Question To high temperatures on mb ?

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
Hello.

to me it looks like my mb temperatures are to high, so ive contacted the shop where i bought my pc and they say that HWMonitor often shows wrong temperatures and that i should use Asus Suite Ai 3 for temperatures instead, but it seems weird to me that HWMonitor should show wrong temperatures since everyone on the internet is recommending this program for temperatures and i have never heard anyone else recommend Asus Ai Suite 3 for it, so i contacted Asus support and they are saying that there is either something wrong with my motherboard or the sensors on it, so ive send a mail to the shop where i bought the pc with the correspondence between Asus support and me asking if they can fix it. But what do you guys think, is the shop just trying to get away from fixing the problem or does Asus support not know what they are talking about and the shop is correct ? Personally it seems like the shop doesnt want to take responsibility for the motherboard they sold to me. I will leave scr shots of temperatures from both programs.

the motherboard is Prime B660M-K D4

Asus AI Suite 3 mb temperatur.JPGmb for høje temperaturer.JPG

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
They look fine to be honest. The 12700F consumes up to 180Watts of power and can reach up to 100 degrees Celcius.

What kind of cooler did they use? An AIO or air cooler?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What version of HWMonitor are you running? Current one is 1.50.1

here's mine:

acu.png

Last edited:
Reactions: daveybrat
Jul 27, 2020
The easiest way to know if temps are too high is to use your nose.

I'm NOT kidding!

I can smell the metal heatsink on my GPU when it runs hot.

So just open your case and try to smell if something smells weird.

93 or 118C should smell pretty bad.

Reactions: john3850

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
What version of HWMonitor are you running? Current one is 1.50.1

here's mine:

acu.png

When i press update it says i have the newest version available

The easiest way to know if temps are too high is to use your nose.

I'm NOT kidding!

I can smell the metal heatsink on my GPU when it runs hot.

So just open your case and try to smell if something smells weird.

93 or 118C should smell pretty bad.

I always have the case off because my case have bad airflow and having it off lower the temperatures, there is nothing to smell though.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Try HWInfo64 instead. And add some fans or get a new case. Even the slightest bit of airflow can reduce motherboard temps significantly.

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
Try HWInfo64 instead. And add some fans or get a new case. Even the slightest bit of airflow can reduce motherboard temps significantly.
So you think my temperatures is to high ? Everyone else is just saying that its the sensors that cant read the temperatures wich is why im getting odd temperatures like 8 degrees and 118 degrees etc. And that i should only worry about mainboard and vcore temp ?

Jul 27, 2020
I think you are right, but then Photos is telling me to get new fans and a new case, so yeah ...
Well, that's never bad advice. Temps do get toasty in summer without good airflow. Lower temps ensure longer component life. Unless you are in the habit of replacing your hardware every year, it's a good idea to have good airflow through your case.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
So you think my temperatures is to high ? Everyone else is just saying that its the sensors that cant read the temperatures wich is why im getting odd temperatures like 8 degrees and 118 degrees etc. And that i should only worry about mainboard and vcore temp ?
No I'm telling you to add fans or get a better case because you said you run with an open case due to bad air flow. It's never a bad thing to lower temps even when they are within specifications. It promotes stability and longevity.

I prefer HWInfo64 over hardware monitor as well although the latter can be simpler to use.

Last edited:

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
Well, that's never bad advice. Temps do get toasty in summer without good airflow. Lower temps ensure longer component life. Unless you are in the habit of replacing your hardware every year, it's a good idea to have good airflow through your case.

No I'm telling you to add fans or get a better case because you said you run with an open case due to bad air flow. It's never a bad thing to lower temps even when they are within specifications. It promotes stability and longevity.

I prefer HWInfo64 over hardware monitor as well although the latter can be simpler to use.

you can see my mb temps, so if they are fine i dont wanna change anything. My GPU temps are fine and my CPU temps maximum hit 65-70 degrees under heavy load and all the way down to 15 at idle, so i think they are fine ? But yeah i have bad airflow because i have nxzt H510, but it helps having the side off.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Good grief, how much of peoples' time do you want to take up for an issue that is not a problem except for your lack of understanding?

