just to be on any kind of challenge / stats is worthwhile. If you want idiots like myself showing up. :)

So really think about this one? HAHA

Happy New Year!
I don't have a horse in this race but have had many discussions about pros and cons over the years on this topic. Historically, teams that kick butt and lead challenges typically get the majority of the new recruits because they are typically just jumping to be on the best team or the best team that fit what they aren't getting from the old team. Rarely does a competition result in non-team affiliated members seaking out a team. So, with that said, having a team performing poor typically will not result in new members unless it is a temporary pawn game like we saw at Formula-BOINC and other challenges.

Reactions: cellarnoise

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I'm for all new idiots going down this rabbit hole with good intentions?

If they want to team up with the most righteous team of Anandtech, they will have a better? ;) Afterlife? But whatever they want! Double afterlife 😂
Edit. In this life their life might just have a teeny-weenie lager electric bill. Never more than a caffeine drink a month, unless you can add ;)

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
I'm not visible in the members stats. Apparently your team needs to registered in order for member stats to show up. So much for that idea.
This.

I had registered and got this in in the PM

"Please, note if your team is not registered, you will not visible in the ranking."

No point in anyone participating if the team is not registered.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not against team registration if individual members wish to participate. But it's too late for me to change my vote.

Reactions: Ken g6

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
That sounds like a problem with Formula-BOINC. They can easily make individuals visible on the individual rankings without a team affiliation. BOINCGames can do this and they're starting to copy a lot of the features that I've done so they just as well can copy that, too.

Reactions: Ken g6