To cache thumbnails or not to cache thumbnails (XP)

wallsfd949

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2003
With the advent of XP came the thumbnail cache and filmstrip view. This has proved to be a pain in some instances.

There are a few directories that I want XP to cache thumbnails in (my photos) where the images are >2.5MB ea and >300 in a directory and it takes a significantly large time to render these. There are many directories that I do not want thumbnails cached (webdesign is on) as the 'thumbs.db' file has proved to be troublesome when dragging directories over to the server.

Then, when I view my CF card, it always shows up as thumbnails no matter what I try. Detail view is what I want because it takes forever to render the images on a CF card.

Is there a way to turn on thumbnail caching on certain directories and only show detail view in others (specific drives)?

RVN

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
There is no way to selectively do it automatically to my knowledge, but...

You could uncheck "do not cache" thumbnails, open the folders with the pictures you want cached, close them and then check the box not to cache them.

wallsfd949

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2003
I'm 90% sure that is a universal switch. If it's ticked, it caches for any directory you open/view.... I guess I could check out picassa..