OBVIOUSLY some of those temperatures in HWMonitor aren't correct, as there are not that many temps being sensed in the first place. This situation has been around *forever*.

If your CPU is dropping to 15C and that is accurate, then you couldn't possibly have ambient temperatures high enough to worry about either.

How much does removing the case side panel cause the temperature to drop? It is very unlikely you need to do that. That case does not have cooling that is especially bad, unless you have a high power video card and set fan response to temperature too low.

I would never go by smell, to determine if something is overheating as silicon doesn't necessarily give up a bad smell until too hot to be stable, but do find TOUCH to be a better indicator, or a thermal gun.

Go into your bios and see what it's reporting there. It is likely to show all the important, and accurate temperatures (besides GPU, or HDD, etc external to board parts).

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
Good grief, how much of peoples' time do you want to take up for an issue that is not a problem except for your lack of understanding?

OBVIOUSLY some of those temperatures in HWMonitor aren't correct, as there are not that many temps being sensed in the first place. This situation has been around *forever*.

If your CPU is dropping to 15C and that is accurate, then you couldn't possibly have ambient temperatures high enough to worry about either.

How much does removing the case side panel cause the temperature to drop? It is very unlikely you need to do that. That case does not have cooling that is especially bad, unless you have a high power video card and set fan response to temperature too low.

I would never go by smell, to determine if something is overheating as silicon doesn't necessarily give up a bad smell until too hot to be stable, but do find TOUCH to be a better indicator, or a thermal gun.

Go into your bios and see what it's reporting there. It is likely to show all the important, and accurate temperatures (besides GPU, or HDD, etc external to board parts).

Well if i knew what you are stating, i wouldnt have have contacted the shop, Asus and forums with my question in the first place, im not here to waste other peoples time or my own. But i do understand now that Asus sensors are usually worse than on other mb's and because of that its not reading most of the temperatures and that the only ones to care about is mainboard and Vcore (albeit socket sense).

Removing the side panel makes it drop with around 5-10 degrees i think, it was noticeable enough for me to keep it off atleast and i have set my fans in BIOS so that my CPU never goes above 80 degrees even at heavy load and i havent seen any temperatures worth worrying about in BIOS or anyt other program, its only in HWMonitor.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
But i do understand now that Asus sensors are usually worse than on other mb's and because of that its not reading most of the temperatures and that the only ones to care about is mainboard and Vcore (albeit socket sense).

It's not that the motherboard isn't reading most of the temperatures, rather that HWMonitor doesn't recognize that board, plus some of the temperatures don't exist. What would be the point of measuring a dozen extra things that never overheat?

I can appreciate you wanting to make sure the system is running correctly, but there is no direct evidence that it isn't, like instability or any features not working.

Last edited:

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
It's not that the motherboard isn't reading most of the temperatures, rather that HWMonitor doesn't recognize that board, plus some of the temperatures don't exist. What would be the point of measuring a dozen extra things that never overheat?

I can appreciate you wanting to make sure the system is running correctly, but there is no direct evidence that it isn't, like instability or any features not working.

So they put names that doesnt exist ? Wich ones ?

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Figure it out yourself. Put system in hibernate so it's up & running in single-digit seconds, open HWMonitor, see which temps rise.

Why waste time on it? If the system is stable, it's not like you're going to be constantly watching those irrelevant #'s in the future so just forget about them.

BossSiggy

Mar 17, 2023
Figure it out yourself. Put system in hibernate so it's up & running in single-digit seconds, open HWMonitor, see which temps rise.

Why waste time on it? If the system is stable, it's not like you're going to be constantly watching those irrelevant #'s in the future so just forget about them.
So you mean that the temperatures that isnt moving is fake ones ? And yeah im just curious i guess, i dont know.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yes, any temp that stays the same from the moment you turn the system on, till much later, is not really a temperature reading. Even things that create no heat will rise in response to the ambient temp in the case. If as you state, merely putting the case side panel on raises the temperatures by 5-10C, then any real temp reading should also rise.

This concludes my input in this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: BossSiggy