To file a police report or not for hit and run

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
So today the kid and I were driving to Lowes to get some parts to fix the sink.

We were driving on a two lanes road and staying on the right lane (blue).

A VW was driving on the left lane (red), and i guessed he tried to take that exit to Brentwood street but he was missing it... So he merged late, and while doing so hit the left rear side of my car. It happend at the green circle.

After hitting me, his car jumped the curb and just continue to drive away.

Since the road elevates like an overpass, we could not back up or get off until we got to the next light. He was long gone by then.

The wheel cap had some scratch, and the rear bumper on the left side had a few small scratch as well. The Forester still drive just fine, so I don't think there is any damage to the axial.

I have a dash cam but it was still hard to make out the plate numbers. Therefore, I am not sure if reporting to police would do any good. I might ask my insurance to see if I should file a claim.

1679108257860.png

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Report it for insurance purposes if nothing else. I'd also hope they can track down the vehicle/driver. Even if there's no damage, that is NOT acceptable to hit someone and just drive off. They should be held responsible IMHO.

Reactions: nisryus
Nov 17, 2019
Brings up a question I've been pondering.

Suggestions for a dash cam system?

Front and rear cameras.
Minimal, unobtrusive wiring.
Record more than a few minutes before looping. Prefer a couple of hours.
Log speed and possible weather (temp, etc.).

Reactions: nisryus and Pohemi

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Since nobody was injured, unless they stumble onto him/her the VW driver isn't getting caught.

Even so the advice to file a police report is sound. :)

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
It may be that not much would happen to the driver that took off, but if the plate number can be identified, then the driver can be tracked down. The insurance might like to know their ID as well.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Brings up a question I've been pondering.

Suggestions for a dash cam system?

Front and rear cameras.
Minimal, unobtrusive wiring.
Record more than a few minutes before looping. Prefer a couple of hours.
Log speed and possible weather (temp, etc.).
They pretty much all do that. You will have to run wiring...and that's usually not fun no matter what kind of car you have. So not sure how wiring could be "unobtrusive". Minimum is one power cable and a cable between front and rear camera.

Reactions: Pohemi

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It may be that not much would happen to the driver that took off, but if the plate number can be identified, then the driver can be tracked down. The insurance might like to know their ID as well.

I remember I was riding shotgun with my friend in his new van and while pulling up to a tollbooth in NY some a$$-clown in an old station wagon smashed right into us while cutting him off and didn't even turn his head!

This was back when not only were toll-booths manned, but there was an actual uniformed cop in most of them, so we pulled right up to the officer, reported the hit & run then pointed to the station wagon sitting right in front of us. (this is a felony in NY btw)

His reply? "what the fvck you want me to do?" :p:rolleyes:

Nearly 50% of murder-cases go unsolved in the US every year. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I have a dash cam but it was still hard to make out the plate numbers.
Dashcams are meant to record the video of your driving and any accident that might occur. Not primarily for making out the licence plate of other vehicles,
several factors make it difficult due to some limitations of most dashcams. Hopefully that changes soon. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: nisryus

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
Ahhhh, thx Skorpi0.

I have the Vantrue N2S 4k, just did not selected the highest 4k resolution..